Updating feeds questions
    I've just begun using parts of several different datafeeds for a couple of my niche sites. In making my master database, I changed a lot of the original info (added/subtracted/moved columns, edited descriptions and names,etc).

Now I'm faced with a gorgeous master database that I have no idea how to update intelligently. Is there a trick in Excel (using the SKU column), so that I can compare my Master database with the latest datafeeds, adding or subtracting the necessary lines?

I'm sooo confused, end up sorting stuff uselessly, trying to filter unique records, but not getting anywhere. If anyone has a methodology to share, I'll be ever so grateful.

Ah, found a great little Excel tool today, Synkronizer. That, combined with a few macros and I'm pointed in the right direction (though always open to ideas and suggestions!!).

Updating feeds
    Find someone to build a script that will login to your affiliate networks and grab the feeds by ftp "Like Shareasale offers ftp access to datafeeds" After the script grabs the datafeed files the feeds are then imported into your database. You can set a cron job to do this daily or even have the script read you email for feed updates and run the script to import the updated feed.

I've been looking at that post longingly for a couple weeks, now. That'll help some, for sure, but I do so much "sweetning" to the datafeeds before they go public, it's the human intervention part that makes me nervous.

My plan now is to build the SuperMacro, able to eat many tall datafeeds and spit them out beautifully, formatted in a single bound, with minimum input from me.

In the meantime, all this data is making me dizzy

sweetning?
    What is the "sweetning" that you are actually doing and errrm, what is "sweetning"??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [Removed Manual Signature URL]
    Last edited by DesignerWiz; May 4th, 2006 at 04:21 PM. Reason: Removed Manual Signature URL

Quote Originally Posted by pricethat
    What is the "sweetning" that you are actually doing and errrm, what is "sweetning"??
    I use the term "Sweetening" as in recording studio sweetening (adding, improving and editing what's there) so this case I'm changing titles and descriptions and adding my own fields. Basically, making it unique for my sites.

I guess sweatening the datafeed information up would be alright for small sites, but with large sites I wouldn't really bother to much with doing that as most of the merchants datafeeds are changing on a daily basis.
    [url=www.gamesdash.com]Games Dash[/url] - listing many free online games that you can play.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread