Filter out low paying Google ads
    I'm getting closer to Adsense

Actually, I have to re-design my sites in order to get all my pages to an xhtml standard and to optimize potential Adsense ads. I still worry about the possibility of irrelevant ads being plunked on my pages. This looks like a good first step

I found this neato AdSense Black List:

http://www.adsblacklist.com/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Don't take it all as Gospel truth. One of the sites on the list is absolutely, positively NOT a MFA site - I happen to know one of the owners/developers of a site on the list, who happens to have an excellent reputation in the "web" industry - and it's a legit business. And that's just with a quick look.

I've got many, many sites on the filter and drop a note to Adsense support for just about every one of them. The BEST way is by experience and watching our own sites.

Ditto this, filter on a case by case basis. Additionally, sometimes you get ads that aren't "bad" per se, but simply glom onto the wrong meaning of your webpage. For instance, I have an HTML learning site and the "tables" page kept getting inudated with ads for tables, the wooden-eat-your-dinner-at kind. I did my best to filter out the offending sites, but finally gave up Adsense on that page.

So it's really what goes on with your particular site. You'll need to keep an eye on it a bit.

ABW Ambassador
    I have a graphics site with good traffic (with webpage backgrounds) and kept getting ads for background checks - like investigations. That's no biggie, and I actually thought of putting backgrounds up with "checks" as a design for laughs- and then running affiliate ads for printing/buying bank checks.

When hotbar ads (and some for screensavers, etc.) started running I pulled ALL Adsense off that site (and opted out of CPM). I seriously doubt if that was a low paying ad. It has nothing to do with what ads pay, it's about quality and I'll judge that for myself. We're only allowed 200 on the filter, there should be a good reason for putting a site on there.

I have never yet pulled any ads at all because I thought they paid low. Some topics and keywords have ALL low paying ads - but if it's worth having the pages up, then so be it. If they're on topic and have value for visitors, I consider them to be a valuable addition to my content - ads are content for people looking to buy.

If you are paying for Adwords can you filter out your own site so your own ad doesn't appear on your own website??

The best way to properly optimize potential Adsense ads, is to first properly optimize your pages with the proper keywords. I have noticed that if I'm getting ads not relevant to the page, all I need to do is tinker with the amount of keywords on the page and dial it in. Works almost every time for me.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

ABW Ambassador
    There's really no way to tell at any given time what the higher or lower paying ads are, except as a generality for a niche. It depends on how competitive and how much advertisers are paying.

Something like data recovery or insurance or debt consolidation costs a lot more for Adwords than less competitive consumer products with a low ticket value that give the advertiser a low margin of profit.

Aside from trying to optimize the pages (and fiddle with site navigation sometimes) so that relevant ads will run, the ones that should be filtered out are off-topic ones, or ads that don't benefit visitors - in other words, junk ads.

Don't forget about the AdSense content targetting code. Pick a strong paragraph on your page to point google at, and it will help reduce google misinterpreting words.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Don't forget about the AdSense content targetting code. Pick a strong paragraph on your page to point google at, and it will help reduce google misinterpreting words.
    Do you put Google right into the paragraph? How do you point google at a specific paragraph?

I was thinking of putting Google into a side bar.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Rhia

Can you please start with adsense already this is the 57th post that you have made about it. Some people here are set to get an email everytime a message has been posted in this forum. I am sorry but this is tough love.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Rhia
    Put these tags above and below the main content with keywords you want google to show ads for
    <!-- google_ad_section_start -->

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

then paste the adsense code in the side bar.
    The two tags help more acurate targeting but it's not essential.

Quote Originally Posted by markschok
    Rhia
    Put these tags above and below the main content with keywords you want google to show ads for
    <!-- google_ad_section_start -->

<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

then paste the adsense code in the side bar.
    The two tags help more acurate targeting but it's not essential.
    Great idea! I'm gonna do that
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

If you are paying for Adwords can you filter out your own site so your own ad doesn't appear on your own website??
    Was wondering if anybody knew this??

I would assume that the ad filter would work as it does for all other filtered advertisers on your domain and not show your own ads. But, to be sure I would actually contact Google for complete clarity on this question.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I never get a response to any of my questions for Google. I have sent 3 total and one of the questions was this one and I have not yet heard anything back and it has been over a month.

My guess is they respond to whoever they want to. I just know my own Ad shows up on my site from time to time and I would like to see it not do that.

Anyway, thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by DesignerWiz
    I would assume that the ad filter would work as it does for all other filtered advertisers on your domain and not show your own ads. But, to be sure I would actually contact Google for complete clarity on this question.
    I'd agree with DesignerWiz. I put my URL into my Adsense Competitive Ad Filter, and it never shows on my site. You may want to give this a shot.
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread