Has this happened to you ??
    Have any of you had a feed from a merchant yet it didnt match what the merchant has on their website.

I came across this - a dead link -- and another product that was altered alitte (name change & price change).

I downloaded a current feed but still doesnt match. I talked to the Merchant & they will change it.

Wanted to know if this happens alot & if its something I need to worry about.

Kend

Were you required to pay for that?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

For the feed -- no.

I asked because I know that CJ and some merchants in Linkshare require a $200 initiation/set-up fee.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

This has not happened to anyone else ????

If not, then I dont need to worry about other merchants.

Another question though, How do you check if links are dead or not --- only if you have a problem (ie. you find it by hitting the link or someone)

Is there some sort of automatted way of knowing that an image or product page URL is no longer active??

Please comment -- I dont know if this is a big concern or not.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Sure, an occosional problem may happen - it's a lot of data that's usually subject to changes.

I have one merchant where the product images are changing all the time (unique product, so each sale changes the feed / inventory). I have a private page that loads 500 random images from the pool so I can do a 10 second quality check every once in a while. Luckily, in 6 months, I've seen only 1 broken link and it was fixed within 10 minutes of reporting it. Reviewing the images can be automated, but the visual bath I take in their product inspires ideas within me, so I've chosen to not automate it.

In the last 90 days or so, there was a post here at ABW with scripting someone had done to manage broken image links... bet it could easily be changed to meet your needs. ABW search box awaits your command...

Have fun.

I did a search on a few terms that I could think of --and didnt come up with anything... I'll try again

Thanks Donunts

Kend

I had one SAS merchant whose datafeed was so outdated that many products no longer existed, prices were higher at the merchant site etc. I alerted the merchant, they didn't respond, I pulled the links...
    This was my only encounter of this kind, other feeds I get are ok.
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

It happens fairly frequently. Most merchants will update their feeds automatically every day, but it's a manual process with many merchants.

If I'm using prices, I'll generally require that the merchant have automatic daily updates.

Talking with Asif from GoldenCAN in Miami last week, he said that he monitors the updates and stops displaying prices if there hasn't been an updated feed in 30 days. That's a great way of handling it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread