Question I've Been Indexed. Now what?
    I did a search for my website on Google and to my surprise it was listed. When I search on the subject of my site, it never comes up. I went through all nine pages, 100 sites each, and my site wasn't in any of them (did a find on the search pages).

Does a site get indexed and then placed in its proper category later?

Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    You have to optimize the site and get some inbound links, and then wait a while to come up for searches on search phrases.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate

Does a site get indexed and then placed in its proper category later?
    I've noticed volatility in terms of placement --this can be due to other similar sites coming into the fold etc...
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

You need to do a search for your top 3 keywords. Then take a look at your competitor website. Add keywords in title and meta tags. It will help to create keyword density and your site will get better ranking.
    Burhan Tanweer
    Marketing Manager
    sales/at/awebhosts.com
    [URL=http://www.awebhosts.com]www.awebhosts.com [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    You have to optimize the site and get some inbound links, and then wait a while to come up for searches on search phrases.
    Could you please define "inbound links"?

The latest issue of Revenue: The Performance Marketing Standard Magazine has an article entitled, "Link Swapping is Killing Your Website"

Do inbound links differ from reciprocal links?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Title yes, definitely, but meta tags won't get a site rankings. Inbound links, good internal navigation and using the relevant keywords in page text.

Could you please define "inbound links"?
    Inbound links are those linking to the site.

The latest issue of Revenue: The Performance Marketing Standard Magazine has an article
    That has to be the most useless article I've ever seen about SEO and linking.

Title yes, definitely, but meta tags won't get a site rankings. Inbound links, good internal navigation and using the relevant keywords in page text.

That has to be the most useless article I've ever seen about SEO and linking.
    How often do you think it gets re-indexed after I make changes?

Every 3 or 4 days you will see an updated Google cache, but that assumes your site is getting crawled regularly. The only way to guarantee that is to get more inbound links. If you are in a competitive area, any on-page changes are relatively minor compared to the changes you do off-page. Meaning-- what you do to your site only has a little effect-- it is the off-site links that have the most power these days. Optimally an inbound link will come from a page with the same title and keywords as you are targeting.

and then Google adds to the confusion by switching the file they use for determining their answers constantly. add to that there are many many datacenters responding to requests and their "index" file may be a little different for many of them.

use the command "site:yoursite.com" in the google window (or the other major search engines for that matter) and see how many pages they admit to knowing about. and also see for how many pages they show some of the text from the page.

if no text shows, just a very blank link, that particular page will probably not get visitors from the results of that particular datacenter.

Do you consider links from within one's own site linking back to the index page to be inbound or does one need links from a separate website?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    Do you consider links from within one's own site linking back to the index page to be inbound or does one need links from a separate website?
    Those are considered 'internal' links and they are worth paying attention to as well. Be sure to use the same sort of keyword-rich approach when you link internally-- instead of calling the link "Home", get your main keyword in there-- "Flower Shop Home" etc.

You certainly do need links from other websites; they can be links from other sites you own but you have to take steps to disassociate the two domains (dissimilar or hidden registrar info and hosted on completely separate IP-ranges).

The top 9 pages contain 900 pages, but in any given niche there can be 100,000,000+ competing sites. Indexed is nothing, to climb the rankings you need content and links. The more quantity & quality you have of both, the better you do.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread