ABW Ambassador
    Whining and rambling.
    I guess I'm posting this as a cry for help. I know help is cryptic around here and with good reason, and I appreciate all the help that I get here. I just need to vent a little. It's been about two years since I started posting here and building affiliate sites. I'm not where I want to be in this. I've just recently began using adwords, and I'm about to start dabbling with datafeeds. I just need more out of this.

Affiliate veterans, think back to when you received the joy of quitting your day job. I dream of that day. I think of Leader's posts and how she hates the word "j*b". I'm greatful for my job, but say your boss has been riding your butt, telling you how you need to get your stats up to average to receive the bonuses your were supposed to be given. It's your job to raise everyones' stats, but in doing so, you place the average higher making it tougher to get your own bonus. Then your boss stresses about everything and it takes the joy of out working there. That's what I'm going through at work now, and it's motivating me to work on my sites more. I'm greatful for my job, but I just want to do AM full time.

I guess I'm just giving a one sided view of it, but I'm just tired of dreaming of being a super affiliate and only bringing in about $450 in a good month at this.

Somebody help please... pm me a tip... tell me a motivational story or something... anything.

Oh yeah, sorry to waste your time whining. I just need some kind of motivation since I've been doing this for 2 years and am only this far along.

Had to vent.

Quote Originally Posted by bpal

Somebody help please... pm me a tip... tell me a motivational story or something... anything.

Oh yeah, sorry to waste your time whining. I just need some kind of motivation since I've been doing this for 2 years and am only this far along.

Had to vent.
    Well I've been doing this since about 1998/99 and the commissions are like a roller coaster for me but here are 2 recent motivational stories:

A positive spin!

Happy Happy Joy Joy
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    bpal,

I only started making a REAL living at AM when I stopped working for others and devoted 100% of my work energy to my own business. Seemed to have worked and you're one step ahead by having found ABW while still maintaining a regular j*b.

Everything you're giving your current boss, given to your OWN business will surely enrich you but only you know if you are ready and willing to give up the security of a paycheck and whatever other benefits you are getting from being employed. I wasn't at all certain of the outcome but it's worked out exactly as I figured it would: full time effort = full time income.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you both for the replies. I can't quit my day job just yet though. My wife and I are about to close on our first home... so I'm stuck working. I'm greatful for the job, but I really want to do AM. I know for one thing that I have to put more hours in online though. If I can't quit my day job, I need to work around it so to speak.

Keep at it bpal - do you have good traffic? if not, work at that - what are your highest trafficked pages? build more of those. Drop whatever isn't working so well (well don't drop the pages, but stop making them) and put the effort into what works.

About 3 years ago I was ready to stop being such an active webmaster (like you after about 2 years of work) my wife and a good friend (webmaster) kept me going and literally within another couple of months things started to get realistic - I've never looked back.

$450 a month may not be enough to live on, but it does show that you CAN do this, the first step is the highest and you've taken it. I didn't and still don't work full time at this, I do 4 days a week at my real world job as a teacher, so have the rest of the time including the generous holidays too. I could easily quit and do this full time but choose not to.

Your bonus system sounds like it stinks, sounds like there's a fixed amount in the bonus pot and it goes to whoever does best that month or whatever, so the employer doesn't have to pay any more than he/she has planned. No kind of bonus at all, just a race to be first to the cookie jar.

I had a great moment when I realised I earned far more than the headteacher at the school where I work from my p/t webmastering - it was a hugely liberating moment when I just switched off totally from the petty politics and stresses of any day-job. Now I go because I want to - and they know it.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    $450 a month may not be enough to live on, but it does show that you CAN do this
    This does say quite a lot. Dwell here.

You're a professional and rev growth is (and always will be) your goal from here.

Internet Cowboy
    about $450 in a good month
    If you rely on search engine traffic you will have the craziness of 50% less traffic at any given time for no reason at all. Right now, if you have a $450 month one month and $150 the next, you need to work on maintaining $450 month in and month out. This will wreak havoc at the level where it is your main income. Depending on what you are promoting, you might want to try some PPC, but be careful and smart . Bid low on tight niches.
    Most of all quit whinning and get to work! In two years your boss will still be stressing over someone else's business. Chances are good that in two years you can be stressing over your own. That thought would give me some comfort throughout the day.

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you guys... this helps a lot. I've started ppc recently, and I'm not doing much with it yet other than learning and dabbling. I'm starting to get an idea of how it can be profitable though. The traffic is coming to my sites without paying also, but it isn't as much as I would like. I'm getting sales, but I'm wanting to grow my sites and get them on a more consistent basis. It's like one month I'll have a sale every day or two, a $40 dollar day here and there, and I've even had as high as a $140 dollar day... I just want to get to where those $140 dollar days are everyday.

I know for one thing that I have to put more hours in online though. If I can't quit my day job, I need to work around it so to speak.
    You do have to put in the hours until you get the traffic and sales where you want them. Always look for ways to streamline your efforts (just like you do at work). Now - as for working around your day job. What do you do? What value do you bring to that company? Is it something you know that you could be writing about? Is your job motivating or training others? Could you have a blog or a mini-site that mirrors what you do at work without infringing on trademarks or copyrights?

Last but absolutely not least: I didn't make a dime until I came here and learned about parasites. Make sure you're not feeding somebody else's kids with your efforts.

If you're making something, then keep at it.

id Love to be making $450 a month. Thats a car payment for a nice car, or half a months rent, lol

Everyone who is SERIOUS about this business is only a few good breaks away from clearing a decent living in this business. The right back link, the right blog mention, or a page you accidentally SEO better than you thought you could

Keep trying. All the super affs here started somewhere. And they worked hard to get where they are, even if they don't have to work too much now.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    affiliate marketing today is more complex than several years ago. back then, if you have traffic, you get a few sales here and there. now, it's a whole new ballgame. a lot of things to factor. so, it ain't easy.

just don't get sucked into the greed factor. people who do either gets frustrated and move on from affiliate marketing or they become the bad guys.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread