Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Specific Product Linking Code?
    Hi,

    Would a SAS representative please tell me how to create a specific product linking code to one of the essie nail polish colors from the ESSIE Spring 06 Collection for Just4Beauty.com? Does Just4Beauty.com make specific product links available?

    It seems as if I am limited to a small number of promotional banners that pitch Just4Beauty.com.
    I like to take a specific product and write a review for it.

    Although I'll use banners hear and there, a bunch of banners is just clutter.
    I want to deal with specific product links.

    Thanks in advance
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador HumbleFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    680
    Hi Rhia7,

    Just surf to the product that you want and take the url and then use the "Create a Custom Link to a Page" feature at SAS (it's on the first page after you log in)... Also, if you want to run the link with a picture of the product just save the img to desktop and upload it to your server and then put graphics link between the link you made like:

    (a href="")(img src="")(br)Name of product Here(/a) ... Replace () with <> to make it work.

    Love You,
    HumbleFish

  3. #3
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleFish
    Hi Rhia7,

    Just surf to the product that you want and take the url and then use the "Create a Custom Link to a Page" feature at SAS (it's on the first page after you log in)... Also, if you want to run the link with a picture of the product just save the img to desktop and upload it to your server and then put graphics link between the link you made like:

    (a href="")(img src="")(br)Name of product Here(/a) ... Replace () with <> to make it work.

    Love You,
    HumbleFish
    Thanks so much for the help. Do affiliates need to request permission in order to use an image?

    Thanks for the help
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador thecool's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2005
    Location
    Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
    Posts
    608
    Yes, unless it is otherwise stated in TOS.

    Gene
    TCS

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador HumbleFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by thecool
    Yes, unless it is otherwise stated in TOS.

    Gene
    TCS
    Your welcome, and when you ask them be sure to tell them that you'll be running the image off of your server/host so that you won't be using up their bandwidth; I'm pretty sure they won't mind... I have two Venders that allow me to do it that way.

    Love You,
    HumbleFish

  6. #6
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    224
    I don't understand this. So there are merchants who won't allow you to use their pictures? How do you sell their products?

  7. #7
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by bethany
    I don't understand this. So there are merchants who won't allow you to use their pictures? How do you sell their products?
    Copyright and Trademarks give merchants exclusive rights to some pictures/media/etc. It is up to the copyright owner to grant access.

    As afffiliates we usually don't deal with the source company, we deal with a distributing company. The distributing company may have images they wish to keep exclusive unto themselves; in that case, affiliates would only be allowed to sell with text and banners supplied by the merchants.

    I know from experience that I do well with specific product links (with a picture). Banners alone don't do it for me.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  8. #8
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    224
    Thanks Rhia, that makes sense.

  9. #9
    Member RWorld's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2005
    Posts
    101
    Yes, unless it is otherwise stated in TOS.

    Gene
    TCS
    You are kidding, right?
    If you had to wait for permission to be granted from merchants before you could use their images, you'd never get anywhere (from my experience with their general lack of communicating ability)

    My opinion would be that unless the merchant says otherwise, you are implicitly granted permission to use their images, especially in the cases where datafeeds are involved, as they provide you with the URLs to them.
    <font size="1"><strong>[URL=http://www.thechesszone.com]TheChessZone[/URL]</strong> Chess sets and supplies.<br><strong>[URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=9515]Join our affiliate program[/URL]</strong> Up to 12% commission!

  10. #10
    ABW Ambassador HumbleFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    680
    Rhia, I was also thinking that if the merchant offers a data feed you could glean image urls and links from there... Just get CSved and OpenOffice (use the spreadsheet feature in OpenOffice): they are both free programs that You can use to sort through and organize the data feeds to glean what you want; search for them on the net.

    And also, check and see if the merchant offers products through the make a page feature, you can get images and links through there... I've done that before.

    Love You,
    HumbleFish
    Last edited by HumbleFish; March 31st, 2006 at 11:45 AM. Reason: wording

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2006
    Location
    The Sunny Southland
    Posts
    3
    I just signed up and found this thread! I went thru the make a page feature at shareasale and found that the merchant that had the product that I wanted to feature has NO product links listed.
    What do I do? Do I email Kids Land and ask them to send html or ask if I can use their graphic?
    If so, whom do we contact at each vendor? I'm like the previous poster, I do best with photo links.
    BTW, I'm very glad I found you guys!

  12. #12
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleFish
    And also, check and see if the merchant offers products through the make a page feature, you can get images and links through there... I've done that before.
    Love You,
    HumbleFish
    So far the individual product images I have used from SAS have come from their "make a page" feature. I don't use that feature to make pages, I usually use that feature to get specific items or ones that "come up" on the search and are closely related or would work in my site somehow. The only problem is that at times can be the "round about way" of getting the actual product image.

    Not every company participates in that method.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  13. #13
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by uniquebabygear
    I just signed up and found this thread! I went thru the make a page feature at shareasale and found that the merchant that had the product that I wanted to feature has NO product links listed.
    What do I do? Do I email Kids Land and ask them to send html or ask if I can use their graphic?
    If so, whom do we contact at each vendor? I'm like the previous poster, I do best with photo links.
    BTW, I'm very glad I found you guys!
    Find the merchant through the View & Search Merchant List and then look at the merchant details. There's a general link that says "Contact this merchant" I guess that's an initial start.

    You can also see what AMs appear under "Make a Page" located beneath "Get Links" and/or "Tools."

    I'm fairly new with SAS. I'm used to CJ & LS.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  14. #14
    ABW Ambassador HumbleFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    So far the individual product images I have used from SAS have come from their "make a page" feature. I don't use that feature to make pages, I usually use that feature to get specific items or ones that "come up" on the search and are closely related or would work in my site somehow. The only problem is that at times can be the "round about way" of getting the actual product image.

    Not every company participates in that method.
    I figure that if the links or images are in the pagemaker or datafeed they're fair game... Surely if they make them available they don't care how we implement them as long as we don't bring shame upon them... We are the publishers after all, and have to be granted some liberty.
    Last edited by HumbleFish; April 4th, 2006 at 01:34 AM. Reason: wording, spelling

  15. #15
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Well, I usually don't want the page created by "Page Maker."

    I'll usually specify one link across and 8 down so I can see what appears. Page Maker offers some specifics, but it's not always exactly what the webmaster had in mind. Sometimes I am pleased and Page Maker reveals something better than I had in mind. I cut away the "page portions" and keep the links with the pictures and the descriptions.

    I have not tried data feed yet, I may at some future date.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  16. #16
    Super Sh!t Stirrer SSanf's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    9,944
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

  17. #17
    ABW Ambassador HumbleFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Well, I usually don't want the page created by "Page Maker."

    I'll usually specify one link across and 8 down so I can see what appears. Page Maker offers some specifics, but it's not always exactly what the webmaster had in mind. Sometimes I am pleased and Page Maker reveals something better than I had in mind. I cut away the "page portions" and keep the links with the pictures and the descriptions.

    I have not tried data feed yet, I may at some future date.
    That's about what I do, I just take what I want from the page... Works for me.

    The datafeeds take a little while to figure out but with the two progs I told you about they're pretty easy... Just download the progs, and download a availiable datafeed from one of the merchants (it's just a text file) and open it up with the OpenOffice Spread Sheet and you'll be able to figure it out pretty easy (you can sort the links and all kinds of stuff)... Just make sure that you put your account number and other required info into the links before you publish them so you get the credit for the traffic/sales.
    Last edited by HumbleFish; April 4th, 2006 at 04:38 PM. Reason: wording

  18. #18

  19. #19
    ABW Ambassador HumbleFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    680
    Thanks SSanf,

    Can you link to any image that way?... And are all the merchants ok with it?

  20. #20
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Is OpenOffice.org like a web merge?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  21. #21
    ABW Ambassador HumbleFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Is OpenOffice.org like a web merge?
    No, it's like Microsoft Office.

  22. #22
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleFish
    No, it's like Microsoft Office.
    Thanks for the link, but I have Microsoft Office

    uniCSVed (an Unicode compatible CSV editor) looks as if it might be helpful.

    http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm

    I own a MySQL book published by Wiley and CORE PHP programming: would those books help in the future datafeed venture?

    Right now I am not so interested in feed. I am disappointed that some of my Shareasale merchants are not providing adequate specific product (with picture) links. I don't really want an entire feed because I don't do mall sites, I create niche sites.

    Thank you for your help, HumbleFish.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  23. #23
    ABW Ambassador JudiMoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    In Razerback country.
    Posts
    1,911
    In SAS, take a look at what's available through Make A Page, then go to Specific Product Linking code[U] and do a search with one of the terms you picked up. You'll get back various methods of linking to that specific product. It's very easy except that the search feature doesn't always return things you know they have. That's why if I'm having problems, I see what the merchant called it in Make A Page.

  24. #24
    ABW Ambassador HumbleFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    680
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Thanks for the link, but I have Microsoft Office

    uniCSVed (an Unicode compatible CSV editor) looks as if it might be helpful.

    http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm

    I own a MySQL book published by Wiley and CORE PHP programming: would those books help in the future datafeed venture?

    Right now I am not so interested in feed. I am disappointed that some of my Shareasale merchants are not providing adequate specific product (with picture) links. I don't really want an entire feed because I don't do mall sites, I create niche sites.

    Thank you for your help, HumbleFish.
    Well, if you have Microsoft Office you should be all set... Just open the datafeed (text file) up in your spread sheet thingy and you'll be able to sort everything out and find the products and images that your merchant offers.

    And as far as you're not interested in feeds because your making niche sites... That's what feeds are good for... Say like you have a niche site featuring cows, You can sort through a merchants whole site and bring up all the cows that site contains and then make a page featuring only those products, you don't have to use the whole feed... I use webmerge to set up the links and images works pretty well.

    And if you're going to run PHP make sure that your host/server has support for it (that would be the first step that I recommend if you want to learn it); otherwise you'll be sorry and wasting alot of time (like I did)... You can run it off your personal computer like I did and learn some but it's time consuming and you never really accomplish much because the server your actually on doesn't support it... Your books would come in handy though, if your server supports it.

  25. #25
    ABW Ambassador HumbleFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    680
    Oh and concerning "uniCSVed", I've never used that one; I only used the "CSVed" program- there are two different programs on that page.

    http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/t2t/text2table.htm

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: October 2nd, 2006, 06:13 AM
  2. Specific Product Linking Code
    By Rhia7 in forum ShareASale - SAS
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 4th, 2006, 12:52 PM
  3. Linking to a specific product in CJ
    By www.TechDealCity.com in forum Commission Junction - CJ
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: June 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •