Shop.com - UK?
    Does anyone live in the U.S. and affiliate with Shop.com - UK?
    Although I live in the United States, my sites attract a good number of viewers from the UK, Europe, Canada and Australia.

I built a special section for the UK on one of my sites and I promoted
    Shop.com - UK. My "affiliate term" with them will be closing soon and I don't think there will be a renewal.

Has anyone else outside of the UK affiliated with Shop.com - UK?
    I understand that they wanted traffic/customers from the UK only and that is why I created a special section just for promoting products in the UK.

Do webmasters create special sections of their sites to appeal to people from different countries?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Update: after taking the time to notify me of the "termination," a couple of days later they offered me a "new deal" in CJ's Today's Tasks
    "Review offer(s) pending your approval."

Why do they do that?

I usually accept those pending offers. Has any affiliate declined an offer from the Task Box?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I usually accept those pending offers. Has any affiliate declined an offer from the Task Box?
    Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    Frequently
    When do you (in general) accept and when do you reject?

What happens to the relationship if you reject the offer in the box?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I get a lot of offers that I assume are CJ-wide i.e. they just send them out to anyone. It's obvious from the programme that they haven't looked at any of my sites and they are usually nothing to do with my subjects and/or there's no reason I would have to ever consider their programme.

Occasionally and rarely I get a personalized offer where the AM has looked at my site/s and considered how they will fit in or how I could promote them. I usually accept them to start, but don't do anything for a while (2 months +) this alolows me to get over the flattery period and then decide if I really am going to make any effort for them.

Sometimes it's a re-offer or update of terms or just a do-you-still-want-to-partner-with-us. If I haven't done anything since I "joined" I drop it - result is that the relationship ends - except it never really began. My best paying programme is one of these where later on I thought I'll give it another go and then never looked back. Very rarely is "no thanks" a permanent no-thanks.

Thanks for your input, Paul.

Actually I usually accept those deals in the Task box.

I find that often the Merchants have written a new sentence in their long TOS and want me to hunt for it

Shop.com - UK used the Task box in the past to be explicit about their policy to deliver only within the UK. I take note of merchants with such policies (there are more of them).

What I don't understand is why they went to the trouble to depress me with a termination notice in my CJ Inter-mail only to give me a task box deal a few days later? What about the (many) links I had up prior to the #$%^@ termination e-mail? I wonder if they still generate income? Will I have to clear the slate?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Ah, OK, seems I misunderstood - you mean new terms for current active programmes?

I accept them as long as I'm getting sales. Like you said it's usually a change in the TOS somewhere - no I don't bother to read it and find out.

If the terms are unacceptable to me - i.e. they want me to change something. Then I leave it to them to find out if I'm doing it or not, at which point I'll decide whether to change or leave.

This has never happened though, as far as I see, most changes of terms are to do with PPC and bidding policies which I don't do. Guess it gives someone at the merchant a job trawling through and changing the fine print on a regular basis.

The termination/re-instatement thing is just rude, bottom line - are you making money? If sogo with the flow and don't worry.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ward
    Ah, OK, seems I misunderstood - you mean new terms for current active programmes?
    Yes, and not only was I current and active but I created a section of a website special for them (a section that tries to target customers from the UK).

I know that I attract www traffic from
    • The US
    • Canada
    • The UK
    • Australia
    • So if I need to make targeted sections to comply with a "geography only TOS", that's okay

I did that for Shop.com - UK; how do you think I felt when I saw a "termination e-mail" within CJ's inter-mail function after creating something special mainly for them (and for other UK AMs)?

Then I got the new dealie in the Task Box of CJ -- kind of a "welcome back" I guess?

The whole thing just leaves me flat -- they could use a business psychology course
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Rhia, generally a .com hosted in the US might not be considered as prone to get UK-specific traffic as either a co.uk domain or even a .com hosted in the UK. One or the other will get better rankings with UK-specific searches, so I imagine the reasoning could be that more UK customers would be reached.

Just kind of guesswork reasoning on my part as to why a US site would be rejected, but if it's only a section of a .com/US hosted site, it's possible that US customers would order and that they won't be fulfilled.

There are a number of UK-specific merchants, if I were going to try to promote for the UK I'd either take a co.uk domain or some cheap hosting located in that country and try a few merchants out.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread