I have a merchant that extends every single transaction. The problem is that the only reason they do it (no matter what they say) is to delay payments. Are they allowed to do it?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes
    Some do extend everything. Especially clothes merchants that have a lot of returns. Other I guess do it to hold onto your money longer - extra month of interest I guess.

They can only extend once mind, not indefinitely. I've also read somewhere that the commission is still deducted from the merchant's account (just not paid out to the affiliate), which would suggest that the merchant doesn't get any cashflow benefit. Perhaps someone could confirm or deny that?

I believe the main reason for automatic extensions is to take account of things like 30-day return policies.

Most of our merchants that extend all sales for 30 days have the risk-free return period, thus they want to cover themselves to avoid overpaying an affiliate.

My experience (with a couple of exceptions) is that most of the extensions end up as completed sales, and get paid the following month. There are a couple of merchants that shall remain nameless in this thread, however, the reverse lots of orders, extend everything else, and reverse most of those too the following month. However, these are the exceptions, not the norm for the merchants we're working with that extend. Most make good on payments once they know the merchandise hasn't been returned.

Well, this particular merchant extends all transactions within 24 hours of the original transaction. Then within the next 7 days it reverses fraudulent transactions, returns, etc (not many reversed transactions). If the transaction is not reversed within the 7 days, it will be accepted, but only after the extension period is over.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread