CJ Education - Why Choose to Encrypt Links?
    Just wondering...Why should I encrypt links...I know encryption is great for security, but, how does this help me as an affiliate marketer???

Internet Cowboy
    It doesn't help. It might keep an app like Norton from blocking your links, but there are other ways around that.
    In my opinion, using encrypted links at CJ only makes them more prone to tracking errors because you are now also relying on CJ to unencrypt them properly on their end. We all know that their tracking is not perfect, now you are throwing another variable in the mix and relying on CJ to make it perfect.

Hi melty, ditto on the Norton thing, or atleast that's what I've heard.

Hi UncleScooter, so do you encrypt your links?; and does Norton still count CJ as scum?

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    It doesn't help. It might keep an app like Norton from blocking your links, but there are other ways around that.
    Please give an example of some "other ways around that."

Thanks in advance.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

A PHP redirecting link will work. Norton doesn't display banners and such when it knows the link behind the banner is a CJ domain (or some of their domains anyway). By redirecting through a page on your own site, I believe it fools Norton. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this...

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Please give an example of some "other ways around that."

Thanks in advance.
    First of all, you can download the banner and serve it from your site. That helps with some adblockers if it is being served from a targetted domain.

Secondly, you can look at a redirect script GO.php. This actually allows you to serve an affiliate page without putting the network link on your site. It is a simple server side redirect. There are some other examples of them here on ABW. I know that Snib posted a script in a thread somewhere that accomplishes this as well.

There is also a script here on ABW that actually reverses the URL and then reverses it again, rendering the original URL but not as it can be read by an adblocking app.

There are ways to get around the apps that block every affiliate link they can find, and there are more and more of them out there.

I've used a simple, free script at
    (http://cyberws.com/info/affiliates/dlinkmin.shtml) for small sites.

If your site is big with hundreds/1000's of different aff. links it might be worthwhile to invest in something better.

Thanks for the tips
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the cookie is blocked ...you go hungry. no cookie no tracking redirect or not.

I think that nortons and others block everything from the given domain...right?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but if the cookie is blocked ...you go hungry. no cookie no tracking redirect or not.

I think that nortons and others block everything from the given domain...right?
    Hi mrbshouse,

Yes, no cookie, you go hungry. And yes nortons got it out for cj (AKA Affiliates).

Thanks Everyone, I'm going to be looking into a redirect script for my site too.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleFish
    Hi mrbshouse,

Yes, no cookie, you go hungry. And yes nortons got it out for cj (AKA Affiliates).

Thanks Everyone, I'm going to be looking into a redirect script for my site too.
    Might be time for everyone to take this seriously, too.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Question
    Hi mrbshouse,

Does Norton block first part cookies? I use a PHP redirect script and serve the banners on my own server. Let's assume that someone clicks on one of my banners they are redirected to the merchant site and the merchant gives them a first party cookie. Would Norton block this cookie? I don't use Norton, I use Kaspersky so I simply do not have a clue.

I know that IE will not block 1st party cookies if the security setting is medium however they will block 3rd party cookies.

I use Firefox and by default it does not block either first or third party cookies.

Hi mrbshouse,

Mrbshouse was correct-- redirect script or not, if they are blocking CJ cookies, it doesn't matter what you do on your site.

How about a premium CJ service (I'd pay for this)... allowing you to register a domain specifically for you and CJ. CJ then uses your special domain (give them control of it) to set the cookies for all of your links. That way there would be hundreds or thousands of CJ domains out there and they couldn't all get added to the block lists.

Hoff,

you may have something there, but I have no idea how hard it is to pull all that info together on the reporting servers...it might sound easy, but be impossible.

At the very least it should be tested with some 5 bar earners.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread