Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    Confused!
    I found following e-mail traffic in my mailbox this morning. To clarify:
    First Email: Someone (not sure if an affiliate) sends an e-mail a big list of Linkshare merchants requesting link exchange.
    Second Email: Andy sends his message/advertisement to the same list.
    Third Email: Jason of BidSlammer expresses his disgruntlement of Andy's message.

It smells like "creative" spamming on Andy's part, which I really did not expect and found it as a tasteless plug. I hope there is some clear explanation to this.

Here are the e-mail:

Urlinia Stormsoother <urlinia@***.com> Apr 11

We have become members of your affiliate program and have your link on our relevant sites. We would like you to place our relevant link on your site as well please. We are helping your business with your links, a link to our website on yours would help ours even though we are not an affiliate based business. Please add our links to your link page. Thank you, Carl Rickman.

http://www.*****.com/
    http://www.********.com/
    http://www.******.com/
    http://www.*******.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andy Rodriguez <andy@andyrodriguez.com> to Urlinia Apr 11

To: Urlinia Stormsoother <urlinia@***.com> ("to everybody else, of course") ~ MY COMMENT
    Date: Apr 11, 2006 9:11 PM
    Subject: RE: Reciprocal Linking

Hi Urlinia,

We do not participate in link exchanges with our merchants or affiliates. However I will give you an email tip for future reference. Instead of sending emails with all the sensitive names in the “CC” field, you can use the “BCC” field or “Blind Carbon Copy” so that you do not reveal everyone’s email address.

We are Outsourced Program Managers, (OPM’s) and PPC Consultants. We manage the affiliate channel for merchants and we optimize and manage their PPC channels with excellent ROI and results.

Feel free to learn more about us in our partner forum at http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=81 and let me know if we can help you in any way, either managing your program or managing your PPC campaigns. : - )

Have a great day,

Andy Rodriguez
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting Inc.
    Affiliate Program Management and
    Internet Marketing Consultants
    P: 305-412-3512
    C: 305-785-4524
    E: andy@andyrodriguez.com
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor

Join all our affiliate programs today - http://www.andyrodriguez.com/clients.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jason R <bidslammer@****.com> to Andy, Urlinia 12:52 am April 12th

Andy,

Please refrain from sending us your solicitations.
    As an affiliate manager, I'm sure you can think of more professional
    ways to advertise than this. If you are so concerned about
    sharing of emails, why not practice what you preach?
    Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Thank you
    Last edited by Andy Rodriguez; April 12th, 2006 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Removed affiliate URL's

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami B - Uncommon Goods
    I found following e-mail traffic in my mailbox this morning. To clarify:
    First Email: Someone (not sure if an affiliate) sends an e-mail a big list of Linkshare merchants requesting link exchange.
    Second Email: Andy sends his message/advertisement to the same list.
    Third Email: Jason of BidSlammer expresses his disgruntlement of Andy's message.

It smells like "creative" spamming on Andy's part, which I really did not expect and found it as a tasteless plug. I hope there is some clear explanation to this.

Here are the e-mail:
    Sami,

Let me fill in the rest of the email conversation you were not in on, after your last email you received......

Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 9:40 AM
    To: 'V***lsky'; 'Jason R'

Jason,

Our apologies if our “guerrilla” marketing stunt upset you, I know many of the people on that list so it was not meant to advertise…

It was meant more to cause a smile, rarely these days we get a laundry list of emails on a CC list, so when presented with a “gift” we take it graciously…

No offence meant, no need to advertise, we aren’t taking on additional clients : - )

We are marketers though, and we do turn every rock !

Hi Vlad, how are things at Ice? I hear you are rocking over there !

Have a great day!

Andy Rodriguez
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting Inc.
    Affiliate Program Management and
    Internet Marketing Consultants
    P: 305-412-3512
    C: 305-785-4524
    E: andy@andyrodriguez.com
    W: www.andyrodriguez.com
    AIM: AffiliateDoctor

Join all our affiliate programs today - http://www.andyrodriguez.com/clients.html

Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 9:22 AM
    To: Jason R; Andy Rodriguez
    Cc: Urlinia Stormsoother

I am sure Andy didn't mean to (bcc) everyone.

Right Andy?

--

Vladimir (Vlad) Vervelsky
    ICE.com Affiliate Manager
    email: vlad@ice.com
    Tel# 1-800-539-3580 ext 108
    Cell# 514-886-3762

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 12:53 AM
    To: Andy Rodriguez
    Cc: Urlinia Stormsoother
    Subject: Re: Reciprocal Linking

Andy,

Please refrain from sending us your solicitations.
    As an affiliate manager, I'm sure you can think of more professional
    ways to advertise than this. If you are so concerned about
    sharing of emails, why not practice what you preach?
    Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

Thank you

Creative spamming? Maybe interpreted that way... not the intent though. its funny though that 2 days after the seminar we discuss this very scenario and we teach affiliates and mangers not to "cc" every one, use "bcc' instead....and bam, 2 days later there is an opportunity in real life ......

Like I said, I have relationships with many on that large list, many of us on that list recognize the opportunity as well....hey, we are marketers, we are agreesive and we make no excuses..... spamming, no, not really, not meant that way although i see how one took it as such...

** I edited out affiliate URL's since you may not reveal affilaite URL's at ABW .
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Affiliate Manager Sami B - Uncommon Goods's Avatar
    Nice spin you're trying to put on, I still think it was inappropriate and not at all funny. It didn't worth loosing respect over. Why do it, if you're not taking on new clients?

None of the sites in my post had affiliate links in them, so they were not affiliate links in them, you did not need to edit.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sami B - Uncommon Goods
    Nice spin you're trying to put on, I still think it was inappropriate and not at all funny. It didn't worth loosing respect over. Why do it, if you're not taking on new clients?
    Sami,

You are correct and you are entitled to your opinion, we all can't agree on whats funny, appropriate or whatnot....

let me publicly apologize to you for taking up your valuable time by email....

I won't post the 27 replies I recieved to the email, but suffice it to say many found it 1) amusing, 2) educational and 4 merchants on that list, didn't know about "BCC" ...

No harm was done, maybe we introduced a few new merchants to ABW and maybe we can make a small difference in their program....

Again, my apologies to you or to anyone that may have been "bothered" by the "BCC" replie ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

5. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread