Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Arrow Dealing with a datafeed and using WebMerge versus Php and Mysql - Part 1
    In the beginning, there was no datafeed!

    Sorry, wrong rant.
    ----------------------------------------

    Dealing with a datafeed, and using WebMerge versus Php and Mysql - Part 1

    To make this short, I will just say what I have learned so far.

    Long time ago, it took me a long time to learn how to use any datafeed for the first time and it took me almost year, in order to master WebMerge to do almost whatever I want, but I made my first some 5000 pages with WebMerge in less than 30 days, and I had my first WebMerge created pages sales, in less than two months, because in those days, the search engines picked up those pages fast.

    I have spent the last three or four months learning how to use Php and Mysql for the first time to make all my pages dynamic, instead of static with WebMerge, because of the benefits of having dynamic pages that can be updated in just a few minutes at any time.

    I may still green on Php and Mysql but, so far I am happy with what I have accomplish so far in making any new site with Php and Mysql by just getting a new datafeed and see the resulting pages made in a instant. But I am not happy with what I have discovered today.

    Here is my dilemma.........

    Note: This post is not necessarily intended for those that are gurus with Php and Mysql already, and much less for those that are against datafeed sites for one reason or another.

    The main reason of this post is for those new to datafeed's, and for me to vent some frustration on this Part 1 of "WebMerge versus Php and Mysql", OK?

    As of today, this is what I know so far:

    Example # - 1: I can make a site for a new merchant with a 1000 products using WebMerge.

    At the end, I will have created 1001 pages for that merchant, 1000 products pages and 1 index page that link to all of those pages. (Yes, I know that I should not have more that 200 or 300 links on the index page, but that's irrelevant to this example)

    Example # - 2: I can make a site for a new merchant with 1000 products using Php and Mysql.

    At the end, I will have created no new real pages, but all of those 1000 products pages will be available to my visitors, because I am now using a few templates in my site in order to show any of those 1000 products pages to any one that request any of those pages.

    Here is the catch, as I discovered today.

    Two days ago, I was feeling very good with what I have learned so far in such a short time, and with what I have been able to do with my templates in order to make my sites show those 1000 products pages in any order, or in any way I want, and how many products I want to display per page, since it now only takes a few minutes to change how I want those pages to look and how many products I want to display.

    But today, I decided to add the FDSE to one of my sites, in order to have a site search engine on the main index page and in order to allow my visitors to just search for any product from the home page but, here is when the sand hit the fan!

    I don't like what I saw, almost every page shows up on the search result page if I search for a product name, because since:

    [/index.php?page=1 to /index.php?page=whatever]

    and

    [page.php?witget=ProductName&start=10&limit=10 to page.php?witget=ProductName&start=whatever&limit=10]

    Will have the same title and description for all pages on just those two templates, so that's like spamming the search engines with the same title and description if someone search for a product that is listed on any of those (index.php?page=whatever or &start=whatever&limit=10) two template pages.

    If I just use the search results that I create with Php and Mysql for that merchant on those pages, I will not see any duplicate title, description or content, but if I use the FDSE just like any other regular search engine, then that site sucks........

    After a few hours of breaking the wall , I found this:

    Same title and/or description for all pages on site

    On some web sites, the title or description for all pages will be the same. The search results are not very useful in these cases.

    Here are three ideas for fixing this problem: http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/help/1136.html

    Most sites have this problem because they were built using templates, and the template scheme was not designed to return page-specific titles and META descriptions. You should change your template scheme to make this a priority. By having a specific title and description on each page, you will make it easier for all search engines, not just FDSE. It will also be easier for visitors to navigate your site, as the title is used in application windows, in the Back/Forward buttons, and in bookmarks.


    By the way:

    FDSE is an easy-to-install search engine for local and remote sites. It returns fast, accurate results from a template-driven architecture. Freeware and shareware versions are available with Perl source [ more Features ] http://www.xav.com/scripts/search/
    But I still not too happy today, because with WebMerge, even if it takes longer to make and upload the pages, at least it's easier to make unique static pages with different content, and with more search engines food that it's what really counts at the end.

    Now I am going to take a long break from this Php and Mysql stuff and just go out and smell the roses , in case of an emergency, I will use my trusty old version of WebMerge, for now I am not doing no new sites with the datafeeds that I have already downloaded, I am an affiliate marketer, so I work when I want and if I want.

    If and when, I figured out how to have all of my Php and Mysql pages showing the content I want the way I can do it now with WebMerge, then I may make the Part 2 of Dealing with a datafeed and using WebMerge versus Php and Mysql.



    Sal.
    ...

  2. #2
    Internet Cowboy
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    4,662
    Sal,
    Use something like this in your title tags and meta tags when using php and MySQL.

    <?php echo $Item;?>
    This will allow you to insert data from your database to anywhere on the page.
    $Item is the column name of whatever field you are inserting.


  3. #3
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Thanks UncleScooter,

    But I am already using something like that on those pages, and that will not fix the real problem when it comes to getting those paginated pages included in the regular search engines.

    I'm going to try some of the workarounds that FDSE recommends, and see what results I get once I reindex the site again.

    Sal.
    ...

  4. #4
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    This morning I did some research on the net, and now I don't feel so bad, because I discovered that I am not the only one with that problem.

    I even went to some big merchants websites, and they also have the same title and description for every page that have pagination for their products and categories.

    Every page that have something like this <<----- Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ----->> will have the same title and description for as many pages that are there on that template.

    I'm willing to bet that, that may be one of the reasons, as for why the search engines are banning many affiliates websites from their index, because those paginated pages are like spam to any regular search engine.

    If we use a Php script to search our database, and display a search box on our site to show the merchants products from the datafeed, there will be no sign of any problem in plain view, because on our site the search results will look nice and unique since we're just using a script to search the database our way, and to show the results our way.

    But, unless you see that same website the way that a regular search engine will see it, you may not know how spammy many of your pages look to those search engines.

    While we can get away with having 1,000,000 products on our website, and have any visitor on our website find a specific product on our website, because we have an internal search box in there, unless those visitors find our website by any other mean, we're not going to get that many visitors from the search engines out there, coming to those paginated pages we have unless we do something about it to fix that problem.

    It doesn't matter if you're getting your visitors from PPC, word of mouth, paid advertisement, press release, radio, TV, email campaign, flyers, reciprocal linking, etc, etc. If someone have paginated pages on their sites, I am willing to bet that many of pages are never going to show up on any search engine because of the duplicate content that those paginated pages create.

    I know that for every problem we find, there are at least a few solutions, but unless we know that there is a problem, we may never know why some things fail, or just why some things don't come out to our expectations.

    I'm glad that I decided to include the FDSE on one Php site, before I made more websites with Php and Mysql, because otherwise I would have been making new sites, without realizing how many spam pages I was creating for the regular search engines.

    While some affiliates may not care about this issue because they're making good money now, I decided to post this information for other affiliates that don't know about it, and may care to do something about it to fix that problem before it gets too big to handle.

    I won't be leaving those sites the way they're now, and be trying to making some money for a little while, I will fix that problem now that I found it, and I will be making a lot of more money later, and specially more money when the search engines finally drop all the duplicate content from their indexes.

    Any one can make a big and unique website with WebMerge and a datafeed in less than few days, and have no problem with duplicate content from their site, nor other sites that are using WebMerge and the same datafeed, as long as they take their time to include their own unique content when they create all those pages with WebMerge.

    But any one that make the same site with the same datafeed, and Php and Mysql, will run the risk of having duplicate content on many pages if they use pagination, and don't fix that problem before they go live with that site.

    Don't get me wrong, I like WebMerge and I like Php and Mysql, but until I fix what I have discovered, I doubt that I will be making any new site with Php and Mysql, because it's easier to clean a house with just a few floors, than it's to clean a multilevel building.

    I just wonder how many people reading this thread, didn't knew about the issue about pagination and duplicate contents, as far as the regular search engines concern.

    I doubt that any one here will admit that they have spammy duplicate content out there, whether they knew it before, or just find out now about it, because they have read this thread. (Don't anyone worry, I found a few sites out there but, I don't kiss and tell.)


    Sal.
    ...

  5. #5
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    I must be getting good at this php and MySQL stuff.

    I found a solution, and I was able to remove all of the duplicate content from those paginated pages in just a few hours, now I know that the sky would be the limit for making pages with out creating any duplicate titles or content.


    ...

  6. #6
    Moderator BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    jacked by sylon www.sylonddos.weebly.com
    Posts
    9,618
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I must be getting good at this php and MySQL stuff.

    I found a solution, and I was able to remove all of the duplicate content from those paginated pages in just a few hours, now I know that the sky would be the limit for making pages with out creating any duplicate titles or content.



    Don't be shy!! Tell us how you did it.

    Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I even went to some big merchants websites, and they also have the same title and description for every page that have pagination for their products and categories.

    Every page that have something like this <<----- Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ----->> will have the same title and description for as many pages that are there on that template.

    I'm willing to bet that, that may be one of the reasons, as for why the search engines are banning many affiliates websites from their index, because those paginated pages are like spam to any regular search engine.
    I have multiple pages for each of my categories and they each have the same page title. It doesn't appear to have any negative effect on my placement. I find it to be an absolutely necessary feature and the search engines should be aware of that. Bizrate and Pricegrabber both do it and they rank exceptionally well in the engines. I think the spiders are smart enough to realize that each page is unique and contains different items. You only need to worry about this if each page has the exact same products in which case you've got a broken site.

    I don't believe search engines are banning sites for this. They only ban sites for repeating keywords too many times, hiding keywords with the background color, cloaking the page to show different data for spiders and so on.

    Honestly I don't believe the search engines are banning most affiliate sites. It's just competition. There are more better sites coming out and the search engines need to place these when the older sites can't keep up. It's very competitive and unless you're on top of technology and offering a useful and easy to use service you'll naturally fall behind.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  8. #8
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Gee, I don't want to sound ditzy, but does a webmaster need to be good with Php and Mysql in order to use datafeeds?

    Just asking, I haven't ventured into the datafeed territory yet.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  9. #9
    15 years and counting
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,121
    Scott - They only ban sites for repeating keywords too many times, hiding keywords with the background color, cloaking the page to show different data for spiders and so on.
    And, don't forget duplicate content.
    Scott -Honestly I don't believe the search engines are banning most affiliate sites. It's just competition.
    They are not banning affiliate sites, they are banning sites with duplicate content and most affiliate sites using datafeeds have duplicate content.
    Scott -Bizrate and Pricegrabber both do it and they rank exceptionally well in the engines.
    They are comparison sites (not straight affiliate sites) and Google have a sweet deal with them.

  10. #10
    ABW Ambassador AddHandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 19th, 2005
    Posts
    1,270
    Rhia7 - Nope you do not need to know PHP MySQL to get into datafeeds...
    start with Webmerge and work on that for awhile until you get the hang of how datafeeds really work... then you can either stick with Webmerge or move on to PHP MySQL... I still use WEBMERGE on one of my best sites... and I have been messing with Webmerge for so long... I can get it to do anything I want... SITEMAPS... BRAND SPECIFIC PAGES etc...

    The only really nice thing about PHP is that it is so expandable... where as Webmerge is not...

    IMHO -- start with Webmerge... or did I say that already..??


    --------------------

    MR SAL...
    Why are you using an outside search script when you can use PHP MySQL to search through the database instead of searching through the pages on your site...???

    Just curious as to why you do not have your own search feature that searches through the MySQL Database...?? This will show them products instead of pages on your site... and that IMHO is what you want...

  11. #11
    Moderator BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    jacked by sylon www.sylonddos.weebly.com
    Posts
    9,618
    Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Gee, I don't want to sound ditzy, but does a webmaster need to be good with Php and Mysql in order to use datafeeds?

    Just asking, I haven't ventured into the datafeed territory yet.
    No - Use webmerge with your feed.

    Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

  12. #12
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Originally Posted by BurgerBoy: Don't be shy!! Tell us how you did it.
    Not today BurgerBoy, not today!



    Originally Posted by Snib: I have multiple pages for each of my categories and they each have the same page title. It doesn't appear to have any negative effect on my placement. I find it to be an absolutely necessary feature and the search engines should be aware of that. Bizrate and Pricegrabber both do it and they rank exceptionally well in the engines. I think the spiders are smart enough to realize that each page is unique and contains different items. You only need to worry about this if each page has the exact same products in which case you've got a broken site.

    I don't believe search engines are banning sites for this. They only ban sites for repeating keywords too many times, hiding keywords with the background color, cloaking the page to show different data for spiders and so on.

    Honestly I don't believe the search engines are banning most affiliate sites. It's just competition. There are more better sites coming out and the search engines need to place these when the older sites can't keep up. It's very competitive and unless you're on top of technology and offering a useful and easy to use service you'll naturally fall behind.

    - Scott
    Scott,

    I'm surprised to hear all that from you, since you say in your sig that you're a PHP & mySQL Specialist.

    While it's true that you can have multiple pages for each of the categories and that they each have the same page title, it's not absolutely necessary to have the search engines get to those pages, because that is spamming the search engines with duplicate and unnecessary stuff.

    I don't know the main reason of way the search engines are banning many affiliates sites, but after what I discovered yesterday, I wouldn't dismiss that issue, as been one of the reasons. As a matter of fact, if I was a search engine I would not index those kind of pages for no one, because they're not really necessary for any website, outside of that website.

    You just said that unless you're on top of technology and offering a useful and easy to use service you'll naturally fall behind, and I will agree 100% with that statement, and that's one of the other reasons of why started this thread too.

    Yesterday when I saw the kind of spamming pages that I was creating without even knowing it, I was mad and I say that I was going to take a long break from the Php and Mysql stuff, but instead of walking away, I went straight to experiment with my scripts and the FDSE.

    It took me a long time to figured out, but after doing some modifications to my scripts a few times, and reindexing the site with the FDSE a few times until I liked the results, I didn't go to sleep for many hours, but I found a solution that I think and believe the search engines would like more than what normaly many affiliates and merchants put out there with the regular way of doing the pagination pages.

    I just started with Php and Mysql about three months ago, and just by reading, learning and experimenting, I thing that I have learned more stuff about that subject, than what I thought it might take me a year or more to learn, so I can't wait to see how much I will have learned by this time next year.

    Originally Posted by Rhia7: Gee, I don't want to sound ditzy, but does a webmaster need to be good with Php and Mysql in order to use datafeeds?

    Just asking, I haven't ventured into the datafeed territory yet.
    Rhia,

    Just download the free trial of WebMerge.
    Read Fred's Web-Procreate WebMerge Tutorial
    and
    Read Frank's WebMerge Tutorial

    If after a while you feel comfortable with the sesults you get, then buy your own copy of WebMerge, and start on your journey of working with product datafeeds on your websites.

    Also buy a book of Php and MySQL, so you can start learning how to make dynamic websites too, you don't have to buy it now, but don't wait three years, like I did before.

    Originally Posted by Zeus:
    And, don't forget duplicate content.

    They are not banning affiliate sites, they are banning sites with duplicate content and most affiliate sites using datafeeds have duplicate content.

    They are comparison sites (not straight affiliate sites) and Google have a sweet deal with them.
    Zeus,

    You're right on target there, so the only reply to your post is to ditto what you have said.

    Sal.
    ...

  13. #13
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Originally Posted by AddHandler: MR SAL...
    Why are you using an outside search script when you can use PHP MySQL to search through the database instead of searching through the pages on your site...???

    Just curious as to why you do not have your own search feature that searches through the MySQL Database...?? This will show them products instead of pages on your site... and that IMHO is what you want...
    AddHandler,

    That could be the $25,000.00 question, but I am going to give you the answer.

    While it's very easy to use a script to search through the database using Php and MySQL, the results you will see on your site, are not the same results that the other search engines are going to see when they try to index your site.

    For example:

    Lets say that you're using a datafeed with 1000 products, and those 1000 products are divided between 10 categories, that's 100 products per category.

    Now, if you just want to show 10 products per page in each category, you will need to have some kind of pagination on those pages, and each category will have 10 pages with 10 products each, for that category alone.

    Multiply the 10 categories with 10 paginated pages and you will wind up with 100 pages with different products, that are displayed on the same old category template page.

    While you or your visitors will never see anything wrong while moving around the site browsing, or searching for products, any regular search engine will see 100 extra pages with duplicate content, even if those 100 pages have 10 different products and descriptios each.

    By now I know that that's the way that most of the dynamic sites out there are created, but there is no need to do it that way, because that way, the search engines get fill up fast with unnecessarily junk that it's more commonly called, spammig the search engines with duplicate content.

    And while this kind of duplicate content is totaly different, than when many affiliates just use the same template, and the same datafeed to make their sites, without adding any extra content of their own to their pages, it's still duplicate content that should not be allowed on the search engines.

    AddHandler, one the reasons that I am going use a search script from outside PHP MySQL to search the site, it's because I want to index other pages that are not included in the database, also to be able to search different areas that may not be that convenient to include in my main site index, if I were to use a PHP MySQL script to handle the job.

    By the way, I indeed use a script to search through the databases using Php and MySQL, but I also going to use the FDSE because of the extra benefits I can get by using it, if you try the FDSE, you too may come up with a few ideas of your own, but don't tell a soul about it.

    Sal.
    ...

  14. #14
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Also buy a book of Php and MySQL, so you can start learning how to make dynamic websites too, you don't have to buy it now, but don't wait three years, like I did before.


    Zeus,

    You're right on target there, so the only reply to your post is to ditto what you have said.

    Sal.
    I have a PHP & MySQL book. I have to sit down and read them

    I'll have to see what Zeus says ...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  15. #15
    15 years and counting
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,121
    Rhia - I'll have to see what Zeus says ...
    Two common mistakes to avoid:
    1-Adding too many pages at once. If you have a site ranking well with 100 pages, don't add more than 10 pages during the same update. (10% is conservative but better be safe than sorry) Google don't like it.
    2-Don't use raw datafeeds of well known merchants without making them unique.
    I'm one of the first users of webmerge (Way before Richard had his own forum at ABW) and I like dynamics web sites, too. I'm not trying to tell people not to use these tools, I'm just warning them of potential problems. Believe me, I made these mistakes myself and it hurts. I'm glad I don't have all my eggs in the same basket and I can afford to experiment new techniques.

  16. #16
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    Sal, read Dirk Gardner's post #44 in this thread:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60200

    Your answer, using php/mysql, lies there.

  17. #17
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Sal, read Dirk Gardner's post #44 in this thread:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60200

    Your answer, using php/mysql, lies there.
    Thanks Donuts,

    But, I have read that whole thread many times before already,

    From Dirk Gardner's post #44 on that thread

    I am going to begin by covering the creation of page names that are completely static looking from every angle. The reason I put a lot of time into this aspect of page layout is that search engines have always given static pages higher priority over any pages with variables on the end of URLs. Also... as my sites started out being static, I wanted a way to turn my sites into completely dynamic animals without sacrificing the PR that had built up over time within the existing page names.

    So firstly we need our servers to parse .htm and .html files as PHP files. In order to achieve this we simply add a mime type preferably to the httpd.conf file but failing that the .htaccess file is fine. You should always try to add any global variables that you would put in .htaccess into the servers httpd.conf master file. The reason for this is that the changes will become available on all your sites and you won't have to reiterate your code all over the place.

    Also the httpd.conf file is loaded into memory on server boot while .htaccess files have to be parsed and checked in a hierarchical fashion creating a server performance reduction. The location of this file on my server is /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and can be accessed using a SSH Shell tool. (Do a search online for putty.exe. It ROCKS!)
    (Bolded by me.)

    and that post #44 from Dirk Gardner, is very informative and useful, but at the moment I can't apply those tips to my sites yet for a couple of reasons.

    First, I will not try to convert the static sites that I already have for years, to full dynamic sites under no circumstances, there are too many new domains available out there that can be used to mimic an old html site with a new php site, and see which one will bring better results, but that's not for me.

    Second, I am still very new to php, and while I see that I can learn a lot, a lot faster by experimenting with many php scripts, and plenty of time available to do all of those experiments, I am still somehow limited on how much I can do with what I am learning daily with php, because I don't have my own server yet, so I can't be messing around with files like the httpd.conf master file, or other root files on the servers where I have my sites on, for now.

    Eventually I am going to have my own servers in the near future, but for now I will have to work with what I got available at this moment.

    Sal.
    ...

  18. #18
    Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Winter Park, FL
    Posts
    6,930
    Suit yourself, but #44 tells you how to make dynamic php urls morph into static ones that are indexed as you like... so converting an existing static site, into one that's dynamic, without changing the previous urls, is do-able.

    Have fun!

  19. #19
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    While you or your visitors will never see anything wrong while moving around the site browsing, or searching for products, any regular search engine will see 100 extra pages with duplicate content, even if those 100 pages have 10 different products and descriptios each.
    I disagree with this. I don't believe the search engines will classify two pages with 10 different products as duplicate. Just because two different pages have the same title they aren't necessarily duplicates. I don't think this is a bannable offence. This isn't underhanded in any way. It's something that the search engines need to naturally accommodate.

    I don't think search engines necessarily "ban" sites for duplicate content. To me a ban is a substantial offence and is usually triggered by something underhanded. At least this is what Matt Cutts has led me to believe. I believe duplicate content only pushes you back in the ranks, but you'll remain unbanned until you can earn enough incoming links to warrant better placement.

    But if you're really concerned about this it can be done with Javascript. You just need to make the page links onClick instead of a href. The bots will never pick up these pages.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  20. #20
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Arrow
    Scott, three days ago, I disagree with you when you said:
    Originally Posted by ScottI: have multiple pages for each of my categories and they each have the same page title. It doesn't appear to have any negative effect on my placement. I find it to be an absolutely necessary feature and the search engines should be aware of that. Bizrate and Pricegrabber both do it and they rank exceptionally well in the engines. I think the spiders are smart enough to realize that each page is unique and contains different items.
    Scott,

    Today, three days later, I have no choice but to give you the benefit of the doubt on this statement:
    Originally Posted by Scott: I disagree with this. I don't believe the search engines will classify two pages with 10 different products as duplicate. Just because two different pages have the same title they aren't necessarily duplicates. I don't think this is a bannable offence. This isn't underhanded in any way. It's something that the search engines need to naturally accommodate.
    A few hours ago, I checked my logs on the site that I did the modifications, and I would have to agree with you on the part that the search engines, may not really care too much about those duplicate pages with the same title and content, as long as you have 10 different products listed on each of those pages.

    I will not say that I am wrong about what I said that I think, and believe about having those pages listed on the search engines, and I will still call those pages search engine spam, because when I used the FDSE to index the whole site, I saw with my own eyes the results that I would get if I searched for any keyword that I knew I had on the page #1 of that category.

    After I did the modification, (with out deleting any page or anything from my site) when I redindex the site and searched for the same keyword using the same FDSE, I got a very relevant result, compared with the results that I got before the modifications.

    And just to be very clear on this issue, the results that I got with the FDSE before, and after I did the modifications, have made no difference in the perfect targeted results that I would get when I use the site's internal PHP-Mysql search box.

    But Scott, the reason that I have to agree with you, on that it makes no difference to the search engines if we have more than two pages with the same title and content, as long as those pages have different products, it's because I just witnessed what you're talking about with my own eyes tonight.

    When I checked my logs, I saw that MR. G. and Mr. Y. had just crawled the whole site and even the pages like (index1.php, index2.php and cate1.php, cate2.php, ..... cate347.php, etc.) and what I find very ridiculous is that they give all of those ghost pages a 200ok status, even when at the moment that they are indexing the site, those pages are no longer available the way they were before.

    -----------------------
    SIDE NOTE:
    While I am still learning Php, I noticed that if you go to a site that have a page like, for example:
    /widget.php?page=2

    and you type a 8 on the address bar where that /widget.php?page=2 is, you would still get page 8, either with widget products or without widget products, but you will still get that page displayed ok and you will not get a 404 page.
    -----------------------


    So Scott, I don't know what else to say for now about what the search engines are doing with those duplicate pages, or why they're even including those pages on their databases, but what I now know for sure, is that those pages are not necessarily that good for a relevant search, while I would admit that having 1million pages included on any search engine for branding purposes sound like a good idea, I rather have only 100 targeted product pages on the search engines, even if I indeed have 1million pages on my site, that way I may get more targeted visitors to my site, and just let those visitors find out that I may have 1million pages, once they're on my site.

    And I will say this again, I am still learning about this Php stuff, and I may be wrong on the way that try to explain what I am discovering, but at least I will keep on learning experimenting and posting what I discover, even if once in a while I am wrong, but the best way to learn something new is to try and try again, even if we fk-up a few times.

    If Thomas Edison had given up after the 9,999 times that he fail, someone else would be credited with the electric light invention, because I don't think that if he was never born, that we would be still be in the dark.

    Sal.
    ...

  21. #21
    Action Jackson - King of the World
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,201
    This is very true as to page titles. As long as the products on the page are different it shouldn't trip any dupliacte filters. Especially if you combine one or more merchants

  22. #22
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    Jack, I'm going to do a test.

    (A week, a month?, I don't know yet, but.....)

    I have two new similar Php sites with different merchants, but I am going to leave one site the way it was made, and the other one with the new modifications that I did to it, according to what this thread is about.

    While both sites are getting daily visit by a couple of the big search engines, I am going to leave the modified site modified for a while, to see if I should worry about the duplicate titles, or just join the crowd and don't worry about the details of how I get all my pages on the SE's.

    Sal.
    ...

  23. #23
    Action Jackson - King of the World
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,201
    Definitely keep us posted

  24. #24
    What's the word? Rhia7's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2006
    Posts
    9,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    Don't use raw datafeeds of well known merchants without making them unique.
    I'm one of the first users of webmerge (Way before Richard had his own forum at ABW) and I like dynamics web sites, too. I'm not trying to tell people not to use these tools, I'm just warning them of potential problems. Believe me, I made these mistakes myself and it hurts. I'm glad I don't have all my eggs in the same basket and I can afford to experiment new techniques.
    Good advice.

    That advice applies to the SAS "Makeapage tool" as well.
    I post this recent true event to illustrate the need to make each ad unique.
    I did not alter the descriptions that accompanied the egg advertisements and perhaps the repetitive descriptions did me in on Blogshares.

    Here's a true and very recent story:

    Since Easter is coming I decided to feature the beautiful Faberge style eggs in my main blog along with just about every other egg and egg carrying nesting doll from Russian Legacy. I mixed in some other Easter related products as well and just decided to have an egg section at the moment commemorating Easter and Spring.

    Hey, I think it all looks very nice *but* Blogshares dropped my main blog (after years of participating with them).
    I am annoyed at Blogshares because my previous track record was good and I do not like to be censored.

    Yes, you can argue that I placed one affiliate link after the other at this particular time, but that argument doesn't hold because I also have a "Gothic" blog that often lists affiliate ad after affiliate ad (even more so than my current main blog) but Blogshares didn't give it the axe.

    Halloweenish ads in the "Gothic" blog are okay but a string of "Christian themed" related affiliate ads got my main blog the axe from Blogshares.
    I've decided not to participate in Blogshares anymore

    I enjoyed participating in Blogshares (because of the "Wall Street" reminiscent transactions) but I think my main blog got "blacklisted by Blogshares" abruptly and unexpectedly. I didn't post porn, I posted at least 36 decorative eggs from Russian Legacy, I had no idea that was a "crime"
    Last edited by Rhia7; April 6th, 2006 at 03:08 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

  25. #25
    ABW Veteran Mr. Sal's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    6,795
    I posted at least 36 decorative eggs
    Maybe they don't like cholesterol.

    ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dealing with large datafeed files in PHP
    By MoreBeer in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: April 6th, 2010, 07:03 PM
  2. Mambo php shop versus oscommerce
    By Kruder in forum Starting an Affiliate Program & Merchant Q&A
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: October 6th, 2005, 09:15 PM
  3. Datafeed/webmerge VS Php/mysql datafeed
    By Lasthope in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 25th, 2004, 10:23 PM
  4. PHP & mySQL but....
    By perfectG in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 6th, 2002, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •