Lightbulb in-house datafeeds . . .
    can anyone tell me what modifications are necessary to take a LS merchant's in-house datafeed and convert it to something that will track?

maybe if I see the definitive "simple" linking method (including graphic link with tracking) I'll get the hang of it.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Herb,
    There are three ways to get LinkShare links:
    1. Merchandiser - Feed ready to be used
    2. LinkBuilder Browse - you will still have to work with it... some manual process.
    3. Affiliate Interface - Manual process

The best way to do this is to make sure the merchant offering the feed is LinkBuilder enable. To view this information:
    -- Go to the Affiliate Interface
    -- Select Create Links
    -- Chose a merchant from the dropdown menu
    -- If the merchant offers feeds, you will see Individual Product link in the Link Types box on the left
    -- Click on the link above the search box that reads "Click here if you are an advanced user."
    -- Then click on "Advanced Users Only." This will take you to the merchant's site where you can browse in the file with the URLs.

A few things to keep in mind:
    -- File naming convention cannot have spaces.
    -- The file can only contain the Product URL, each on its own detail line.

Hope this is what you are looking for!

Ranae

Sometimes it varies from merchant to merchant, too. Check with the individual merchant(s) to see what they recommend.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I asked one for a link to their feed and they gave me one that has no reference to LS on it anywhere. If they were an Indy I'd have no problem with it.

can't afford the cost of getting the feeds via LS yet.

Well, I'll go dig around again

========

and did. somehow I have the feeling that some time in the near future we're going to get some new linking methods from some of the merchants.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    Isomehow I have the feeling that some time in the near future we're going to get some new linking methods from some of the merchants.
    That might be good
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Herb,
    Did you get your data feed sorted out. If you still need help to download or upload data in your database, please let us know. We will help you.
    Burhan Tanweer
    Marketing Manager
    sales/at/awebhosts.com
    [URL=http://www.awebhosts.com]www.awebhosts.com [/URL]

I'm able to build pages using WebMerge where the datafeed file is designed to fit the reporting needs of the network, but I can't do anything in the case of a merchant that sends me to their file and it has nothing relating to the specific needs of LinkShare. I need more than their sku's in that case . . .

I have no problem building pages for Indies or for those in Shareasale.

I was hoping there was a way around the necessity for showing a number like 33333.12219943 for each product, but I guess I'll have to wait until I can afford the feeds or this particular merchant takes pity on me and coughs up the right one.

pity, because I have three separate and relevant domains that can present their stuff.

nice to get an offer, though, and thank you.

I was referred to LinkShare's pay-to-play Merchandiser program today. I had asked a merchant if they offered a feed and they were very helpful, sending me the relevant links to the Merchandiser program.

The fee on the Merchandiser program, however, really annoyed me - one more nail in the coffin as far as my business with LinkShare goes.

If the merchant pays LinkShare to provide me with marketing tools, and I pay LinkShare for access to those marketing tools, isn't somebody getting screwed?

Publishers already go out on a limb with CPA advertising, don't expect us to plant and grow the tree too...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

I have approached merchants directly for their datafeed outside LS, and all were more than willing to let me have it. They either send it via email (needs reminders) or I get access via FPT (preferred). All I have to do is find/replace a set of XXXXXX within the link code to my LS link code (NOT your LS ID but the code that identifies you in the actual link), easily done in Excel. Being a bit paranoid I checked tracking with all feeds, all worked just fine.
    The only drawback is that they usually do not have the tracking pixel, but I can live without.
    I have not (yet) spent a single cent for feeds, ever.
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Hi LearnAbout,

I am glad to know that you have received datafeed directly from LS merchants. I have also approached couple of LS merchnats (1800Flowers and FTD) to receive their datafeed but they have sent me an email that it can only be available through LS merchandiser.

Does anyone get datafeed from these merchants? Is it possible to list the merchants that provide datafeed directly to their affiliates except Overstock.

I would likt to sell theri products using datafeed. I do not want to spend a single cent for feeds.
    Burhan Tanweer
    Marketing Manager
    sales/at/awebhosts.com
    [URL=http://www.awebhosts.com]www.awebhosts.com [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by csearch
    Hi LearnAbout,

I am glad to know that you have received datafeed directly from LS merchants. I have also approached couple of LS merchnats (1800Flowers and FTD) to receive their datafeed but they have sent me an email that it can only be available through LS merchandiser.

Does anyone get datafeed from these merchants? Is it possible to list the merchants that provide datafeed directly to their affiliates except Overstock.

I would likt to sell theri products using datafeed. I do not want to spend a single cent for feeds.
    Unfortunately, my guess is that listing those merchants would only get them in trouble with LS...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Cool progress?
    >>>(NOT your LS ID but the code that identifies you in the actual link)<<<

and that shows where? this is a new one on me . . .

interestinger and interestinger . . .

Hi Herb,

your LS ID is a 5-7 digit number like 123987 or such. For reasons only known to LS you cannot get it from your accounts page. You can find it by going to your 'Sales and Activity Report'. Below the table is a link 'DOWNLOAD THIS REPORT'. Hover (not click!) your cursor over the link and and look at the status bar at the bottom of your browser, you should see something like ht.tp://areport.linksynergy.com/...download_report.shtml?name=activitygrid&id=1234567&nid=1&orderby=mname. The 1234567 is your LS ID. [I know it's difficult to find, buy hey, it's LS] Knowing the number is helpful if you communicate with your LS merchants, especially bigger ones.

Your link ID is within the i.e. product link: <a href="ht.tp://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=XXXXXXXX&offerid=12345.98765&type=2&subid=0" > where XXXXXXX is some cryptic mix of numbers, letters and asterixes, something like a3*sfgr*SDF.

So, if you do a find/replace in the datafeed you have to replace the placeholders in the feed with the cryptic code, NOT the 5-7 digit number.

Did I succeed in totally confusing you?

Cheers, Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Unfortunately, my guess is that listing those merchants would only get them in trouble with LS...

Spot on, that's why I'm not mentioning them here. Pls contact your merchants, tell them what you can do for them and see if they can do something in return for you.

@Frank:

of course, but on first read. I'm going to print your answer out and tack it to the wall and bang my head against it until it sinks in!

gotta study it for a while . . . questions may follow by IM if you don't mind . . . and thank you.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread