Question Does Inbound Linking Help?
    I read and article about "google bombing" saying that Inbound links were able to produce high traffic. Is this true?

I saw a competitor's site and found where they had exchanged links, but those reciprocal links were no longer on the competitor's site. So I am guessing there is a time when you have to say, I don't need the link exchanges anymore because the site has "arrived."

I also have no idea if the link exchanges helped that competitor site or not.

Thanks for any help.

I'd say getting inbound links is one of the best things you can do to generate free search engine traffic. It's not easy and links that aren't reciprocated are definitely worth more than reciprocated links. Search engines will most likely rank you higher if you have no outgoing links with tons of inbound links. The real value lies in the power of the sites linking to you. If you've got some well established sites with a good amount of traffic linking to you, you'll do much better. Links from link farms or link pages aren't worth too much anymore. Consider the page where you'd like your link and ask yourself "would an internet user be reading this page?". If the answer is yes, the link is most likely going to help your search ranking.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Is this a link farm and something I should stay away from?

http://www.weboptimizationangel.com/

Is stuff like this bad?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Is this a link farm and something I should stay away from?

http://www.weboptimizationangel.com/

Is stuff like this bad?
    I'd be wary of any service that says they'll increase your search placement. Usually these services will hurt you more than help you, plus you'll lose money paying for the service in the first place.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Inbound links are absolutely critical to the success of a website. That said, link quality can vary greatly. If you steadily get links from quality, related sites this will help your site greatly, however if you trade links with link farms, low-quality directories or other overly artificial methods, you're wating your time and may even hurt yourself.

Ah, remember also that while it's who links to you that helps you, it's who you link to that hurts you, generally speaking. If you link to bad neighborhoods, Google judges you by the company you keep. Quality links and quality content, that's the formula for growth.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

ABW Ambassador
    I'd be wary of any service that says they'll increase your search placement. Usually these services will hurt you more than help you, plus you'll lose money paying for the service in the first place.
    There are many, many SEO services (and individuals) that don't hurt sites at all, and certainly do increase search placement. There's a whole SEO industry, and not everyone is a liar, spammer or snake-oil peddlar.

That site is selling an unknown tool for $199 and making promises that can't be kept - making the site definitely one to pass on.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread