Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Best way to reply to CJ declined app
    Hi,

CJ newbie here. I am a new member of CJ, but have been approved by many quality merchants. However there are a few that I need to have on our site, but have been sent the standard cookie cutter decline though the CJ mail system. Unlike Linkshare, I have no easy way of finding out who the contact person is for a particular merchant for the affiliate program. I think by doing a ton of reading here that replying through the CJ mail system to try to get approved would be an excercise in futility. Can anyone tell me of an alternative way to find out the contact info of the person at a merchant that handles the affliates, other than calling the merchant directly?

Thank you,

Bill Hammer

ABW Ambassador
    Are you located in the U.S. or Canada?

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I am in the U.S. and these are U.S. merchants, as I realize that many declines are for out of country reasons.

Why wouldn't you call if you need the merchant so bad?
    Better chance of getting approved if you take the time out to give them a call and explain how you are going to use them and who you are going to target.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Internet Cowboy
    I was recently turned down by a program that is managed by CJ and was told by my rep that they are only accepting "loyalty sites" into the program. So you might need a BHO to get in, depending on who it is.

direct email is the best way I know of. Far to many programs let the aps pile up then they just decline everything. Start by asking why you were declined and you may find that they will accept you. If accepted you have to wonder how well the manage it in the first place

Hi BHammer, and All,

I was going to say the best way to reply is don't... But since this seems to be really important to you might try the other suggestions.

You also might try doing a search for the type of products that you want to sell and see if they have a in house affiliate program... Or join other some of the other Affiliate Programs like linkshare, sharasale and others to fill your need for certain products... That's what I do anyway... I haven't received very good of results trying to contact the Merchants; some times they just don't answer... Seems like a waste of time to me; I could be wrong though?

Love You,
    HumbleFish

ABW Ambassador
    Sometimes I just hit reply to those and ask why and get approved. And most of the time the email for the affiliate manager is right in the merchant detail page.

Affiliate Manager
    BHammer,

I'm always impressed with affiliates that come back to me after I've declined their application. Any affiliate who makes the effort to contact me and explain their situation, and to ask questions, is worth a second evaluation.

If all you can find is a phone number, I say go for it.

Bryce
    1-800 CONTACTS

Never been in your situation, but I would definitely say why not? What have you got to lose?

Talking
    I was declined a couple months ago for a new program at CJ. The funny thing was, I was doing well with a sister program run by the same merchant.

I just re-applied 2 days later and got accepted! Has turned out great so-far.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I had three high traffic classic & Musclecar site clients who wanted me to add in some classified Ad and finance/insurance links on their pages as self service fillers. Got tuened down by cars.com so I replied back they could stick it. Approached directly the top 2 Musclecar and Hotrod lassified sites and they PAID 2500.00 each to be on those pages. Then went to a speciality car insurance company, and one doing vintage and Musclecar financing, who jumped at paying a slotting fee.

Those CJ merchants not wanting real targeted traffic from legit on-page pre-sell can eat my shorts. Every turn down just fires me up to look outside the Adwhore network mindsets and approach real merchants not encumbered with cookie cannon sheisters. That earns me money now and makes clients happy too.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Bill,

I second what Bryce said. If an affiliate goes out of their way to ask in to our programs I will accept even if their site has zero traffic.

Feel free to list the merchants here. They might be watching the forums, I do monthly searches in case I missed something. Also, if I have the merchant contact info I will PM you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce
    BHammer,

I'm always impressed with affiliates that come back to me after I've declined their application. Any affiliate who makes the effort to contact me and explain their situation, and to ask questions, is worth a second evaluation.

If all you can find is a phone number, I say go for it.

Bryce
    1-800 CONTACTS
    Hmmm?... Maybe I've been to hasty and should give it another try... There are some merchants that I'd like to have on my site that have turned me down... Thanks for the inspiration.

I found the same thing. If I get the "declined" e-mail, I just shoot back a simple, "Why were we declined?" and the merchant usually responds with the reason or revaluates the website. It at least opens up a dialogue.

A lot of merchants have things on auto-decline (seems silly to me).

Wow, this place is amazing. Thanks for all the great suggestions. This really opens my eyes and gives me another outlook on affiliate programs.

Chuck, 4 out of your 5 companies accepted my site as an affiliate, and after a simple email to you, I received a quick reply and you offered acceptance into the final company program. I'm sure all the affiliates already know that every merchant should have a person like you running their program. The advertisers/merchants I am trying to contact are eBay, eBay Stores, Home Depot, REI, Gap and Vonage.

Thanks again everyone for all the help.

Bill Hammer

ABW Ambassador
    ebay - affiliates at ebay.com
    Home Depot - maggie_tucker at homedepot.com
    REI - affiliates at rei.com
    Gap - affiliates at gap.com
    Vonage - don't know

TrustNo1, thank you very much for the prompt reply. It's funny about the affiliates@xxx.com emails, I guessed that, so just sent messages out to those email addresses. It always helps to have a specific name though, and the Home Depot one fits the bill.

Thanks again,

Bill Hammer

Home Depot
    Thanks for the contact info. This is great cooperation amongst publishers.
    There is plenty of room for all of us to perform.

Trust, is this email still valid or do you have an updated contact email?

ABW Ambassador
    Just checked CJ and it's the same one. maggie_tucker at homedepot.com

Also checking the newsletter from them:

thehomedepot @ cj.com

But I would use both if sending off an email to them.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I have gone out of my way to have all the ways to contact me in my auto replies. I was spending an hour a day on reviewing sites that weren't going to get accepted to my program. I changed my filters and updated my decline reply email. Now I may get one person a week who comes back after a decline and they have a 99% chance of me taking them because they showed the interest.

On the other hand, CJ, I am having a pissing match with your tech department about being able to find a declined affiliate even when I have their CID/PID. It is very frustrating to have a tool that doesn't work. I end up telling the affiliate to mail me through the system which I check daily and then I can pick up their profile. Very frustrating to not find someone when they HAVE applied to my program.

I will say that I go back routinely and look at rejected applications to see if a site is now live or has something to offer!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Best way to reply to CJ declined app
    Personally I like to "reply" by sticking links to their competitors up all over the place.

The couple times I did email and ask wtf, these were the results: Merchant 1 said my site "wasn't live..." turns out there had just been a 20-minute hiccup at the host (I had shared hosting at the time). BAH what a... he at least could have checked again in an hour, huh?!
    In any case, that program turned out to be a nitpicky, empl*yer-like one, and I ended up dropping them after a few months (when they tried to dictate exactly which banners to show and when ["show this one for 2 weeks, then we'll give you different ones, which must be put up the day they come out!"], that did it!).

Merchant2 was just a general idiot and said that my site didn't match their "business model." It was a clothing merchant. I don't know just what it is that they considered a match, in fact they wouldn't say even when questioned further(!), other than to say that malls aren't it. Needless to say, I only wanted one thing from them after that, and that's to see their Program Closed notice...the clueless jerks!

Since then I don't bother contacting any decliners, and always respond by adding links to competing sites.

If I am still interested in a CJ merchant who declined me (the same theory can be applied to a merchant from any other network) I will write an e-mail to the merchant through CJ's "mail interface."
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Affiliate Manager
    The only time I usually have issues with getting accepted is when the affiliate program is managed by a newbie AM on a power trip. One time I replied to a decline email asking why and I got "because your site is an affiliate marketing site."

and I got "because your site is an affiliate marketing site."
    It's CJ, so maybe that newbie AM only wanted "publisher sites"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast