Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Question Table width in percent instead of pixel...
    I need to set a table width to 100% instead of a set pixel width but I can't get it to work. WebMerge gives me an error message.

For example...

I currently have this and it works fine:
    [WM-RECORD cols=3 CELLPADDING=10 width=550]

I need to change it to something like this:
    [WM-RECORD cols=3 CELLPADDING=10 width=100%]

But that doesn't work.

How do I use percents for width in WebMerge?

TIA!
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Hi Michelle,

I've never found a way to do this either, I'd much prefer things to be in %'s for table width and cell width. Usually what I do if its really important is do a massive search and replace on all the webmerged files to change those to what I want them after webmerge generates the pages.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

You could use a html editor (Arachnophilia works, get the old one though, not the java driven one) to replace all the 550s with 100%s on all pages all at once.

Here's a link: http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index_old.html ... Just open up all the pages in the prog and then use ctrl+f and a find and replace feature will pop-up- it's a very simple prog.

Love You,
    HumbleFish

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleFish
    You could use a html editor (Arachnophilia works, get the old one though, not the java driven one) to replace all the 550s with 100%s on all pages all at once.

Here's a link: http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index_old.html ... Just open up all the pages in the prog and then use ctrl+f and a find and replace feature will pop-up- it's a very simple prog.

Love You,
    HumbleFish
    Great idea, thanks, HumbleFish
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I use notetab Pro for the search and replace purpose.

http://www.notetab.com/
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Thanks!

I have edit plus and can do that search and replace with that too.

I was just hoping there was a way to code it into my template.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

Affiliate Manager
    Two things are in the works to deal with this in the future: WebMerge itself will be able to accept "%" as part of the width attribute so you can have relative spacing. I'm also looking into making a new text editor specifically designed for the sorts of things you folks are doing.

More on both as the come together....
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Notepad's Replace feature does the search and replace function very well. No need to get some other editor. Wordpad has the same feature as well. With all the different screen resolutions that users are using, you need to have relative spacing for your site to look good on all monitors.

Gene
    TCS

Quote Originally Posted by thecool
    Notepad's Replace feature does the search and replace function very well. No need to get some other editor. Wordpad has the same feature as well. With all the different screen resolutions that users are using, you need to have relative spacing for your site to look good on all monitors.

Gene
    TCS
    Hi thecool, can you do search and replace on multiple pages at once with Notepad and Wordpad?

Rhia7, You're welcome!

Humblefish,

To answer your question, yes and no.

I believe the question that Michelle posed was pertaining to editing data from a data feed. Correct me if I am wrong.

I have been using Notepad and or Wordpad extensively to edit html mutltiple pages of data when copied to the same notepad. I also but rarely use Texpad.

I would never use an editor to simultaneouly edit multiple different web site pages. There are too many varibles that can go wrong and adversely affect some parameter that was not intended to be edited. I speak from experience.

I do not use webmerge although I have in the past. Most of my datafeed experience is with the SAS pagemaker and Akiva's PSC. I can generate multiple product pages, copy them to Notepad or Wordpad and edit them with the Replace feature all at one time. Works beautifully and efficently. I can add, replace, and or remove data as needed. I do all my editing before pasting the data into my web pages. I want to see the results before publishing the pages to the server or web site.

For my purposes the answer is a resounding YES. For others, maybe no.

Gene
    TCS

No they're not talking data feeds: they're talking about the pages that webmerge makes with the data feeds... And with Arachnoid you can open all the pages in a file at ounce (use ctrl+a to select all the files) and make changes to multiple pages at once... I've made changes on around a hundred pages at a time... You might want to give it a try; it's free!

Get the old one, it's better than the new one... Here's the location of the old one here at: http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index_old.html
    Last edited by HumbleFish; April 19th, 2006 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling, wording

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    Two things are in the works to deal with this in the future: WebMerge itself will be able to accept "%" as part of the width attribute so you can have relative spacing. I'm also looking into making a new text editor specifically designed for the sorts of things you folks are doing.

More on both as the come together....
    Sorry to bump a year old thread but......

Is there anything new on this? Since all of my sites have a liquid design it is imperative that I use variable width tables. I'm currently using Arachnophilia to perform a search and replace and it works great. However, I now have over 40 feeds on several sites and this process is getting somewhat cumbersome as it totally breaks the automation of WebMerge.

Please tell me that this feature is coming soon.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager
    This will be part of v2.5, which I'm working on right now. I use a lot of reflowing layouts myself, so I appreciate the importance of this addition.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    This will be part of v2.5, which I'm working on right now. I use a lot of reflowing layouts myself, so I appreciate the importance of this addition.
    Do you have a time frame or need a tester?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread