Product link search: reporting question
    I'm trying to find reasons why some of my best performing products are not producing and when tiring to search for these products via the product search I can not find them, yet they are available with the merchant. This leads me to a question.

If the products are not available in the search for product link, do the links in place track properly? Nothing is showing up in the invalid report , but these products have performed much better than they have recently. (each link would go to the advertiser and I know for a fact some advertisers do not report OOS items as invalid)

I'm looking for comments from feed based sites...are you up down or even on your click to sales?

...just looking for answers.

I've added new products by pulling the item ID from the store site... long before they became available in the CJ interface. Sales definitely track; who knows if that is on a merchant by merchant basis, though. My conversion rate is down a small bit for April but it is certainly within the realm of averages and one of my big merchants has a lame coupon this month... so I'd say right on track.

Hoff,

sounds like your using a redirected url destination...is that correct? I'm talking about using the data feed to create a product link. I data feed link will have a different aid, that i fear is not tracking when the product does not show in a product search.

Ah yea you're right. Both feeds I was thinking of use redirected URLs for all of the links.

Hoff,

when you say feed do you mean link? I'm using a full list of available products or data feed to create my links, not just using a link from their program after defining a landing page of choice.

Yep yep, I build sites with datafeeds... downloaded from CJ FTP or from the merchant themselves-- tab delimited XLS or CSV files. With both merchants where I've added my own items before they make it to the feed, both feeds use the URL redirection method rather than a proper item link.

example line from one of CJ's feeds:

MERCHANT http://www.merchant.com/?source=CJ 02/13/2006 04:27:56 PM ... /click-1110457-11111921?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.merchant.com%2Fstore%2Fen%2Fbrowse%2Fgo.jsp%3Furl%3D%252Fstore%252Fen%252Fbrowse%252Fsku_detail.jsp%253Fsource%253DCJ%2526id%253DCL-1020

Hoff,

when all is done and the visitor is sent to the advertiser, you've used the link provided in the feed correct?

try doing a search for any given product you know produces and let me know if you can find it under a product search.

Thanks for taking time to help me problem solve this ;-)

>>when all is done and the visitor is sent to the advertiser, you've used the link provided in the feed correct?

Correct. My sites build affiliate links by having a base URL and then it appends the itemID on to the end of the URL to form a proper redirect link so they look just like the feed links.

>>try doing a search for any given product you know produces and let me know if you can find it under a product search.

OK, I just searched for an item that I know I sell at least 1 of per day from that merchant above. The link I use is just like the one from the feed and it is the same link as the one produced from the product search. Evidently, all of their links use the redirect method even if you get them from the CJ product search.

>>Thanks for taking time to help me problem solve this ;-)

No problem!

Glad to hear your product was found ;-)

Mine was not, which brought up the whole question. If the product is not found and the advertiser still sells this. Will a click on this link generate a trackable sale (clicks have been traking fine) or will the fact that the product is not avialable via the search somehow filter out the sale to nonreports ville?

I changed one link to a redirected link via a different AID and will know soon if non reporting is an issue in a case like this. Additionally it's encoded, so that is an extra wrinkel.

OK I see your point

However, with that same product in question, there was a period of a few weeks when the item was not in the feed and was not in the product search. I had it on my site, added manually, and it was selling. I have a #1 Google slot for the product name so I added it as soon as it was available on the merchant's site. Hope that 1 example helps, maybe others will chime in.

Hoff,

That is much closer to my original question ;-) i'll know more hopefully by tonight regarding my test link.

btw if your running a feed site, how did you know that the product was no longer available? I'm driving some ppc at my product, so i'm watching it close.

I only do natural search, so out of date products aren't a big deal to me.. they get to the merchant's site and might browse around. The product in question is popular and goes out of stock once in a while, but the links still work. Sorry, I'm no help on that one.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread