Exclamation Google Supplemental Results
    Over the past several weeks I have had every page that is generated by AE moved into Google's Supplemental Results directory. What this means is those pages are almost never displayed as results on Google, no matter how relevant to the search.

This would not be so abnormal (for Google that is...) except this has happened on all 10 sites on which I am running AE.

Today, I decided to do some digging...and every site listed on C3Scripts.com as an example of AE...has also been relegated to SR!

What's going on?

At first I just assumed that Google was p1ssed off at me because I stopped advertising with them. But for every AE site I can find, the results are the same.

Have I mentioned that I'm not happy with the big G?!

Has anyone else noticed this?

Has anyone been able to dig their way out of SR?

Are other affiliate scripts having the same problem?

David, is this something you are aware of? Can you help?? Please???

I am in no way knocking AE. I am a huge fan of this product and I've been running it on multiple sites for two years. C3 has always had the best support and the best product.

My traffic is down 70% over the past three weeks and sales along with it.

I'm just looking for a reason or a solution....or a big baseball bat for the G-men!

Ideas?

I only have one C3 site, and it has gone all suppemental/

Some may say its just G going after duplicate content, but my site has original content pages, plus I altered the script pages content too.

I think Google has an ultimate agenda against large datafeed aff sites. They dont want to work to index/rank 20,000 page or more sites that bring them no $$$$$.

I have no problem w/them kicking out dup content, but I beleve the clock may be ticking on all large aff. sites, customized or not.

MFA sites operate under a different standard IMO. )

A lot of people are complaining about big doody tho, could just be a glitch...
    Last edited by simcat; April 10th, 2006 at 11:18 PM.

AE and Google supplemental results
    David, could you comment on the "supplemental result" issue? It does appear to be having an effect.

Thanks.

I have noticed an increasing drop in my sales and was at a loss to understand why. Reading this thread I checked the stats on my main site for the first three months of this year against last - unique visitors are down by 44,431. No wonder my sales are down!!

I have to admit that I do not keep up with stats and marketing through sheer lack of time and have no idea what "Google's Supplemental Results directory" is. Would be grateful for more info and how this affects visitors.

How do you find out if your site is on this supplemental directory?

ABW Ambassador
    Do a site:yourdomain.com and check the results. You'll see Supplemental at the end of the url string if it is.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Search G for site:mydomain.com

Pages in the supplemental index will be labelled with "supplemental result" next to them.

This guy's blog show what label looks like when it happens (though he just showed the label and what's to the right if it, not the result itself):
    http://www.jimboykin.com/damned-to-g...ental-results/

Thanks.

OK, so I had 453 results and only the last 6 had supplemental - and they were pages which were no longer there anyway.

SSSOOOO, there must be some other reason for the drop in my visitors

Anybody know/can recommend a good marketeer that is reasonably priced????

For several months, Google has been Supplementalling thin affiliates such as us. Forums such as Webmasterworld have hundreds of threads about this. "Thin" refers to the lack of original content on each page. For a while, some of this supplementalling was in error, and one could write to Google with a special code referring to Matt Cutts' session at SES. I tried this but since it made no change, I concluded that my thin pages were destined to be supplementalled and were not accidental.

It seems that one might have more luck with a single-page site with a hand-written review of a single product than with a data-fed site.

ABW Ambassador
    There are pages on hand-rolled sites with pages that aren't "thin" going supplemental. There are also pages dropping out of the index altogether - again, on small sites that aren't what would be considered "thin affiliate sites".

"Thin" refers to the lack of original content on each page
    My pages all have original content, I write each and every word myself, including product descriptions.

I've come to the conclusion that there are a few major things going on, not just one, with the new infrastructure in place. And as tempting as it is to shove stuff around and work around it, personally I'll hold off and give this time.

My main site also contains mainly original content, but then I've found it is not on the supplemental list. But there must be a reason my visitors are down so much.

!!

Google has been wacking affiliate sites for some time. I've seen several 100+ page sites with 100% original content that have been trashed to Supplemental Results hell.

It looks to me like G is targeting pages with affiliate links in addition to those with datafeed content.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist

It looks to me like G is targeting pages with affiliate links in addition to those with datafeed content.
    I believe this is partially true and for the majority of affilates very true.

BUT pages with affiliate links or datafeed driven pages CAN have staying power in Google IF they have the right mix and amount of incoming links that Google deems quality or authority links. Which is the difficult thing to achieve unless you have some really good link bait
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

really good link bait
    As an old fisherman my question is "What kind of bait are you using"?

It now looks like Google is rebuilding its index of my sites. What had gone all supplemental and then down to practically zero is now way back up, and no longer supplemental.

All's well that ends well, I guess.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread