Post Banners and image ads going away?
    I run an online station, and started with SAS to monetize the traffic I get each day on the site. It's not big, I'll admit, but it is growing and I'm not looking to go gangbusters, at least not yet.

I have a beef with a few merchants I considered participating in but had to skip over because they did not have even remotely useable banners for advertising. They had products that fit with the website, even good banners, but the sizing was so bad that a simple chop (or the dreaded forcing an image size to fit) would ruin the whole thing.

What I am asking is: Do the majority of users actually use the banners? or are you guys mostly into datafeeds/product links now? Am I doing things the way of the dinosaur?

Cause if I am, I'll keep quiet. But there are merchants out there that I would love to support but can't because they wouldn't spend 20 minutes on a decent image.

I don't use datafeeds yet. I prefer a specific product image.

As an example I like to use (when it is working) CJ's interface where I can type in the word "widget" and then see all the merchants who offer widgets for sale with pictures of the specific widgets.

I still use banners, but product links get the click through
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

its a matter of requirement and the changing trend

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Personally, I'm now banner blind from over exposure... and I've seen the same in many other people as well.

Banners can be excellent and useful and much more, but start elsewhere and then work in occasional banners where they are obviously adding substance and interest to your page.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Banners are great clickable spacers for a block of pre-sell spin or product recomendations (via individual product link) with sub-category text links. At linkshare I still see, after years of using full banners, that some sales only come to merchants from nice banners and landing pages. LS allows sale reporting via creative type.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Well, the right ones can kind of dress up a drab page and they do get some clicks.

I kind of look for a reasonable subject match and, then, size and color since I don't really expect them to produce much. I don't even care if the advertiser has low stats because of my low expectations for the banners. Providing a good selection is one way a merchant can, at least, get on a number of sites when they might not have otherwise.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Affiliate Manager
    Out of curiosity, what size banners do affiliates prefer? We've built a few selections for the HomeOfDecor.com program, but I'm sure we're missing some preferred sizes. What do you as affiliates like to see as size options?

Thanks!

Dave

Smile
    Hi Dave,

I personally use all of IAB standard size banners, but I mostly prefer
    468 x 60, 88 x 31, 120 x 60 and 120 x 600 (Skyscraper).

Maybe you should add one or two 234 x 60 banners and small 60 x 60 logo?
    [URL=http://www.affiliatesnetwork.info/links/][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Affiliatesnetwork[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL] | [URL=http://findhotel.info/hotels/][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=1][B]Book a hotel[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] | [URL=http://affiliate-marketing.affiliatesnetwork.info/][SIZE=1][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Affiliate Marketing Blog[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the suggestions Art.

I added 3 new 234x60 and 1 60x60 (man that's a small size!!! Our company name doesn't even fit! )

All banners are live online with ShareASale, and include targeted landing pages.

All the best!

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Standard 468 x 60 for filling in between products or end of product listings. Usually use the mirco bar 88 x31 with products or text, square 125 x 125 with text and recently adding skyscrapers 120 x 600 which fit neatly in sidebars. A few logo banners of different sizes are extremely useful.

Uh...Sell the darned products in your banners! Or, at least, say something to the effect of "Click here to see a great store full of...."

At least, offer some banners without the HomeOfDecor.com! Do you think that we really think it is a good idea to encourage people to type the URL into the browser and NOT click on the banner to see the products????

What are you thinking? Why should we give you free branding? NOT!!!

The whole idea is to get people to click on the banner to go see what is on your site. Make banners that people will want to click on because they are either wanting the product or are currious.

Not picking on you. So many merchants do this and it is really stupid. I avoid banners with URLs and only use them when it is a have to situation. When really highly motivated, I have even been known to use an image editor to erase the URL. (Naughty me. Stealing images!)

When we do use banners, the main thing in our minds is will this get someone to click through to the merchant's site and will my cookie be set so that I can get paid. If not, we keep looking.

And, now, some clueless merchants just got a really big hint as to why no one ever puts their beautiful banners on their sites. Glad this came up in the conversation.
    Last edited by SSanf; April 21st, 2006 at 02:07 PM.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave@HomeofDecor.com
    Thanks for the suggestions Art.
    You're welcome Dave!
    I added 3 new 234x60 and 1 60x60
    Thank you!
    ... and 1 60x60 (man that's a small size!!! Our company name doesn't even fit! )
    I know ... it's too small but it perfectly match
    with our site design.

I'll send you a link when I'm able to send PMs
    [URL=http://www.affiliatesnetwork.info/links/][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]Affiliatesnetwork[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL] | [URL=http://findhotel.info/hotels/][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=1][B]Book a hotel[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] | [URL=http://affiliate-marketing.affiliatesnetwork.info/][SIZE=1][B][COLOR=DarkOrange]Affiliate Marketing Blog[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][/URL]

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Uh...Sell the darned products in your banners! Or, at least, say something to the effect of "Click here to see a great store full of...."

At least, offer some banners without the HomeOfDecor.com! Do you think that we really think it is a good idea to encourage people to type the URL into the browser and NOT click on the banner to see the products????

What are you thinking? Why should we give you free branding? NOT!!!

The whole idea is to get people to click on the banner to go see what is on your site. Make banners that people will want to click on because they are either wanting the product or are currious.

Not picking on you. So many merchants do this and it is really stupid. I avoid banners with URLs and only use them when it is a have to situation. When really highly motivated, I have even been known to use an image editor to erase the URL. (Naughty me. Stealing images!)

When we do use banners, the main thing in our minds is will this get someone to click through to the merchant's site and will my cookie be set so that I can get paid. If not, we keep looking.

And, now, some clueless merchants just got a really big hint as to why no one ever puts their beautiful banners on their sites. Glad this came up in the conversation.
    SSanf,

Thats a great point that I honestly had not considered. I really appreciate you bringing that point to light, and I'll make sure to develop a good array of reduced-branded banners. I would think retaining our tagline ("Find your statement. Love your home.") would help maintain our brand awareness, but I do understand your point about the URL directly within the banner.

My apologies for not considering it sooner. Hopefully I can have a good selection of unbranded banners available before I head to ad:tech next week.

Art, glad you liked them. Feel free to email me directly if I can personally be of service to you.

All the best folks, hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm ready for a few rounds myself!

Dave

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Heres a thought for a small niche retailer. Develop a brand name with a real trademarkable Logo and informative tagline. You do not have a brand nor any trademark in the eyes of affiliates nor customers.... Therefore jumping to your URL as banner branding.

Like the others said your banners should entice clicks and all effort should go into having those clicks land on pages meaningful to the targeted shopper. You have a nice selection of niche decor items and landing pages deserving of a product specific banners. Invest in a logo and develop banners around that logo and forget the URL crapola as it reeks of free type in traffic to experienced affiliates.

Sample banners, that haven't changed in years, still convert at a 1 sale per 20 click basis... www.suspenders.com/banners.htm that discourage URL type-ins and encourage affiliate pre-sell spin to augment clicks.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Right now I only use the email sized ads on my sites.

They seem for the most part more to have more creativity to them and tell more about a site than any smaller traditional sized banners can, and the click throughs are definitely higher.

If you want to go even further as far as getting people to sign up for anything, taking people right into an offer page on a destination site in my experience will always produce a significantly higher sign-up ratio. And if the traffic is targeted to begin with, the results will of course be even better.

The reason being, very few banners can can properly convey the image and message an advertiser is trying to get across.

I just joined with SaS last week. Great suggestions about the banners. I honestly hadn't thought about the other side of the coin as far as our URL's go. I'm learning so much here about what the affiliates want from merchants. I'm quickly trying to get up to speed. I'm off to check my banners to make sure I have a decent selection without URL's in them.

As far as linking directly to products do affiliates want merchants to give you a monthly list of suggested products for direct links. Like say...this time of year...Mother's day, Graduation, Father's day. and give specific products links and images or create specific banners for the products. OR is it ALL going to data feed?

page dedicated to product with attractive description and built in text links and/or images works good.

If the merchant as well as the affiliate work together to promote products, there could be many ways this could be done. Passing on information of the product, customized banners for the affiliates site and various ways that could enable this metdos to work. But yes I am planing on getting data feeds as well into our program after mothers day we shall begin working on that!
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

I hate to see, and won't want to use, banner ads that are just merchant logo.

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive response to my post.

This is the kind of exchange that makes ABW so helpful to us all. We get a chance to explain our insights and the merchants can explain theirs so that we can all learn from each other and work toward our common goals with usually good outcomes.

I love ABW for givining us all this chance.

I'm really glad I asked this question.

Why I asked originally is I'm not a traditional affiliate, in the sense that I set up my website with the original intention of pushing product. However, I certainly have no problem with giving my traffic the opportunity to purchase items that would fit into their niche/lifestyle. That and I don't get enough traffic to solicit traditional advertising yet, imho.

So I wanted to see if I was in the minority, or if there were still merchants willing to work with targeted banners and advertising. Glad to see this discussion is taking place, I'm learning tonnes.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    I hate to see, and won't want to use, banner ads that are just merchant logo.
    And I too, don't like the banners that have the www . merchant-name.com, on it. There are a few merchants that have their logo on 95% of their banners , and I will not touch those.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread