ABW Ambassador
    At my site(s), and especially during this time of the year (after Christmas) I get a lot of "window shoppers"/comparison shoppers. What strategies, if you will, do you employ to get them to buy? Today, my conversions suck. I have had real good traffic, but not the click through, or sale conversions I would like.

Thanks, in advance, for any tips you might share.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

I don't know. Perhaps Leader would suggest pointing out some time limited offers. I'd try getting them to come back when they *are* ready to buy, except I can't think how to do that either [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

f

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Actually I wouldn't change the site for a one-day trend. I basically try to use a pitch (all the time) that will at least get them to click the merchant link. That way, the people are at least Cookied! Typically, a few days after I get a lot of lookers, there's a sales spike which can be traced to those cookies they picked up.

(This part assumes targeted traffic that has shown an interest in particular products [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    IF, on an ongoing basis (over a period of at least TWO weeks), I find that people are CONSISTANTLY looking without immediately buying (but they ARE coming back later and buying)--then I would say to change the ad spin to have some Buy Todays, Buy Nows, or similar words. The lower the ticket, the better this works. High-ticket (triple digit) stuff is immune.

If you're not seeing enough sales from cookies despite all the window shoppers, put some Click Heres in to increase your CTR and therefore the amount of people who get the cookie. If you already have Click Heres in, then some surrounding copy to increase their desire to click is needed.

If your merchants' prices are above the competition's, expect a lower CR. You'll need to push something else--quality, shipping speed, etc.--to override a noncompetitive price.

Never say a place has an "easy return policy" or you'll be bombed in reversals! But having a Guarantee is good. Just don't use that R word...

But for a one day thing, I really wouldn't advise changing anything, provided that what you currently have on the site usually works. I've never found it worthwhile to change things for a one-day or two-day occurance. I even leave "deactivated" links up for an extra day (because it seems that a lot of the time they're un-deactivated the next day).

As for offers which are truly time-limited, sorry Francis, I hate 'em because they cause extra work and are also way too easy to forget about (leaving me with dead offers on my pages when they expire). If there's a REALLY HOT sale I would probably run it, but sure as shootin' I'll find it again two months later...dead and gone to mold!

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks. I have made a bunch of product ads/web pages, and look forward to seeing them added to the google index in Feb. I don't think some of my new pages made it before the last crawl. I think you're right about the one day stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if that doesnt mess me up with the search ranking this time, as I had some holiday promotional stuff that was only temporary. i hope I don't have people searching for deals they wont find now that Christmas is past. Oh well, live and learn.

Personally I don't bother with a link that looks like it might not last a year. Seasonal stuff goes on seasonal pages, and I've never used a coupon code on my site.

I think life is too short, probably. If I want to increase clickthroughs that badly I'll make a doorway page with the link saying 'enter'.

Maybe I just like minimalism [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

f

Merry Christmas Chuck!
    Have you started something for Valentines Day? It might help to generate some $$$.
    I started a small section. http://www.mailordering.com/mailordervalentines.html
    Gerry

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread