More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Exclamation Help!!!!!!!!
    I am getting a "Can't Write To File" error. Furthermore, my index page has been wiped out.

Could anyone help me on this? I have run this bunch of files before successfully. I did move the files to a new folder but I reassigned all settings to the new folder.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I manually restored the index page. Upon running WebMerge again, it wiped out my index file (again). Removed everything.

What is going on?
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager
    WebMerge generates files, but it doesn't delete them. To determine what's going on with your system, perhaps the best thing would be to list anything that changed between the current setup and the last time it worked there.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

The only thing that changed was I moved the templates and source file into the folder that contains the files. WebMerge did not delete the file, it created a file with all content deleted in the body - a file with nothing but <body></body>. Also some of the header tags were removed.

I emailed my templates, data file, and webmerge files into support. They should be able to figure out what happened here. Very weird - never has anything like this happened before. I have made plenty of errors in the past but I could always see what the problem was from the error report.

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    WebMerge generates files, but it doesn't delete them. To determine what's going on with your system, perhaps the best thing would be to list anything that changed between the current setup and the last time it worked there.
    Richard,

You should elaborate more on the part that, WebMerge generates files, but it doesn't delete them.

While it's true that WebMerge don't necessarily delete files, WebMerge do overwrite files with the same name that are on the directory where the new WebMerge pages are been created.

I know that you have that info on the help file, but many people don't read the whole file, and then stuff happens.

I know that if I run WebMerge on the same directory that I used before, it will overwrite the old files there.

Sometimes after I make I new directory with WebMerge, I would take the index.html file and customize it to my liking, but a few weeks later when I am updating a datafeed, if I don't rename or move that old index file before I run WebMerge again, I will lose my original and unique index.html design that I made before.

So in a way, WebMerge do indeed somehow, delete old files by overwriting then with the new info.

Sal.

Affiliate Manager
    True, WebMerge will do what you tell it to do. If you instruct it to create files in a given directory, it will do that. Like anything else that writes to the same file name, if there's already a file with that name it will be overwritten. Most people like it this way, since otherwise they'd have to delete every file manually before each WebMerge run.
    Richard Gaskin

Just an update: The WebMerge file seemed to have gotten corrupted when I moved from directory to directory. I started new with brand new everything. When I tried running my new templates through the old Webmerge file, I got the same error. I then created a brand new set of WM files with EXACTLY the same settings and they worked fine. I now just have to finish off the templates and I will be set. Please look into the files I sent you anyway - I would like to know what was going on.

Affiliate Manager
    Please send me a Zipped copy of the new file so I can compare them.

Thanks -
    Richard Gaskin

Richard, I just sent you the second batch of files in a zip file. Let me know what you find.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread