Unhappy Help with 1and1
    I woke up this morning to find something rather alarming has happened. When I try to log in to my 1and1 account, I see that its "Status" has been set to "locked". I can't access my email or even my site through my borwser (I get a "Forbidden" error).

My first thought was that my credit card information was outdated, as I just received a new one in the mail, so I went in and was able to change that.

This is no good, though! I didn't receive any notices from 1and1 about why they might be locking my account, so I have no idea what's going on. I've emailed both support and billing. Has this happened to anyone else?

Call the number below for 1&1's free, expert technical support 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.
    1-877-HELP-AT-1AND1 (1-877-435-7281)
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Gingerbread, do you also have your domain registered through them, or just the hosting?

Both my domains and my hosting are through them. I got it all sorted out, but I'm still not pleased. Apparently they locked my account because they had outdated credit card information on file for me. Fair enough, but the last invoice I was sent was a couple of months ago, and at that time my credit card information WAS up to date.

The invoice said they would automatically charge my card, and I never heard another peep from them. No notice that my credit card had declined (I got a new one last week, so 1and1 apparently waited 1.5 months or more to actually bill me?), and no notice saying they were about to lock my account. Now they're charging everything to my new credit card, and with a "late fee" to boot.

Thanks for the support #, Rhia. Unfortunately with my account (which is a free professional package deal that I got as a promo a few years ago), there's no technical support by phone. I was able to call their general number and speak to someone, though.

ABW Ambassador
    Gingerbread, things like this are the reason I've never yet registered a domain name at the same place as the hosting, so that there's freedom to move a site if and when necessary, for any reason, with no hindrances or strings attached..

I understand sometimes a domain comes along with special deals, but is it mandatory that you keep the domain registered there, or could you move it?

I had one registered there a couple of years ago and when I left I was able to move it no problem. I'm actually considering moving back to 1 and 1, which is why I stopped by this thread. Anybody have any issues with them besides this one?

I do agree about having domains registered elsewhere. I keep all of mine at GoDaddy and have nothing else there except the domain account.

IMO registering a domain thru them is no problem unless you ever intend to move or sell it.

webworker: I'm not sure if I could move my domains over elsewhere, but I may look into the possibility now. Good point about keeping them separate just in case.

I'm just happy that this got resolved relatively quickly....although I'm still a bit miffed about the late fee.

I must say that I never had any problems with 1and1. I have some domains registered with them (also some registered elsewhere) and everything runs smoothly.

I can recall only one downtime since the 2 years I signed up with them, so I have no complaints.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    My only complaint with them is that their control panel/account area is WAY TO SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW.

It is like pulling teeth to move around within it.

They also will not give out information about their servers. I asked how much memory was allocated to each account on their shared servers because I needed to know if I could run the allposters script to install an allposters store and was told that they can not give that information out. Sucks since I PAY for that account.

Needless to say, I gave it a try and the memory ran out after about 3 folders were inflated, so it must not be much.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

I have a account with 1and1. As per reliability, uptime etc, they have been responsive and I have hardly any downtime in the last couple of years.

The only issue I have with them is that for shared hosting, they do not allow direct connection to SQL / Database from your desktop - using Enterpise Manager to connect to database is disallowed. They have a funky control panel database interface for uploading data which becomes unusable for large amount of data. Otherwise, bandwidth vs cost, they come out ok.

Hi,

I have and some experience with 1 and 1. I have to say it was not pleasant. When I started with them. I was for their hosting package. I had a domain transfered over to then to be host with them as well. But that never happened. They allowed me to transfer the domain over but then it was down... Down for several days. So I asked that it be moved back to the original domain company. It took me over a month and a half for them to finally do this.

I have to say that I would never use this company again! I do know alot of people that love them. They are just not my cup of tea!

Natalie

Quote Originally Posted by Xion
    I have a account with 1and1. As per reliability, uptime etc, they have been responsive and I have hardly any downtime in the last couple of years.
    I spoke too soon. Since yesterday, some of my sites have been down at 1AND1 - they upgraded from ASP.NET 1.1 to 2.0 and none of the .NET (.ASPX etc) pages works any more. It seems lots of customers are facing the same issue.

Today was totally wasted talking numerous times with their customer service. It has been over 24 hours that their service were disrupted - nobody has an clue when it will get fixed.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread