http and a telephoto
    The eagle (loxly) has landed....
    I am planning to check on everything I promised everyone I would check on However I moved out of the hotel into an apartment Friday and have been at Costco and Ikea (hours and hours at Ikea) and have been assembling furniture and looking for stuff I need until my stuff comes from NY (in about a month). When I was in Rochester, I could walk into Home Depot and Sam's Club and Lowes and find just what I needed, but the stores out here are WACKED. Seriously. I can't find anything anywhere. I am tempted to fly back east and go shopping!!!!!!! Ask jgoode, I have been b*tching in her ear all weekend, but only from away from home because the damn cell phone has NO SIGNAL at the apartment. ACK. Had I known that, it would have been a deal breaker. I used the phone from the apartment office so didn't think there would be an issue in the apartment. And the agent says "Oh yeah, only Verizon gets any kind of signal and that isn't consistent either". Buggers.

So if you don't hear from me or can't reach me, it isn't my fault! Use Skype....

And don't send me links to buy stuff from your sites This is stuff I need NOW, like a hair dryer and shower curtain hooks and chairs and something to sleep on that isn't a bed that will fit in the car cause I don't want to wait for delivery (hence Ikea for hours) and and and..... gawd, I didn't think I needed so much crap .... (Fighting the urge to go buy a new computer cause an apartment isn't a home without a full sized supercharged desktop with a twenty something inch flatscreen (got 2 of 'em in Rochester and DON'T want to put them on the moving truck... no one understands why... and my daughter doesn't want to give one of them up!!!)

lox
    (no longer homeless i suppose, but unreachable and the laptop is on a chair!)

http and a telephoto
    Oh yeah, the reasons I can't/shouldn't buy a new computer... I have the ones in Rochester, they just aren't HERE and if I spend the money on a computer, I don't have money for furniture and STUFF... Have you moved lately??? damn, stuff is EXPENSIVE.....

Smile
    You didn't tell me buying a computer meant going without curtain hooks!

I moved late last year and spent a fortune in Ikea too.. squeezed everything into the car - just! It was scary driving home with my nose on the windscreen.

I hope to join you some time in your new swanky appartment!

Did you pick up some lime green paint for the bathroom walls?

http and a telephoto
    Lime green clothes hangers

Does anyone know if those cell booster thingys really work? I may head out to a Radio Shack and see if that helps.... I don't talk to people much (shhhhhhhhhhhh, I can hear a couple people shouting that I'm lying) but when I need to talk to people or they need me, the darn phone needs to WORK.....

ABW Ambassador
    I wish I had an Ikea nearby. I remember visits there when I lived in Germany and I know they have some here and more are sprouting up.

"I didn't think I needed so much crap ...."

Adds up. Last place I lived was "overfurnished" and the place before that was a little efficiency in Orlando but the apt complex was nice. Last 3 months some purchases:

TV
    receiver
    speakers
    bar stools
    new leather couch, supposed to come hopefully by the end of the month
    new squat rack and bar, next week
    curtains and rod, wooden hangers, couple of mirrors
    stuff from ebay - beer clock, wall sconces
    kitchen stuff - new silverware, cutlery, cutlery holder, toaster, pots, pans, placemats, over mits, all that kind of stuff
    bathroom all new stuff, shower curtains, bath mats, toothbrush holder, this, that

Still looking for artwork, dresser, nightstand, coffee table, rug to go under that

and more and more, it adds up

edited to add
    my new black leather chair from which i work
    and a shredder

ABW Ambassador
    You're scaring me Deb, I'm considering moving 'cross country!

Why don't you just buy furniture online?

Cell phone boosters do NOT work...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

deb bid on one on ebay 99 cents - the one I had years ago worked
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    You're scaring me Deb, I'm considering moving 'cross country!

Why don't you just buy furniture online?
    'cause I need some things RIGHT NOW, lol. The rest is coming via moving truck and once its all in place, THEN I will buy the rest online
    Last edited by loxly; April 10th, 2006 at 12:43 AM.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    new leather couch, supposed to come hopefully by the end of the month
    Ikea has one I want I need to go on a not so busy day, pick it up, pay for it and then take it to the very busy home delivery counter. Cheaper than ordering and having it shipped online...
    curtains and rod, wooden hangers
    kitchen stuff - new silverware, cutlery, cutlery holder, toaster, pots, pans,
    bathroom all new stuff, shower curtains, bath mats, toothbrush holder, this, that
    Bought ALL that in the last 3 days....Target, Costco and Bed, Bath and Beyond LOVE me....
    Still looking for artwork,
    I can help you with that

Honestly, I thought most of the stuff I could wait for to come from back east, but there is so much that I needed right now that I couldn't wait for... and the decisions about whether to bother moving some of the stuff from back east, like my sofa bed (hard to get through doors, decided to leave it) and my wonderful desk that I love.... it is too freaking big, would have to be dismantled and reassembled and it is easier and smarter to leave it behind It is NOT an easy desk to dismantle and reassemble, lol.

Anyway, will check into cell boosters, I am dying here not being able to call people and knowing my daughter can't reach me if she forgets to use Skype...
    Last edited by loxly; April 10th, 2006 at 12:43 AM.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    deb bid on one on ebay 99 cents - the one I had years ago worked
    Show me what to bid on!!!!

when i bought my house in Dec 2004 - cost me a bloody fortune moving in - all the stuff I didn't have but needed. Still have ton of things on my list - eventually i'll get them - LOL
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

http and a telephoto
    Oh, and for those of you that DO shop at Ikea, what is the most used bookcase set named? Hum??? I spent several hours and Ikea and every time I went into a new area, there was a bookcase or 3 or 5 named......

BILLY!!!!

Yup, I couldn't fit a full sized one in the car, but I *had* to bring one short one home with me..... rofl....

Had to chuckle about that one.... they are my favs, and NOT because of the name.... Off to put that together next, so far have assembled a desk and a chair futon, hopefully the Billy will go together easily and sit quietly behind the desk..... (running and ducking now.... )

ABW Ambassador
    lol, I actually have that bookcase.

Add vacuums to my list above, upright and a Bissell in case i drop something on the carpet.

You know there are cell signal amps that you can buy and place in your apartment to give you signal. However they run in the 500 dollar range

You know there are cell signal amps that you can buy and place in your apartment to give you signal. However they run in the 500 dollar range
    Those kind do work. But the ones they advertise for $30 or so do not... You could also install a leaky coaxial system, but that might be a bit much
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

When I lived in New Mexico we only had cell reception in one corner of our patio SOMETIMES! I tried the thingy that is on a piece of tape and you put it on the back of your cell phone and that barely was a noticable difference.

When I was researching it there were antennaes you could buy that mount on your roof or car that supposedly gave better reception but we moved to Ohio before I broke down and bought any of those.

There were quite a few different types. Don't know what kind off access you have to mounting things outside but might try looking into those.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Point in the right direction!!! I was willing to go out an buy a new computer so I would have a separate one to run Skype on.... a $500 amp is cheaper...

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread