Have you ever tried or thought about approaching a merchant about doing some affiliate marketing with them when they had no system in place?

How did it go? How would you set up a tracking system if they were interested?

Thanks!
    Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    too many others to make money off of to be helping the losers. I gladly share ideas and tips with my money makers. The others just get their links removed. I guess there would be an exception if I saw potential... maybe.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Vicki, I have tried approaching a couple of stores that didn't have any affiliate program, but they never responded to the emails.

It might be worth a shot anyway--even if they don't jump on the idea, it may at least get them thinking about an affiliate program!

ABW Ambassador
    Vicki, I really think they have to be willing to set up the tracking system -- otherwise, how will they ever trust it? I think if the affiliate sets up the tracking program, they're doomed to argue over every payment...

I would absolutely contact someone who doesn't appear to have an affiliate program, though... some of them do, just not publicly announced. I have one such vendor right now -- I'm their fourth affiliate... there is a certain amount of trust involved... they only do monthly reports (I'm pushing for weekly) and no online stats... it's a dicey biz, but NOBODY has what they have (they created the product and do not have distributors)... I would never spend any money advertising such a gig until the first reports (and paycheck) are in, but I think it's worth it to give it a shot.

But, I wouldn't do anything from my end to set up tracking... to me, it seems like a nightmare waiting to happen.

Big Chuck, I'm not talking about a small company, nickel and dime stuff.

Thanks though!

Thanks all!

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Vicki ]

ABW Ambassador
    oic... I do it this way...

If a merchant contacts me, inquiring about advertising, I send them a link to an all ready made web page detailing affiliate marketing. I tell them that they can partner with me through CJ (20% commish if they sign), and that is how I will promote their products and services. You may want to discuss with an affiliate rep as to the different ways you can approach merchants. if you're a good talker, then your work toward "helping" them will be good for you, too [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Big Chuck ]

ABW Ambassador
    What Cedric said and some are willing to go WAY out of their way to help.

One firm designed a frontend page and gave us our own 800# so their call center can track our business as well.

Monthly reports are a pain!

I'm trying to set up a site for a merchant who has no web presence. Mid to high ticket items. For all purchases via the site we will require commissions (phoned orders, faxed orders also). Also going to get a separate 1-800 if it goes well. A bit too close to web design for my taste (ick, I have to learn database work under time constraints), but it's skills I need anyway. And since it's a "merchant" site, I'll list it in DMOZ, Yahoo.... and hey guess I can put up the same type of pages I put up to my other merchants that rank well in SE's to drive traffic. We'll see. I'll let you all know as it comes together (or doesn't).

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread