phpbb or vbulletin or ?
    any opinions on the best possible forum software out right now? if money were not an issue, what would you pick? vbulletin isn't very much $, but i'm not sure what the big upside is? phpbb is free, but has been having some security problems i think? is there another option i should consider?

VBulletin is better than phpbb by far.
    if you have a windows server you may want to consider communityserver.org

it seems like vbulletin is the way to go if you're planning to have a forum with some actual usage, and phpbb is more for just "playing around", or for some really light traffic?

You might be interested in the Project Beehive Forum

Here is a review
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

phpbb can handle heavy traffic, but it's very hungry on bandwidth per post/view. I started with phpbb and then bought vBulletin mainly as I was getting fed up with the security holes in phpbb, had my host pull the plug on the server a couple of times as a result until I could fix the problem. They come out with updates to plug them on a very regular basis - which is good on the one hand, but shows how often they occur.

vBulletin is far better security wise and easier to administer, so it's much better than phpbb. The only reason I can think of having phpbb is like me if you're not sure if the community would take off and be worth the effort - it's a free way to see how it goes. You can port phpbb data across later like I did, though there were a few access problems to sort out for the ported members.

I ran phpbb on two sites, one I upgraded, the other I dumped the bulletin board as it never really took off.

Don't forget to take a look at simple machines:
    http://www.simplemachines.org/

I had a quick look at it, and the coding quality appears to be better than most other free/open source php projects.
    <font size="1"><strong>[URL=http://www.thechesszone.com]TheChessZone[/URL]</strong> Chess sets and supplies.<br><strong>[URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=9515]Join our affiliate program[/URL]</strong> Up to 12% commission!

Quote Originally Posted by Zdig
    and phpbb is more for just "playing around", or for some really light traffic
    You may want to have a look at the first ranking on the front page here:

http://www.big-boards.com

Gaia Online
    Number of posts: 590123172
    Number of members: 3581193
    Post per member ratio: 165
    Posts last week: 6901621

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

ABW Ambassador
    Gaia is hardly phpbb. It is so customized that it has almost no relationship to it past it was their starting point. That site really needs to be more accurate. In the top 100 phpbb only appears 5 times, vbulletion by far dominates (and a few listed as phpbb do not really run phpbb).

For starting out either is fine and the transition from phpbb to vbulletin is simple. But i have run numerous forums on both and vbulletin simply handles a load better and needs to be updated less.

Chet

Is communityserver the best bet for asp.net hosting?
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

just wanted to report back on this. i've been using vBulletin for several months now and love it - would recommend it!

ABW Ambassador
    Phpbb support is pretty limited, Ive had isseus there that never go resolved and no help besides a few posts from members which didn't know how to help. I'm hoping version 3 will fix my issues otherwise I will try vb.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Affiliate Manager
    Only vbulletin. They not just have one of the largest commuinty and a lot of mods and hacks. I low it because it is developed with scalability in mind. So when you become popular and need more than one server you can put vbulletin on the cluster or just make a separate MySQL server easily. There are a lot of popular communities using vbulletin.

Another vote for vbulletin. We use 9 licenses for vbulletin and decided years ago it was the best solution out there.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread