What have we done?
    Yesterday I decided it was time to get my TV viewing into the 21st century. Gonna get Cable TV or maybe satellite TV.

I've seen commercials for both, and I'm forever getting flyers on my door for one or the other. How to decide? Obviously, I went to goog and requested comparison information.

After about a half hour I didn't know any more than when I started about which was better. I had, however, seen one article that purported to be a comparison but was really just spider food. I saw that one in about 10 different places. I also saw lots of come-ons that looked like information but were actually link and banner farms.

I was invited to join a few sites to have access to more information, but I try not to join things. Not even Consumer Reports. That might have gotten me somewhere but I didn't care to try.

So I didn't learn anything about Cable vs Satellite, but I learned quite a bit about what advertising is doing to the web. Hmmm.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Well if this helps you ...

I live in Florida and during the Hurricanes we never lost Satellite TV.
    Until the power went out -- but when we turned on the Generator,
    there it was.

But, during a light shower the Satellite signal can go in and out -- go figure.

Also, because most of the Cable TV lines are with Elec. lines, when they went
    down they were Down & out and many Cable customers had to wait Weeks before
    service was returned.

We use Direct TV and whenever I call (sometimes they'll do an update on services and miss us for some reason) they are Very courteous and have always helped us.

Satellite (Direct TV) has gone out for a few minutes or longer maybe 3 or 4 times
    since we got it 3 years ago.

Hope this helps

Donna I am sorry you came across my weak content giberish pages
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Token "Canadian" Cool Guy Ryan@MB's Avatar
    I am very big supporter of satellite... I had one for a few years and the picture quality is great and there is always something on.
    Ryan MacWha
    Merchant Manager
    [b]We’ll help you build your affiliate program[/b]
    [b][URL="http://www.maxbounty.com"]MaxBounty 2.0[/URL][/b]

I have had Direct TV for a few years now with no regrets. Only outages have been during severe down pours and even those were only for a few minutes.

When I had cable, I did have more outages and of longer duration. Usually those were due to someone somewhere cutting a line. Grrrr

Either one beats regular tv hands down. Talk to folks in your area as their experiences will be closer to your own.

www.dslreports.com

they have sections for cable and sat providers

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    My satellite tv site answers all these questions...

But then again, I'm pretty biased since I built it and they're paying me...

:-)

I used to use Direct TV but recently signed up for Dish because their pricing seemed a little better. Its the same as Direct as far as I can tell although some of the remote/surfing functions aren't as developed as Direct but it just may be the system I have.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

missdonna,

I've had the same experience as you when using the web for research on various commercial products. The web has become so ad-centric that the term "information-superhighway" is almost not appropriate anymore. I found that places like cnet and epinions or even Amazon customer comments provide the best information when looking for reviews on services or products.
    Akiva Bergstrom | akiva@affsolutions.com | 718-871-8286

Affiliate Marketing Solutions by affSolutions - Creator of the Product Showcase Creator™

Managed Programs: EssentialApparel.com (Join) | SportsFanfare.com (Join)

Affiliates: Product Showcase Creator Directory | Merchants: License the Product Showcase Creator™!

Sattelite / cable - pah!

I'd rather have a new shove ha'penny board.

ABW Ambassador
    We recently switched from cable to satellite, even though in past residences we've had Comcast cable, Surewest cable (avoid like the plague), Dish Satellite and DirecTV satellite... So, we've tried everything available to us in our area(s). In the house we've had just over a year, we started w/ cable because Comcast had a good offer & no contract for tv & Internet. Recently, they started jacking up the prices, so we dropped their tv service and went w/ Dish at a much lower rate & have had no problems. We had DVRs through both services and they both have pros and cons as far as recording. Comcast did allow us to keep our Internet service at a discounted price for a few more months while we find something else.
    It's hard to make a suggestion when we don't know what your needs/likes are & what's available in your area. Most tv/phone companies are shady as hell, so like politics, it's finding the lesser of all evils
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I really liked Comcast and the package deal they had, but dropped the cable kept the internet service because of price. Looking into Satellite (direct TV)

Thanks for the reviews given here. I am now leaning more toward DTV

ABW Ambassador
    when deciding between satellite providers (not sure if it's still like this) you have to decide whether you want to own the equipment or not... If you own it and something happens, you have to pay to replace it, but if you're renting it from the company and say lightening strikes the dish (has happened to my soon to be in-laws) they'll replace it for you...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The web has become so ad-centric that the term "information-superhighway" is almost not appropriate anymore.
    Sure it is! There's all kinds of information about where you can buy stuff

As for finding info about satellite vs. cable on the web, granted, it wasn't easy even back when I looked. But there's no real need to have a "content site" for this info, anyway. I pretty much got the info right off the merchant sites, taking care to avoid any obvious hyperbole (like "it's lightning fast!" or "More channels than you could ever watch!"), and looking for specific figures instead. I remember I had to look at several before finding some that got specific. Satellite places were more willing to brag about their specific channel lineups than cable companies, too.

As for my opinion on cable/satellite itself:
    Personally, when I was looking for that kind of info, my own primary concern when choosing was how they handled internet. TV was just an "incidental" that tagged along with the package. But, I did check out the TV offerings of both anyway.

That said, cable said it had the fastest UPload time, whereas satellite only promised fast DOWNloads (but dialup-like uploads). Fast downloads may be nice, but when trying to upload 1/2 a gig or so of data, the upload speed is definitely of paramount importance. So I got cable.

TV-wise, from looking at the satellite offers back when I was pushing that, satellite seemed to have better TV plans, cheaper. Cable has decent channels, too, but they put more of them on the premium tiers than satellite did. But that was a couple years ago, so things may have changed since then. The cable around here hasn't gotten cheaper, but the satellite places may have raised their prices between then and now...

For finding a content site in this area, it's better use terms related to specific questions (like "satellite TV reliability") rather than searching for the general "comparison" keyword. But I wouldn't count on it, either. Satellite and cable has been 0wned by advertisers since forever. Easier to go with the flow and just CLICK THERE and read the merchant sites!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

What have we done? Todays web marketers are imature or masters...
    It has become really difficult to decide whether to click or not, because nobody knows, the link whose title is willing to give us what we are searching for it but where this'll take us mostly give us surprises and there is no doubt about our direction changes into some thing new which we might need some time after or not... and I think time is money for those who make titles and clickers are spending it whith there time and giving web marketters more options on what they make their wordings to confuse more and upcoming web surfers... and the responsibility totally goes to the mlm and click earners who have succeded to use theses professional and powerfull web segments for getting profit for nothing ...
    Last edited by Nasir; April 11th, 2006 at 08:40 PM.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Whatever you do, get a DVR!!!

Here's the MAIN difference between Directv and Dish Network (when your thinking about setting up) -> the angle of the dishes is slightly different.

1) Directv aims higher (and the sat's in space are HighPowered - less interference with atmostpheric conditions, rain, trees, etc)
    2) Dish Network aims slightly lower (not bad if you don't have any trees / obstuctions in your yard)

I've got Directv & love it! Gone threw hurricanes, etc..never a problem! (occationally a flicker on the screen before a storm or during a storm, but only periodically - and I've had Directv for about 4 years)

My brother has Dish Network - no trees in his yard. THE main thing that Dish has over Directv is their pricing...it's cheaper. Also they offer a cool dual-room dvr for free. (I'd have to shell out $$ to upgrade to one of those on directv, and even then it'd only be a single room dvr)

It's all about price, and service. Both are great. Hope this helps with your decision.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread