Opening up a new window or clicking through
    I am inquiring with experienced affiliates whether they have noticed higher conversion rates (clicks to sales) when utilizing the open a new window feature instead of moving them to another. Link Share has this option and so does CJ. But I have been randomly implementing it without much analysis for my niche site. Any advice would be appreciated. (Note, I am going to post this on LinkShare's thread too) What are the pros and cons? Do you think a visitor is less likely to continue through on a smaller screen?

Here is what Link Share says:

Affiliates may prefer to use this tag so that visitors will not actually leave your site.

As LinkShare says, I prefer to use the tag so that visitors will not actually leave my site! Therefore, every link on my site opens in a new window. However, I change the tag from target="_blank" to target="top". This way, every time the visitor clicks on a link, it opens in the same window, and doesn't open a new window each time.

The only negative I have encountered is some of the pop-up blockers out there inhibit the new window from opening up. I've put a disclaimer at the bottom of all pages explaining that all links off-site open in the one new window and that the visitor may need to turn off their pop-up blocker in order to visit the other sites.

ABW Ambassador
    There are some old threads on this and people trying out both ways didn't notice any conversion differences. So I think conversion wise, pretty much the same. Most blockers I believe are ok with links opening up in new windows but some aren't so because of that I don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy
    As LinkShare says, I prefer to use the tag so that visitors will not actually leave my site! Therefore, every link on my site opens in a new window. However, I change the tag from target="_blank" to target="top". This way, every time the visitor clicks on a link, it opens in the same window, and doesn't open a new window each time.

The only negative I have encountered is some of the pop-up blockers out there inhibit the new window from opening up. I've put a disclaimer at the bottom of all pages explaining that all links off-site open in the one new window and that the visitor may need to turn off their pop-up blocker in order to visit the other sites.
    That's a great way to handle it.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Thanks for the response
    It does seem like it would not be worth it due to the pop-up blockers. I wanted to do a new thread because there are so many great new tools like datafeeds. If you were blocked even 5% of the time it would not be worth it. There would be no CTR, so no reporting, etc. Many of my visitors are at their office when they are surfing my site and they are clicking through product with price displayed to checkout on the merchant site. I would guess that office computers have higher security protection than home, but that is just anecdotal evidence.

Great advice though on the rewrite of code. Any other thoughts pro vs. con?
    Thanks.

I used to do a lot of new window links before, but now I'm working to make everything open in the same window. I'm mostly doing it out of respect for my visitors. If they want to open my links in the same window they should be able to. If they want to open in a new tab or new window they can do that with a right click. If my site was useful to them they'll come back.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread