Question for the experts.. dupe (sorry)
    First of all, please accept my apologies for a duplicate post - I was in the UPromise forum when I posted this there by mistake (I don't know how to move/delete my own thread yet!). It has nothing to do with UPromise, and is a general question. Once again, sorry, it was an honest mistake.

I'm new to this affiliate work (proud owner of my own site). Posted my first thread last week, received very helpful suggestions from the group. Embarassed to say I knew nothing about cookie stuffing, stolen commissions, etc. but took care of that this week.

I have about 8-10 affiliate links per "section", and cloaked them from top down. Since I didn't think the older sections mattered as much, I didn't convert everything. I've had some success (traffic anyway).. about 1500 visitors/day.

I'm not a programmer, so I hope this question isn't silly, but I noticed something unusual with my site stats. Today.. a "visitor" to the site went straight to one of the last few unprotected sections. And left (all within seconds). Now I'm trying not to become a conspiracy theorist, but it's an unusual pattern (ie. nothing in my site would prompt a normal reader there so quickly). Is it possible that sites are "patrolled" for exposed links (for lack of a better word)...? And could my site be targeted specifically somehow..? I had 200-300 unprotected links for almost 2 months (sigh).

Thanks, and appreciate all the posts from everyone.. if this is a silly question, sincere apologies, I'm new & trying to learn!

I'm not sure if this is the exactly right answer or not, but visitors haven't arrived necessarily by index pages for years. Long time ago the major search engines started presenting any page of your site that they thought relevant. So any page is fair game. The visitor may not have thought the page relevent to their needs, however, so they cut out quickly.

There are many running search robots also, so your visitors may not be humans.

I (personally) don't know what cloaking is, unless you mean you've somehow encrypted your links.

Thanks for the quick response! The "visitor" went from my main page TO the unprotected page, which is why I noticed it (I happily accept whatever page the search engine gives readers). So it was page to page.. which was odd as no reader would have found that quickly.

For cloaking links, I subscribed to Linkshield (as a temp measure while I figure out how to best hide my affiliate id). Again, being new to this, I've had plenty to read up on!

Short of installing spyware on a test machine myself, is there anyway to see if my site has been targeted (or redirected.. or whatever the proper term is)..?

oops, one more thing.. the "visitor" came direct (no referring URL)... main page to unprotected page, then exit... it seems like a search robot, but the pattern to an unprotected page made me wonder...

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    bots, your own editing, isp maintenance, backup routines, cron jobs, spiders, people who drink and browse, persnickity o/s glitches, typos, twitchy finger syndrome, ...

i wouldn't worry about a weird lone visitor's tracks through your site - there's far too many normal / usual / persistent things that can cause seemingly unexplained log entries... look for macro problems (like short customer dwell time), then delve into micro details to find answers. Genrally looking for "weird" things starting at the micro level, you'll spend your days thinking you're seeing something that you're not.

Forest v tree thing.

Thanks.. and I totally agree! Only reason it caught my eye was it was the last "unprotected" section, that's all.. I was curious if there were bots that patrol for exposed affiliate links.

As a newbie, it's hard not to get caught up in the parasite discussions.. it's a tough concept to wrap your mind around. First of all, why would someone do it (ok, that's naive), and second, how it is technically possible...

I spent many many hours building an original site, with my own content, seeing the traffic grow (esp those wonderful return visitors!); it was just disheartening to realize someone could redirect my links. But this forum has been VERY helpful, highly recommend all newbies go for a full read!

>>>someone could redirect my links<<<

chances are you'd never know it; it would happen in the visitor's browser (or something like that.)

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread