View Poll Results: What Program Do You Use To Work With Datafeeds...???

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excel

19 50.00%
  • OpenOffice

2 5.26%
  • NotePad

3 7.89%
  • Access

1 2.63%
  • Other Program Not Listed

11 28.95%
  • I Never Open Them Manually

1 2.63%
  • MySql

1 2.63%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What Do You Use To Work With Datafeeds
    In other words what do you use to open them and add uniqueness??

If you use a program that is not listed please post and tell us what it is...
    Thanks!

everything (now) goes into mysql.
    Php scripts then map everything to my categories, filter out things, replace words to change the descriptions and may or may not do some other things depending on the sites they go to or what I am listing products for.
    If I want to check the data, especially when I first set up a new feed, I use phpmyadmin to list the data so I can view it or pull out all the categories for mapping, etc and so forth.
    I started with excel, moved up to access, then MSSQL but licensing and hosting costs for MSSQL prompted me to move to MySQL and PHP.
    Loving it and not looking back.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

http and a telephoto
    AddHandler, you might want to edit the poll to add MySql, if you still can. Or I can if you ask me too
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

We download datafeed file from the server and upload them in mySQL database. Then the datafeed is available to display online. I have helped many affiliates to design theri website using merchant datafeed.

loxly - Well if anyone imports directly into MySQL they should answer "I Never Open Them Manually"

Because what I am looking for is the Software programs that people use before importing them to the server or running them through Webmerge.

It would be cooler if this poll was attached to the DATAFEED thread... but I don't know if that is possible or not..?

I am just trying to see if the Software programs are an issue when using the feeds. So we can "maybe" come up with a better datafeed format to accommodate the non-php-MySQL gurus...

I use WebMerge and PHP MySQL... but I open the feeds first and add content and do all the work by hand before I import it into MySQL or run it through Webmerge... I use Excel...

Alot of people add content manually before updating their datafeed sites:::
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=70324 and it seems these sites do better...

And if you vote "Other Program Not Listed" please let us know what program it is so we know what we are dealing with.

Thanks loxly...!
    Last edited by AddHandler; April 15th, 2006 at 02:49 AM.

http and a telephoto
    But you can have MySql on your local machine and use it to manipulate data before loading it to the server.... so it is another software tool, and not just a server based application

And no, I can't add it to the other thread at this point. I could have before you started it, but can't merge them... maybe another mod has the knowledge to do that?

And I use Excel, Open Office can't handle files the same size as Excel and I use a file splitter for the really big ones... to make them manageble chunks.
    Deborah Carney

Well if anyone imports directly into MySQL they should answer "I Never Open Them Manually"
    No they shouldn't, as Loxly said, you can use mysql directly. In addition to phpmyadmin, I too use mysql directly at times.
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

For users of Excel try ASAP Utilities. It's an add-in for Excel and has over 300 functions. My CPA son-in-law tipped me off to it, and it's great.

OK Add::: MySQL

My idea of adding uniqueness doesn't really involve editing the data in the feeds. I do create my own unique category names for all my products, but the product names and descriptions remain virtually the same. As a matter of fact I don't put much emphasis on the descriptions. I mostly focus on the prices and do my best to offer a price comparison between 5 to 20 merchants per product. This is all custom so I really can't say what software I'm using. It's all written in PHP and has been my pet project for the past 2 years.

My pages are fairly unique because I list similar products on each product page. I have a system in place for choosing the best product name and thumbnail from all the merchants offering prices. So the combination of information that I have offers me uniqueness. I have additional services for shoppers like wishlists, reviews and price alerts. The reviews give me some nice unique content to tie to each product and the price alerts provide a useful service for my customers.

What I believe you're doing is changing the product descriptions, names and categories. This can easily be accomplished with a PHP script. You can run the datafeed through a script that does a simple search and replace on each description in order to make it seem more unique. You can loop through the data and use str_replace() to change things around:

Code:
    $description = str_replace("big", "large", $description);
    $description = str_replace("small", "tiny", $description);
    This is definitely a better long term solution because you won't need to manually make these swaps every time you download the feed. Better yet you can save your synonyms in a database and loop through them using only a single str_replace() call.

But when it comes down to it what service are you really offering by changing the wording around? If the shoppers are already aware of the merchant, why not just go to the merchant site? If all you're offering is a slightly varied version of their data there isn't much reason to use your site over the merchant. This is just my opinion, but there are better ways to catch the shoppers' attention and get them to use your site for all their future purchases.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

What Program Do You Use To Work With Datafeeds...???
    These are all the programs that I have used before.

---------------------------
    1 - WebMerge.
    2 - FrontPage
    3 - NotePad
    4 - Excel
    5 - WordPad
    6 - Crimsom Editor
    7 - PHP-MySQL.

Now I mainly use:

1 - PHP-MySQL.
    2 - Crimsom Editor
    3 - Excel
    4 - WordPad
    5 - NotePad
    6 - FrontPage
    7 - WebMerge.

But, don't let those two list make you believe that I have WebMerge at the bottom of my tool programs, just because it winded up at # 7 on that list. WebMerge still my favorite tool to make a website with static pages, and to add some static content to my new PHP pages.

Just in the same way that I have removed all of my FrontPage Server Extensions from my sites, I still use the FrontPage Editor in order to see how my Html Pages may look once they go live on the net.

But fwiw, now that I am getting the hang of it, PHP-MySQL is on top priority for the question of "What Program Do You Use To Work With Datafeeds...???"

Me again.

Perl and MySQL, automated through shell scripts and cron, here. I can't imagine having to touch every single datafeed file. Looking at my logs, my automated scripts have processed 77,368 datafeed files.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I use:
    Note pad and (since my husband bought our new computer without
    realizing he didn't purchase the microsoft excel, access, etc. with it)
    I found a program that's very similar to excel called 602 office suite.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by AddHandler
    In other words what do you use to open them
    hammer and chisle...

(sorry couldn't resist)
    Deborah Carney

I found a neat little free program to manage CSV database files called CSVed.

I dont have Excel, and didnt like OpenOffice.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    I found a neat little free program to manage CSV database files called CSVed.

I dont have Excel, and didnt like OpenOffice.
    Good tip
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    hammer and chisle...

(sorry couldn't resist)
    Did you mean hammer and sickle?!

(sorry, couldn't resist either)

G.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Perl and MySQL, automated through shell scripts and cron, here. I can't imagine having to touch every single datafeed file. Looking at my logs, my automated scripts have processed 77,368 datafeed files.
    I dream of the day I can do this!
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

we use textpipe from datamystic (the standard version, not the pro)

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Then Leeann said:
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    My resonse is:

Me too
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Then Leeann said:

My resonse is:

Me too
    leeann and Rhia7,

Don't make the same mistake that I did on 2003!

just look at this post I made on qball0213 thread "Webmerge - Do you use it?" on October 9th, 2003, 10:49 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    As soon as I figure out how to hide the affiliate links and for example, be able just to show something like (click here to go there) I will buy the program.

So far, I played around with the the free trial and I learned about some features and I think I liked, but I can't figure out how to hide the affiliate links yet.
    I wasted over two years to know what I know by know, just because I didn't want to ask specific questions about datafeeds.

AddHandler opened this thread with the right question: "What Do You Use To Work With Datafeeds"

But, as I have seen on other threads lately, other members have asked a more direct question like:
    Linkshare Datafeed Download Script
    Where to find list of data feeds?
    Is One Giant Table Okay?
    ECT, ECT, ECT......
    So the faster you ask a specific questions about datafeeds, the faster that you will learn about what you want to know.

To hell with formality, newbie status, shyness or whatever. Just ask away!

Worse case, you get 9 answers from [No comment] and the 1 answer you need, so what do you got to lose?

Hey!

By end of last year, even after I have conquer WebMerge, I decided to try the PHP-MySql, because I was tired of waiting for the WebMerge new version, so I started re-reading this thread: Building UNIQUE autoupdating bulletproof datafeed sites that sell. by: Dirk Gardner

And while I will admit that some of the 127 post on those 4 pages might look that they were written on some weird language to those that don't know PHP, all I can say now is that, once you learn some PHP basics, you will discover that Dirk Gardner has really posted the "Holy Grail" or whatever you whant to call it about, NOW WHAT?

Well.........

I like WebMerge, and I will still use WebMerge on some projects, but I no longer need to depend on WebMerge to do most of my datafeeds.

I like GoldenCan, and I will still use GoldenCan on some pages, but I no longer need to depend on GoldenCan to do everything that GoldenCan can do in order to show anything on my pages.

I like the Make A Page feature from Shareasale, but I no longer need to depend on the Make A Page feature from Shareasale, in order to make my own Make me A Page with PHP my way!

SO.... leeann and Rhia7,

This week, buy a book about PHP and MySQL, (less than $50.00) and experiment with the Dirk Gardner scripts codes on this thread: Building UNIQUE autoupdating bulletproof datafeed sites that sell. by: "Dirk Gardner" for a few months, ask questions on ABW if you get stuck, and by this time next year, you two may be able to post this: He was able to do it, so I did it too.

Sal.

Mr. Sal hit the nail right on the head, but I would like to add one thing that might help.

I think I was in the same place as Leeann and Rhia7 about a year ago and I just couldn't make the jump into understanding a new language. I bought all the books, opened and tried to read them, but just couldn't get to the place where I knew what it was I didn't know so I could ask a question. Geno even tried prompting me to ask specific questions, but I wasn't even that far along yet.

I understood HTML and had taught myself that with a mouse in one hand and a book in the other, so I knew it was possible - I was just stuck. Here's what happened that moved me to the next level so I could start "playing" with PHP enough to begin using the manuals.

I installed a WordPress blog and started working with different themes to customize the look. WordPress is so unbelievably easy that even I can do it without my notes from the last time.

Once you look around in the available themes, download and switch to one - then go to the theme editor and choose one of the components, like sidebar - and start playing with reading the PHP script and moving things around to get them where you want them on the sidebar.

You'll start to get a feel for the language and how things are structured within HTML. Once you've successfully moved things around, changed images, reordered your Adsense in between your posts - you'll be able to read through their excellent support section and understand what people are actually talking about. That puts you one step away from being able to ask a specific question that will actually help.

Then you just have to decide which database and what type of pages and you're in the pool, swimming upstream with the rest of us

This reply probably belongs somewhere else so it doesn't derail the topic. By the way - I just downloaded the ASAP utility for Excel based on the recommendation above and I can tell it's going to make my days easier!

I'm just now at the stage where I'm trying to figure out how to shorten up the time it takes to clean all the stupid characters out of the feeds so my WebMerge pages don't have to be redone 10 times while I'm finding them all. All suggestions are welcome.

Mr. Sal & Judi M.,

I'd like to thank you both for your wonderful ideas and encouragement

I like the fact that your proposals are realistic enough for me that I can see myself implementing your ideas.

I might be a but slow and steady wins the race

Your suggestions are very much appreciated.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    ---

experiment with the Dirk Gardner scripts codes on this thread: Building UNIQUE autoupdating bulletproof datafeed sites that sell. by: "Dirk Gardner" for a few months, ask questions on ABW if you get stuck, and by this time next year, you two may be able to post this: He was able to do it, so I did it too.[/color]

Sal.
    Dirk is the way to go!

I just completed (well, very close, couple small tweaks to make) my first datafeed site, using php and mysql. I owe it to Dirk for his excellent posts.

HIs section on modrewrite was probably the best of all. My entire project consists of only a handful of pages, but should be seen by the SE's as many more pages.

If you can wade through some of the other poster's "stuff" in that thread, you'll quickly get to the meat of his scripts, which is worth the time.
    Follow my dog, Maya, and I, as we fumble around the affiliate marketing world: www.MarketingMaya.com
    Recent Project: Cheap Personal Checks (using DigitalQuill)

For those that mentioned above that they use notepad give a look at Notepad++. It's like regular notepad on steroids and free.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast