Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Are you guys making less money on Adsense than before?
    Ive heard that people are making less money on Adsense than before, is this true?
    Have you seen a decrease on your clicks, or is it about the same as always?

After a while people get so used to seeing Adsense panels on so many websites that the "banner blindess" effect kicks in.

I don't think Adsense will ever wither away, but it seems that we may be at the juncture where the novelty has worn off and there may be a little bit less click activity than there used to be.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Absolutely I've seen a big decrease in payments (more than half) from AdSense, although not necessarily because clicks are down. Since it's against Goog's TOS to post numbers, I'll refrain from saying anything else.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Goes up everyday
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Goes up and down, up for a few months than back down, last month way back up. Now I’m only talking about a 3 or 4 hundred dollar swing, but it is a roller coaster.
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

ABW Ambassador
    Goes sideways to the left and to the right in a circular motion.

less money

15 years and counting
    Still the same. $0.00
    I don't have AdSense on my web sites.
    Maybe, I'm old fashioned, I have websites to convince my visitors to buy from my merchants/partners. PERIOD.
    I'm an affiliate.
    Why should I drive them away from my sites on a blind date? There's a risk!
    It will be admitting I'm a failure in Affiliate Marketing. I respect my visitors, my links are tested, (Can you do it with Google?)
    I try to fully check my merchants and I don't have complains. (Maybe it's why I've so many repeat customers and high earning)

I understand it's a nice way to monetize a content site, a forum... and I respect it. Much better than to strike a deal with thieves like smiley central, screensavers... or worse Zango.

Others, use AdSense with a "shit on the wall" approach. Sorry, it's not my business model.

Do I need AdSense to make money? Well, no. There's a life without AdSense.

My Adsense continues to go up everyday also. But it is an area that I've been researching and spending quite a bit of time monetizing.

I agree with Choc. Chicken that people absolutely are blinded by the usual Adsense ads. The key is to strategically place your Asense on your pages. Find a way that is new and different than what everyone else is doing. Think outside of the Adsense box!

Use Adsense to bring a service to your visitors. They are there for information and Adsense can give you a means of helping them find another stepping stone in their search. And the great part is - you get paid when they click.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Yes its going down since Feburary about 50% less then before.I think most people are suffering from ad blindness and Google has raised its minmum to 100.00 ,their stock has been suffering also.

ABW Ambassador
    Depending on your pages it could also be because of what season/time of the year we're in. People tend to bid more during the last quarter. I had one page that was making 10x in November and December than the rest of the months. Overall my bids are higher during the last quarter too.

"Maybe, I'm old fashioned, I have websites to convince my visitors to buy from my merchants/partners. PERIOD.
    I'm an affiliate.
    Why should I drive them away from my sites on a blind date? There's a risk!"

There is always the risk that the click-through to the merchant will not culminate in the sale. In fact, "risk" is not the right word. "Likelihood" would be more like it. Some will buy and most won't.

Chances are, if somebody clicks on your Adsense ad instead of your commissionable affiliate link, it's because the item(s) displayed on your page are not quite what they were hoping to find.

Driving traffic for commissionable sales from merchants is certainly the main objective, but I'd rather get paid for that exit traffic than see it just move along to another site because I didn't have exactly what the visitor was looking for.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate_Chicken
    Driving traffic for commissionable sales from merchants is certainly the main objective, but I'd rather get paid for that exit traffic than see it just move along to another site because I didn't have exactly what the visitor was looking for.
    Exactly. Plus with sites like Amazon that have short to nonexistent cookies I would rather make the click commission than trust I will make the sale immediately.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    There is always simple math you can do once you try adsense. What do I make per 1000 vistors or per 1000 clicks through affiliate links only? What do I make per 1000 vistors or per 1000 clicks through adsense links only? What do I make per 1000 vistors or per 1000 clicks through adsense and affiliate links?

You will then have your answer of which way is worth doing. Of course always keep testing, revisting etc.

You have to keep experimenting and trying "new" things. Adsense is hardly new, if you have not tried it, you are a leading canidate to be an affiliate *****ing in a year or two about how affiliate marketing is dead, how there is no money to be made online. That is not to say adsense will be the answer for you, but if you are not willing to try new things in this industry - you will eventually hit a wall.

I have found they work great in combination. I think adsense just picks away the lookers, not the buyers (for most sites). And my adsense is up, grows every month.

Chet

15 years and counting
    Chances are, if somebody clicks on your Adsense ad instead of your commissionable affiliate link, it's because the item(s) displayed on your page are not quite what they were hoping to find.
    I agree,
    I'm confident enough my visitor will find the right product at the right price on my page to don't need to monetize my exit traffic.
    I'm getting conversion rate as high as 1 sale every 5 clicks for some products. I will not get that without targeted traffic.
    It's a choice.

I think adsense just picks away the lookers, not the buyers (for most sites).
    YES!! When people are there looking for information, use Adsense.

When I get tired of building pages for my sales sites, I write and build pages for my content sites. When I get tired of writing, I build pages for my sales sites.

I would NEVER put Adsense on a page that has well-performing affiliate links. I save Adsense for the things that I enjoy writing about but have a hard time either finding affiliate programs or making money from the particular topic. I have one site in particular that makes a really nice income...but it is a TOUGH topic to make money off of. It has great traffic and Adsense fits really nicely.

I know that some people think that you have to be on one side of the fence or the other...but I think most people, with a little creativity, can do both.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

15 years and counting
    You have to keep experimenting and trying "new" things. Adsense is hardly new, if you have not tried it, you are a leading canidate to be an affiliate *****ing in a year or two about how affiliate marketing is dead, how there is no money to be made online.
    You're talking to the wrong person.
    I made money (and much more than you can imagine) these last 10 years as an affiliate. Do you think in 10 years I had no time to experiment new techniques (and use the profitable ones for long term profit).
    "You have to keep experimenting and trying "new" things." Sure. Doesn't mean you have to use everything because it's "new"
    Do you know how many "gurus" I've seen failing? How many times I heard if you don't use this new software you're not going to make it?
    "you are a leading canidate to be an affiliate *****ing in a year or two about how affiliate marketing is dead"
    Are you sure? I can't count all the affiliates, on ABW, or other places, I saw one day or and other, bragging on how to make money with new techniques... They are not there anymore.

ABW Ambassador
    Well I have a big imagination, but I didn't think we were measuring sizes... read my post. Do I say just use it? Or that you should experiment to see if you should use it? But I imagine you are so rich someone reads your posts for you, so maybe they skipped that part. How do you know something doesn't work until you tried it?

That makes your post odd coming from you, which makes me think you really did skim it. Experimenting where you can judge failure or sucess is something i know you have spoken about before, that is all this is.

Chet
    Last edited by chetf; April 8th, 2006 at 08:26 PM.

I don't have a lot of adsense going but there is some on a few content sites and March was double the average month. I'm like Zeus and not mixing it with affiliate efforts.

15 years and counting
    How do you know something doesn't work until you tried it?
    Where did I say "it doesn't work" I said "I don't want it", quite different?

I did an evaluation of AdSense. My ultimate goal in affiliate marketing is to obtain the best rankings, and the maximum EPC (average earnings per 100 clicks). AdSense can't help me to achieve that (for my sites)

AdSense is ADVERTISING not affiliate marketing. I even consider it as a short term threat to affiliate marketing, with a possible change of strategies for the merchants. I'm not going to help that trend.

I don't say, "don't use AdSense" or "it doesn't work". I don't mind if affiliates are using it or not. I think it's the best way to monetize a forum or a content site, but, I also think, like bumpaw and Zimmy, AdSense interfere with your Affiliate Marketing effort on well performing sites.

I agree with Zeus.
    I dropped Adsense completely from my websites a year ago & concentrated whole on Affiliate Marketing. And today I am proud to say that I made the right move. Now I make about 70 times more money than I used to earn with Adsense.

This year I've been trying to diversify by writing original content pages w/adsense, but have seen little reward. (not giving up tho.)

I realise some people make megabucks w/adsense, but my worst days from aff marketing are better than my best adsense days...

ABW Ambassador
    On my main site it's straight up affiliate links but:

"AdSense is ADVERTISING not affiliate marketing."

Marketing is part of advertising. And today affiliate marketing has a wider umbrella and I think Adsense fits under there nicely.
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...iate+marketing

"AdSense interfere with your Affiliate Marketing effort on well performing sites."

Not supposed to put in on the well performing sites. Maybe you have a page that's getting some nice traffic but not making as much as you think you should, try Adsense then compare. It's traffic in, traffic out. Who's going to pay you the most for it?

Let's say you have a page getting 100 clicks a day and the outgoing traffic is thru affiliate links. Figure out how much you're making. Now switch it out and put Adsense up sending the same amount of traffic. Figure out how much you're making. Now who's paying you more? It's all a matter of testing. Maybe putting adsense up with affiliate links takes away from the income thru affiliate links and you make less overall because of it. Maybe you make more because if you don't get a sale thru the affiliate links, maybe the click on the Adsense. Maybe all adsense or all affiliate links. Who knows, it's all a matter of testing things out. It kind of can go into how the sale sites vs. content sites threads go. There's no right answer, people are doing it different ways and making money. And our sites and the kind of traffic we get is different.
    Last edited by Trust; April 9th, 2006 at 08:51 AM.

This article, The nonsense about Adsense, may be of interest. In the end, Benjamin Cohen, a "former teenaged dot.com millionaire" decided to sign up with Yahoo!'s pay per click program.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Yahoo doesn't seem to mind click fraud, so he found the right place. Rhia you should actually try Adsense because you post a lot about it but never have tried it yet. Try it, see what you think.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast