Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Unhappy Short-Lived Promotions and Coupons Are a Waste of Time..(vent)
    I have noticed that many new promotions and coupon codes have expiration dates that range from 3-days to a week. This seems to be a growing trend and not a good one (imo). I have to wonder what kind of staff the affiliate managers think we all have out here to maintain so many changes so quickly.

What ends up happening with me, is that I choose a few of what I think are the really strong deals and let the rest slide. Since I often work with cross links from one site to another, it is impossible to do much of it with short-lived promos and to blog something so short lived is a waste.

If a promo lasts at the very least, 2 weeks, then I am more prone to post it. Those that last a month always are posted.

The occasional 4-day holiday sale is understandable, but any other time it is just to labor intensive to keep up with it unless someone can suggest some method which could help.

Thanks
    (I feel better getting that off my chest)
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    I just ignore them when they come in for short term, which most all of them do. Sometimes I think they're just an excuse for AMs to send emails to remind affiliates about their program.

I can't tell you how many times I get emailed from merchants offering some coupon offer that has already expired, or will in a couple days.

ABW Ambassador
    Moving right along with this, why do they wait until the very last minute to make holiday creatives & links available so they'll only be up a short time and sometimes miss the PEAK of shopping season - with us barely having time to get them up, or NO time to get them up.

Why can't they have them ready a few months in advance, giving us time to get pages freshly updated and ready in plenty of time for shoppers?

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    Why can't they have them ready a few months in advance, giving us time to get pages freshly updated and ready in plenty of time for shoppers?
    I agree..or at least 2 weeks so we can do a little strategizing. You always hear grumblings about sites which largely promote deals being unprofessional. In fact, I saw in the last Revenue Mag. a total bashing of coupon/deal sites. If more emphasis was put on planning by the companies/affl. managers.. then maybe a better (and more timely) presentation would be made on the affiiates part. Sometimes I feel like I'm just throwing mud at my monitor when I try to update a bunch of short promotions.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

ABW Ambassador
    I think merchants with coupons should have both short term and longer term, give affiliates a little choice. The short ones work good for me on the front page and since it's so short it's more of a call to action type thing. If someone comes to your site and sees a coupon is only good for 2 days or has 2 days left, it might inspire them to use it. If i was a merchant I would have something like a month long coupon and shorter ones throughout the month, easily done.

ABW Ambassador
    OK, I will try this on a page that's got mostly homepage listings and traffic:

short ones work good for me on the front page and since it's so short it's more of a call to action type thing
    Thanks! They'd be hard to keep track of and maintain on interior pages, but the homepage is easy to remember to update on a site or two, especially if it's weekend sales.

ABW Ambassador
    Also there are other affiliates who are more technically adapt than myself and have it setup where the coupons vanish once they expire and also other affiliates, some big time deal sites/couponers who have employees to handle this and they need something to keep them occupied

It's good to have a mix I think.

That's a good point, Trust. Maybe when I grow up I'll have employees
    leeann

I just ignore them when they come in for short term, which most all of them do. Sometimes I think they're just an excuse for AMs to send emails to remind affiliates about their program.
    I agree.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Short is not bad if they send new ones out promtly to my inbox heh. But if they don't send anything leaving with you with nothing then it's a bad deal.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I wonder why more merchants are not offering coupons via RSS. Be nice just put up an RSS feed with the aff id's attached and never worry about out of date coupons.

The solution to this situation is simply to create banners that you only have to post once and the merchants will update. The only problem that I have with the self updating banner is that the new promotion may not be in keeping with usage on my site. Example, kitchenware promotion creatives should always only be used for promoting kitchenware and not whatever fancies the merchant. I have a number of merchants that use these type banners and they work very well at keeping fresh promotions before the shopper without a lot of updating of pages on my part. I wish more merchants would realize the value of these banners.

Gene
    TCS

I have noticed that many new promotions and coupon codes have expiration dates that range from 3-days to a week.
    You forgot to mention those that come in emails with 24 to 48 hours expiration dates, like the ones that a merchant with a forum on ABW like to send almost every week.

Ditto leeann, I hear you.

They might work ok when you have a really hot page that receives a lot of traffic, but that would be about it.

What I like is when the merchant has banner ads (I like the 125x125 or smaller ones best) that have sales that change with the seasons, that's pretty cool.

Love You,
    HumbleFish

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    We are not a coupon driven merchant, but since no other merchant is speaking up I thought I would give it a go.

Most specials/sales/promotions, outside of clearance, are in conjunction with the vendor/manufacturer of the product. Most products are have an element of seasonality to them. For shoes it is usually boots in the winter, sandals in spring, running shoes in summer, dress shoes in fall. Although we know what type of product will be hot, we don't know what the vendors will have in stock, what they will discontinue, whether they will have any creative (pictures) available for their new seasonal items, and what our price points AND our competitor's price points will be. Not to mention how many people/layers of redtape it takes to design the creative and approve a product/sale/coupon. When you combine that all in the mix, most merchants are constantly sprinting from deadline to deadline.

For us, we try to give our affiliates 1-2 weeks notice on any promotion and try to offer easily swappable banners, dynamic banners, or text link as options. We have found, through error, that short promotion lengths don't work so we try to give each promotion at least a weeks running time if not up to a month.

Trust also has a very good point about "calls to action" in terms of highlighting a promotion.

Hope that helps.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

I dont have the time to waste on coupons. I only run one set on all my sites and that is (Free plug coming up) Easyclicktravels drm links. They get changed by the merchant, I dont have to deal with it at all. Set it and forget it.

Angel you may want to ask Mike how he does it!
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Outsourced Program Manager Angel Djambazov's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Grin. I am sure it is a dynamic link of sorts, but I will pick Mike's brain just in case.
    Angel Djambazov
    Managing Edtior ReveNews
    OPM for Keen Shoes and Graphicly.com

This is how the coupons need to be handled.

a. Coupons need to be sent at least one week in advance. Do not send April coupons in middle of April or a Weekend promotion coupons on Friday.

b. Weekend discount coupons, which will be placed in landing or home pages should typically be in 125x125 or similar sizes, should be self changing, and should change to regular discount / promotion once the dates have passed. This way the coupons become managable, specially with multiple sites.

c. Coupons should land on the merchant's discount landing page, not the general home page where the particular coupons are sometimes never even mentioned. It confuses customers.

d. As mentioned in above post, a KitchenWare changing coupon should change to Kitchenware Promotion or coupon, and not Bathroom fittings.

Quote Originally Posted by dflsports
    I wonder why more merchants are not offering coupons via RSS. Be nice just put up an RSS feed with the aff id's attached and never worry about out of date coupons.
    That would be too simple.
    leeann

Short-term coupons can produce incredible conversions.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    I dont have the time to waste on coupons. I only run one set on all my sites and that is (Free plug coming up) Easyclicktravels drm links. They get changed by the merchant, I dont have to deal with it at all. Set it and forget it.

Sounds good to me
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You know, I'll post them promos either way even if their expireing the next day. You know why?

Because 3 4 5 6 7 months from the day I posted even though that links promo has expired I tend to start making a sales with those expired links.

Example.
    8 Months ago I posted a yahoo 2.99 promo. Promo expired. That 1 link on that 8 month old page has made me money every day for the past 2 weeks. Google and Yahoo love Archives.

ABW Ambassador
    Google and Yahoo love Archives
    Are those coupons on a regular page or on archived pages?

I posted them on my forum in the webhosting section. so its an OLD thread in my forum that isn't even visable when you visit that particular forum unless you go to page 60.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast