ABW Ambassador
    The Difference between Adwords and Adsense
    There's a difference between Adwords and Adsense, and that difference needs to be clearer to people new to the programs, since sometimes there are posts where people seem to be confusing the two.

Adwords is the advertising program through which people buy text ads from Google. Those ads can run on Google's site, on their partners' sites like another search engine (like a meta engine)for example or on webmaster/publisher pages - the content network.

Advertisers PAY to run Adwords ads. They have the option of whether or not they want their ads to be run on the content network (publishers/webmasters websites) or not. If they decide not to, their Adwords ads will still run - and will be seen on Google (or partners) even if JS isn't enabled in browsers, because those are not Javascript.

The Adsense program refers to the program that publishers sign up for to run those Google ads on their site (which are Adwords - but the publisher program is Adsense, so on their pages they're "Adsense" ads). Adsense is the contextual ad program running on people's pages. Publishers do NOT pay - Google pays money to THEM for each click originating from their pages.

That was well said. One thing I don't understand is how adwords advertisers bid for keywords. Why do some ads appear above others and how much more do they pay to get above other ads?

ABW Ambassador
    Here's Google page explaing about the two programs, with a choice two paths to follow:

Google Advertising

For generating revenue off our sites, it's the Adsense program that pays us, so as publishers that's what this forum is for - and mostly what all of us have interest in, because some don't do PPC, but only organic search or other sources of traffic. But we can pay Google to run Adwords ads to get traffic.

One thing I don't understand is how adwords advertisers bid for keywords. Why do some ads appear above others and how much more do they pay to get above other ads?
    That's for the advertiser end of it rather than the publishers end, and there's complete information about that at Google's site (though it could be a lot clearer than it is):

Adwords Overview and Sales Pitch, and the Help Center, and even simpler, the Learning Center which is like an FAQ.

There are sections on the costs, bidding, placements and keyword choices, which is probably the hardest part to learn and get good at, so that there's enough return on the investment to make it worthwhile and not lose a bundle, like a lot of beginners at it do.

From the Adsense publishers point of view, the keywords and how much they cost per click can help us decide what to focus on for site pages, since for some we can get $.03 a click while others are $0.25, $0.50, $1 and above.

ABW Ambassador
    Google API charges delayed until 1st Oct

mackin@makemetop.co.uk

"That was well said. One thing I don't understand is how adwords advertisers bid for keywords. Why do some ads appear above others and how much more do they pay to get above other ads?"

Well...Google assigns each user a quality rating based on how relevant their website is to the adwords they are buying. So if RealNetworks starts buying up home and garden keywords, they are going to be given a lower quality rating and have to pay more money for those keywords - because they probably shouldn't be buying them in the mind of Google.

Another factor I think is demand...some keywords are "high traffic." This is just an example but "free mp3's" might be quite expensive because a lot of people might be looking for that.

ABW Ambassador
    Another factor I think is demand...some keywords are "high traffic." This is just an example but "free mp3's" might be quite expensive because a lot of people might be looking for that.
    Good point. That also affects how much we make on our sites. A site with a lower demand, lower cost topic/keyword set and adverts means we'll make less per click than if our site is on high demand "high traffic" high cost keyword topics.

If an advertiser pays $0.05 or $0.10 a click we'll get paid some percentage of that for clicks on our site, and if they're paying $2.00 a click we'll get paid a percentage of that amount.

So for people who say they get traffic but that their clicks are only making a few cents a click and that their sites running Adsense are making a pittance, it isn't the Adsense program, it's their site and the value of the ads it's running, according to the site's topic and the value/cost of the ads to the advertisers.

Adsense Case Studies are motivating!
    I found the Google Adsense case studies very motivating, and also gleaned a few ideas for tweaking the ads to blend into my sites better.

I have only made $87 this year on google ads, which isn't even enough to get paid (they have a $100 minimum). But after reading the case studies, I've decided to focus more on this type of advertising revenue and see if I can't turn that into $87 a day

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RickPlmr
    I found the Google Adsense case studies very motivating, and also gleaned a few ideas for tweaking the ads to blend into my sites better.

I have only made $87 this year on google ads, which isn't even enough to get paid (they have a $100 minimum). But after reading the case studies, I've decided to focus more on this type of advertising revenue and see if I can't turn that into $87 a day
    Adsense is great for content sites. Blending the ads and colors into your pages as closely as possible works best. With good traffic, you can make a decent check each month from pages where affiliate links and products can't be sold effectively.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    I have only made $87 this year on google ads, which isn't even enough to get paid (they have a $100 minimum).
    So that's less than a million but it's still more than $1.

And do double check the Adsense documentation. If I remember correctly, they close out at year-end and pay up balances even if they're below the minimum required. Don't quote me on that, just double check - you might be in for a surprise. That first check from Google is absolutely thrilling - let us know when you get your first so us old-timers can share the excitement with you.

Adsense seems to have increased the "Ads by Goooooooooogle" placements over their ads.... killing some CTR

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Seems to me that you can blend in affiliate text links where appropriate or even images and, depending on what you site content is, you will make more money from people clicking off your site.

Is Google adsense able to generate high revenue even with so many other PPC advertisers entering the field, is the difference in earning using adsense significant compared to these other PPC advertisers?

So it seems to me the best thing to do is to have at least one website with relatively good traffic to offset the cost of adwords.

I can't understand how are they similar. They are all together different. They have nothing common in between.

adwords and adsense are both google services. adword service is style marketing thought keyword. if use write a word relative keyword that you had registed with google, your site will display on research page of google. other adsense service permit you can post your information by text on google. I think so

Adsense you allow Google to put ads on your site and they pay you. Adwords you buy the ads that go on other people's sites and on search engine results pages.

17. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread