Problems with Windows Security Update
    I'm not sure if anyone else is having this problem, but Windows Update automatically installed a security update on my computer overnight and today every time I tried to open a web page with the IE Open Dialog, it locked up the browser. I tried disabling all Add-Ins, upgrading to IE7, and tons of other stuff. Nothing helped.

I finally found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

It's due to an incompatibility between the updates and HP's Share to Web software, which seems to come with almost any HP products.

Some of the symptoms they describe:

•Unable to access special folders like "My Documents" or "My Pictures".
    •Microsoft Office applications may stop responding when you attempt to save or open Office files in the "My Documents" folder.
    •Office files in the "My Documents" folder are not able to open in Microsoft Office.
    •Opening a file through an application's File / Open menu causes the program to stop responding .
    •Typing an address into Internet Explorer’s address bar has no effect.
    •Right-clicking on a file and selecting Send To has no effect.
    •Clicking on the plus (+) sign beside a folder in Windows Explorer has no effect.
    •Some third-party applications stop responding when opening or saving data in the “My Documents” folder.
    Hope this helps anyone else with the similar problems.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I haven't had that, but last month IE took to crashing to desktop after clicking links within some sites, and when trying to get to some sites at all. Other sites (like ABW) would work fine for a while and then mystery-crash randomly (but always after clicking a link).

Finally I got frustrated and put on Firefox. Now I use that for sites that I know bring out the error.

But I wish my IE worked right.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I have not had a problem like that, but I did have a problem with errors during an update and the update would not install.

I contacted Microsoft support on the issue, and actually to my surprise they got back to me quickly over Easter weekend and helped me solve the problem, and then followed up on the issue. I was surprised and impressed!
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    HP has crawled into bed with some Adware operators for their built-in FREE with every system applications. Uninstall them all and you'll probably see this XP security patch operate properly. Mike you should also get the Microsoft OneCare Beta and get 3 liscences for only 19.95 if you decide to buy. http://www.windowsonecare.com/ run that bugger and you'll find you don't need those other Anti apps and firewalls
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I think there's an update for that patch coming out today or tomorrow which should fix the problems.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    That would be nice I keep seeing Black boxes when I click on sites then a server not responding I also get Many Browser lockups a day it is very frustrating only started hapening this week after the "fix"

I'm happy I'm an Apple user

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    I think there's an update for that patch coming out today or tomorrow which should fix the problems.
    think I saw it today. also saw a download for license checking for XP. automatic checking, too. really wonder what that was all about. a plug-puller for your computer?

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread