ABW Ambassador
    It is beginning to concern me. I can't afford this type of cut right now. I need to be racking in the money for the next four months for this freakin down payment. I think maybe the lose in google ranking has something to do with it. However, it just started on Thursday to show. I guess it's time to crank out some more sites and tap into some new markets. :eek: :rolleyes:

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: JadaKiss ]

ABW Ambassador
    Google screwed me up big time. no traffic=no clicks=no sales=no commissions [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Let's just pray it corrects itself next month. It screwed us big time fa sure!!!

ABW Ambassador
    I can't offer much other than sharing in the misery... although I saw the downturn much earlier than the last google index (Dec 23 to be exact). Sales bite across the various networks. Not that I have zero sales (although yesterday it was zero in CJ), just that at this rate, I'm not making a living of any sort. I've got plenty of traffic, but they're mostly lookers, not buyers.

I keep expecting all those rotten little office-workers to get back in buying mode, but for me, it's not happening.

What am I doing writing email here???? I should be building more pages.

Jada BigChuck and Cedric, don't panic!
    I'm sure to will work out.
    As for Google one of my sites receives zilch from Google (an experiment)and it still manages between 1000 and 1500 uniques per day and brings in a couple of grand a month.
    What I'm trying to say is google isn't the be all and end all.
    I had one day this month where everyone was looking, sure enough the next couple of days they were back buying, so hang in there [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As for Google one of my sites receives zilch from Google (an experiment)and it still manages between 1000 and 1500 uniques per day and brings in a couple of grand a month (you got to be kidding right? How do you people do this!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's enough to make me sick - lol!

ABW Ambassador
    MouseJockey - how in the world do you get 1,000 uniques a day - sh*t, I'm making several thousand a month now with just about 100-200 uniques a day on all my sites. But if I could get 1,000 uniques a day, man, I'd be super rich. LOL!!! Any tips for traffic?? I'm to the point where I'm thinking about outsourcing my search engine advertising campaigns to a professional. I need to build traffic. I have alot of really good sites that are in yahoo and google but some get 100-200 and some hardly zilch when yahoo decides to flips it's freaking search algo, I'd be lucky to get 40 uniques on some sits. I want at least 200 uniques across the board - 400 would be great.

ABW Ambassador
    Before Google pulled its stunt I was getting about 400-500 a day with the coupon site, and around 60-80 a day with the other site.

As an experiment I didn't submit this particular site to search engines, no ppc, nothing.
    I've always been curious about this as I've heard some SEO's say it's better not to submit, let them, people & se's find you if you have the patience.
    I started this particular site in Jan 2001 by July/August 2001 it was getting around 300, now every day it breaks it's own record.
    SE's wouldn't give it 1% of it's traffic the rest, bookmarks and I guess word of mouth.

Sometimes I can tell, I'll sell a particular product, then the next day there'll be a run on the same product as if someone bought something and told their mates.
    Very interesting to watch.
    I started another site, about 2 months after submitted it to all the engines did all the right things and it would be lucky to bring in 200 uniques a day, but it makes more money then any of the other sites, only because I'm selling one product to a targeted audience.
    A couple of years ago,does anyone remember Black November? Alta dropped everyones site...it was a nightmare.
    When that happened I thought I'd build a site and try what the SEO's were saying...
    and it's working, but you need to be really patient.
    re: Black November.
    A couple of years ago, when alta was "the" engine, it had one mighty hiccup and lost the database or something, consequently marketers were going crazy for a couple of weeks, because we all depended on alta for traffic.
    It taught me a valuable lesson.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: mousejockey ]

ABW Ambassador
    mousejockey -- thanks for the encouragement, but I know google isn't the be-all end-all...lol... I have GREAT google listings... and they do generate the traffic... but these people just aren't buying.

ABW Ambassador
    I agree Cedric - This is the second time I lost my google rankings. The first was in October and without my Google listings, I still ended up making a huge record breaking high for that month. Gained them all back in November only to lose them again in December. The first time it was my host fault. But this time - it's definantly googles faults - my sites are showing 0 links. Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

Even with the PPC's and other engines I'm still not doing much, I'm desperately wanting to believe that it's just slow right now.

I've had just 1569 uniques today, but with CJ's tracking hosing me, I guess I have to depend on OnResponse, CPAbank, and a few others to tide me over.

The loss of my one site in google is hurting a little too.

I also have a big site that gets me through the rough times google or not. I can tell you that general traffic is down at all of my sites even the ones that are still in google. A big part of it is the time of year. A lot of people overspent (that is how they see it) for the holidays and are now in the phase where they are cutting back on spending. Things will bottom out soon, and then they will start to slowly climb back up. January and February are traditionally my worst months. Work on products and programs that are targeted towards saving money or as someone else here mentioned excise equipment.

[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: malibber ]

We've been 'sort of' concerned about slow sales, but they've seem to have bounced back in the last couple of days, even today (Saturday) which is usually our slowest day of the week we're doing o.k. Amazon is still our best program. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

As an aside: I finally got around to looking at the Invalid Links report that CJ provides, and one of our 'feature' merchants on one of our sites was listed all over the place with the Not Joined indicator... haven't a clue why. Joined up, and in the last three days alone have had eight relatively large commissions from them. We launched this site back in November, so your guess on how much we've missed is as good as mine, especially over the Xmas buying season.

CodeJockey.

ABW Ambassador
    Post holiday slowdowns seem to be the norm. I will see a drop in sales at our product sites (same traffic), and our content sites remain pretty level with traffic, but our advertising banners see less click-throughs. Many other industries suffer just after the holidays, such as radio and television...I'd hang in there and let it take its course...

Tom Pyles

Still real slow here also Jada and all. I managed to keep my 2 best links in google but for whatever reason the sales link is not producing this month so far. I lost my Plus Size listings in google but it was picked up in another search engine. Thats not producing any sales either. Clicks and traffic is pretty much the same. Beats me whats going on. I really think this week things will pick up a little. I know I am still burnt out from the Holidays and I think alot of others are. Daily routines are just starting to get back to normal now that New Years is over.

Our cash cow site got axed this month by Google, and I was worried about income, but two other sites have nearly doubled in traffic and sales are doubled, too, making up for the site that got booted. I've decided there is no rhyme or reason to any of this.

ABW Ambassador
    Packy,

I hope your right. I know my kids at my Evil Petting Zoo don't go back to school until tomorrow. I Can't wait. Hopefully, we will see sales return. I have had just one sale on my site since the middle of December. I am beginning to start looking at my pages to see if there is anything that I can do to try and squeeze that credit card number from my shoppers and turn them into buyers.

Mike

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Dr. Evil ]

Well, I guess this is a dumb question since you are all professional at this but everyone IS tweaking Valentines sites and merchandise right now, Right? Or is it already too late? That should rack some sales up.

And, what about Easter? Not far off.
    Shouldn't everyone be getting spring sites ready now? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] How much lead time do you allow?

For right now, aren't people going to be feeling the pinch of those Christmas excesses and heating bills? I would think credit cards and loans would be big now. Or, anything to cut costs and save money.

Am I wrong about this?

Is it too late to jump on that?

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>How much lead time do you allow?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I allow enough time to get in whichever Google cycle will get me listed a minimum of three weeks prior to the "event / holiday"... yep, Valentine's Day stuff was done for this last index. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Think your right Ssanf, I've started working on St.Patrick too!

Before the holidays I tweaked some text, Google ranking soared, traffic doubled, sales went down. I also moved merchants with high click-thrus/no sales (who support WhenU, BTW) to the bottom of some pages or remove them entirely. The sales have been coming from some of the smaller sites. Now that traffic has slowed the sales are up. I must agree that people look around and return later to buy. Just wish for longer cookie duration from some of my merchants.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm starting to no longer showcase any merchants with simple URLs with cookies set under 10 days. The Dell.com Buy.com Staples.com Walmart.com sites all just gather in bookmarks negating future commissions. Sure hope the slowdown in sales effects TopText/Ezula ShopNow/Whenu and the wanks at Gator. Serve them all right just like an unannounced DOS attack on their servers. That sure would make their unsuspecting clients slow their browsers down to a 9600 baud crawl.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread