The recent changes in Gift Services caused us to start searching for a replacement. In looking at various programs, I found many, many gift basket and flower companies had the same photos, descriptions, and prices. These companies included large corporate sites and small mom and pops.

That made me wonder if there is one central distributor for these items. Would anyone happen to know if this is true? And if so, who it is?

Maybe Monsterphil knows? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

bump

Probably because they're all using drop shippers!
    If you have products dropshipped the client/wholesaler provides you with graphics that's why they possibly all look the same.

Thanks, MJ.

Anybody ever use americandropshippers?

Maybe I should set up my own Gift shop and undercut GiftTree.

I checked americandroppshippers out. They want 80 some odd bucks for a list of wholesale dropshippers. I'm not sure what that money buys, except an unseen list, so I'm wary of them.

I'm also not sure it's a dropshipper behind the gift basket biz. All of the prices are exactly the same on the products we want to include on our sites. FTD has most of the same products, and I'm not sure they would use a dropshipper. Maybe I'm wrong. It would be the norm if I were.

ABW Ambassador
    I was just looking at this site: http://www.mydssd.com/main/source.htm
    He has some interesting stuff on how to set up a yahoo store and how to run it. And of course you have to buy the list for around $70. Could it be any worse than being an affiliate?
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I read that, too, Cazzie. It sounds too easy.

ABW Ambassador
    Spongebo...I too have wondered this since we carry many flowers and gift baskets on one of our sites. I always thought that maybe it was the same merchant under a different name just trying to get there tackle the market. I will drop a line to one of our affiliate managers at our top performer and see what he has to say [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Tom Pyles

Thanks, Tom.

ABW Ambassador
    A lot of flower / gift sites carry the same selection because they take orders for the national wireservices like Teleflora and FTD. It is similar to going into you local florist and ordering something to be delivered across the country - it will be out of the wireservices' catalog.

Then you also have the places that set up multiple sites like Gifttree (kings of disappearing cookie).

Thanks, Jimbo. As for Gift Services, maybe they need to open a cookie site, since theirs keep getting smaller!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't think 30oz cookies--buy now before they're 15oz--make that 10--no, make it 1oz would get regular buyers any more excited than WE are when "day" is on the end instead of "oz"...so maybe they'd better NOT open a cookie site after all [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[typos]

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

Hey Spongebob,
    Jimbo's right. Many of the images for flowers and fruit baskets and such are from FTD. But wine baskets come from so many different sources. Fruitbaskets and flowers can be delivered from local florists. FTD and teleflora are just standardizing the industry. Hope that helps

Monstrphil

It clarifies things greatly, Monsterphil.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread