Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    I don't believe that regular people are making good money online.
    Sorry but I don't. Ive been burned so many times I can only laugh at myself.
    Maybe super marketers who have been making sites since 1997 are, but I dont believe that a regular person without contacts can pop online, promote something, and make great money.

Because I have tried and tried and lost so much money. Im all over the place. I have like 25 Adwords campaigns and have -free on all of them.
    I have to guess at everything because I dont know what Im supposed to do.

I hired 2 "experts" to help me. One charged $200 and the other charged $300 an hour to help me but I lost money on the advice that both gave me, as well as the money I had to pay them for giving me bad advice, lol.
    The latter basically took my $300 and threw me under a bus.
    He wouldnt even help me understand a peice of his instructions when I was confused, and it would have taken him 5 minutes to explain what I wanted to know. But nope, he wouldnt do it. $300 and he wouldnt take time to help me understand something.

Ive probably lost over $1,200 in the past 8 months with Adwords between the bad advice and the consultants and playing around and trying different things.
    I'm really just grasping at straws because I dont know what Im doing. Its like trying to learn to speak French without someone teaching you how, lol. You just guess at everything and end up wasting your time.

Ive bought ebooks but they dont tell you what to do, they just give you tips.
    Theres nothing out there that just TELLS you what to do, even if youre willing to spend hundreds of dollars.
    Well thats been my experience anyways

So maybe im bitter from getting burned or maybe I just dont know anyone who is successful, but I dont think its possible to make great money

I don't know who said this but I live by it.

Never use your own money when starting a business.

And If I can make the money I am anyone can. Sometimes people who charge 200 to 300 an hour pray on those who don't know better.

Sometimes those ebooks are scams and are telling you half the truth and not the entire truth.

play the field see what works for you.

ABW Ambassador
    Eh.

Try and start a restaurant if you don't know anything about food.
    Try and start a hair salon if you don't know anything about hair.
    Try and start a garage if you don't know anything about cars.

Why do people keep insisting that is not like other businesses? That all you need to do is put up a banner and you are making $1000 a day! Oh yeah, because they see a banner that says all they need to do is put up another banner and they will be making $1000 a day and their greed throws away common sense.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Read the discussions at abestweb. Better than those guru books and free.

You are in, or you are out ... choose!
    ... and remember what Henry Ford said:-

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right!"
    [url=http://www.dWoz.com/][b]dWoz[/b][/url] - serious webmaster tools & resources.

You're right. Regular people can't make good money online.

It takes special people.

People with the insight to understand what other people are looking for. People with the skills to build sites that are truly useful. People with the knowledge of what works. People with an understanding of basic marketings kills, search engine optimization, and/or PPC strategies. People who understand their limitations and are able to hire other people to fill those gaps. People who are willing to spend money when necessary, but who are wise enough to know when not to.

Of course most people can learn all that and become "special". They're going to have to learn it on their own, though. You're not going to find an expert to teach you, for any price. The experts are doing it themselves.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    You're not going to find an expert to teach you, for any price. The experts are doing it themselves.
    This is SO true! Keep on reading the boards here at ABW, and you'll get all the information you need.

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by grove
    Im all over the place. I have like 25 Adwords campaigns and have -free on all of them.
    I have to guess at everything because I dont know what Im supposed to do.
    This is why you are losing money. Find something and focus on it. Taking the shotgun approach to online marketing is a sure setup for failure.

Nobody is making money because you can't. Nice attitude. You must be a joy to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Woz
    ... and remember what Henry Ford said:-

"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right!"
    Yes!

And I would like to offer up:
    Confucius

Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

So you had a rough time at it, go back to basics and think about what you like and how to market it.
    I found ABW the best spot to hang out and learn and share.

I'm very greatful ABW is here for me to learn from.
    I don't know what I would do, or many here, if I woke up tomorrow and ABW was no longer here,for me to comb through, to find information, and contribute where I can.

Just don't give up ...and...adjust that attitude to go forward...and keep your passion close at hand for those dark moments....and...well, you have to really really want to. Then it's not so much work as it is playing the affiliate game.

Good Luck

Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Find the correct merchants to promote. Some you can put up their links for years and get nothing. Some are almost immediate.

Like some people often says:

As for the money making business on the net, I've never make a dime, except from AdSense, but I know it is possible. SO if you want to quit, quit, more clients for us

i make a fulltime living from this affiliate game ... and i know i am one of the 'small fry' but i do really well for $$$ LOL. so i can just imagine those other guys.

dude, all you need is the right ranking .. natural ranking that is. i've never paid for traffic and never will. get those sites up, seed them right and you'll have traffic tearing out your ears in no time.

a lot of this game is willpower and determination too. if you don't plan to at least spend a year or so being up til 4 in the morning doing this thing then forget about it.

I cannot believe I stayed in a normal job for years because I did not believe I could make enough money online to survive.

I worked on it part-time; working late at night then wake up early to go do my time at my "real" job, day after day. I did this for years and finally decided I was nuts and if I invested ALL my time into building my own entrepreneur dream then I would make it. I would be okay.

Getting super rich wasn't the goal. Making enough money to live comfortably and meeting my financial responsibilities was. Once freed from the prison of my "real" job and investing qualitity time in my own dream, it all began to come together.

Financially -- it hasn't hurt at all. The biggest drawback is having to pay for health insurance but even with that, I've done better than I've ever been able to do "out there" in conventional workland, but most importantly I am happier and motivated to wake up and get to work (most of the time).

It is like any other business.

- Learning promotes growth.

- Investing time in networking and reading boards like this help you make better decisions when investing in expert solutions.

- Realistic expectations will lesson frustration and the feeling of failure.

- Dealing with the bumps in the road, learning from them and moving forward will help insure success.

It definitely is not a business for everyone, but it is a great business for those who can accept that nothing about it ever remains the same. The rules change constantly which involves work to stay up with it all.

Hope this helps...
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Marketing Mistress Lectrickitty's Avatar
    Yeah, what Michael said.

I wasted a year trying to do online marketing. Then I found ABW and learned that everything I was doing was WRONG.

When I first started reading posts here, I expected everyone to jump in and tell me exactly what to do. I was disappointed when they told me to "read and learn". Now I understand why that advice is so good. After spending over a year reading posts here, I'm just now really starting to "get it". No one can tell you how to do it. Kind of like learning to ride a bicycle, you won't learn by listening to someone tell how they learned, you have to get on the bike to learn for yourself.

I'm now building better sites, promoting select merchants, and starting to make good money.
    [color=blue]"Those who give up their freedom for a little security deserve neither freedom nor security" - Benjamin Franklin[/color]

grove,

There's some great advice here on ABW. At least you've made a step in the right direction. Become a regular here and simply study what others are doing and come up with your own twist on it. It helps to start with a very specific niche. For example you can focus entirely on children's shoes, women's undergarmets or kitchen appliances. Go into depth about your niche and write up some buying guides. Tell shoppers what to look for and what to watch out for. Tell them about each of the merchants featured on your site and what strengths and weaknesses they each have.

I would avoid AdWords for the time being. It sounds like you've invested quite a bit already with limited results, so try something different. Paying to advertise like this is very risky and dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. It's probably better to learn what keywords are valuable before you start spending money on them. Try to earn some free traffic by providing a service.

I'm not saying anything new here as it's been repeated over and over here at ABW, so take a look around and follow the newest posts. You'll find even more advice and eventually you may begin to see where the money is and how you're going to get it. Just don't expect results immediately. As long as you're building a solid brand for yourself and providing a useful service to customers, you'll do well.

Good luck!
    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

You seem very desperate, I'm actually in the same situation you are, though I don't really have much money to spend on getting some advices from 'experienced pro's' and no money to spend on google adwords. Though I have a dream - gettin' rich, for that you gotta work really hard and one day that will happen. This will take time, year, two, three or more just don't give up and enjoy it, consider it as a hobby or something!

Great words are - 'And there will be a time when you'll shine as bright as the stars, but it won't be his or hers, just ours'

Cheers!

Talking
    Go to this thread if you don't believe http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=71765

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

ABW Ambassador
    Because I have tried and tried and lost so much money. Im all over the place. I have like 25 Adwords campaigns and have -free on all of them.
    What exactly does -free mean if it's on all of them. Are the Adwords running offering something for free?

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    What exactly does -free mean if it's on all of them. Are the Adwords running offering something for free?
    it means "free" is a negative keyword
    so if im promoting for example a booklet on eczema cures, and someone types in "free eczema cure info", they dont see my ad, which should help week out people who dont want ot buy.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    if im promoting for example a booklet on eczema cures
    If that's your example, I suspect you're selling *some* kind of info or other, or something of a similar nature. So...
    Hint:
    The net is SATURATED with free info about everything you could possibly imagine. Even though your ads don't show on searches specifically *saying* "free," people who are searching for info generally are hoping for the free stuff whether they say so or not.

You'll have much better luck selling noninformational hard goods, or services - things which CANNOT be gotten free.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    so if im promoting for example a booklet on eczema cures, and someone types in "free eczema cure info", they dont see my ad, which should help week out people who dont want ot buy.
    OK, then if you've had to "weed out" people who don't want to buy - assuming a lot of them would be using the search term including the word free then you've got exactly the probem Leader told you that you have - 100% correct.

There is no way people will buy what's available for free, and if you've had to weed out that word, then there must be plenty of free stuff out there.

Here we go again on content vs. sales. For the most part, people looking for content to read are primarily looking to satisfy their need for information. They aren't likely to buy information - but they are likely to buy STUFF.

How true! To sell anything, first you need a product that people want to buy.

There are so many merchants with so many actual, factual, real products that they will pay you to sell for them that your choice is almost unlimited.

I think the very first thing you need to consider is finding a product (or many products) that you would enjoy selling and then sell the pants off that product. A real product is best. It is easier to sell something that a person can hold in their hands than it is to sell an idea.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    OK, let's address this.

I hired 2 "experts" to help me. One charged $200 and the other charged $300 an hour to help me
    Did they charge for consulting, telling you what needed to be done so you could do it yourself, or did they charge for doing it for you? And what was it for, how to do affiliate marketing, how to do a website, or how promote and do SEO for the site?

wouldnt even help me understand a peice of his instructions when I was confused, and it would have taken him 5 minutes to explain what I wanted to know. But nope, he wouldnt do it. $300 and he wouldnt take time to help me understand something.
    How much time was agreed upon, and how much time had he already spent on the project for what you paid? Was it by phone consultation, and if by email not phone, how many emails were sent back and forth and for how long?

This isn't an "uncommon" type of thing, and there are some real horror stories people could tell from the other side of it.

<sidebar>
    BTW, that is *not* a lot of money. It may be for some people on a budget, but not everyone is willing to work with budget clients. I know people who charge $250 to $400 and more for each hour, by the clock, and others who won't even get out of bed in the morning for a job that starts at less than $3k, plus long-term maintenance. And they're so much in demand that they have to turn work away.
    </sidebar>

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    <sidebar>
    I know people who charge $250 to $400 and more for each hour, by the clock, and others who won't even get out of bed in the morning for a job that starts at less than $3k, plus long-term maintenance. And they're so much in demand that they have to turn work away.</sidebar>
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

ABW Ambassador
    "I have like 25 Adwords campaigns"

Try making money with one first before you have 25 going. And I think you've learned your lesson by losing money by paying "experts" to help you. With Adwords there's all kinds of places to go for that. Here or Webmasterworld has a nice forum for that. All free, do a lot of reading first, then ask questions on things you're not sure of. Then start off slow.

"I don't believe that regular people are making good money online."

Believing helps too, someone linked to a thread of somebody making good money online and they're not even doing this full time. It's possible and people are doing it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast