Miss You
    My favorite Rolling Stones song is Miss You

That song expresses my feelings for a board feature that was and is no longer.

Please consider re-activating the Active Users PHP
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    I miss it too, but there are differences in how different sites use this particular feature of the software. Some boards make it available for all to see, while others make it available only to Admins and Moderators - for privacy reasons, which is fair. At least with this site you can see who's looking at a thread by viewing it, which is more than some want to do.

Some people don't want others "tracking" what they're looking at or "researching" (possibly even moderators checking on a member's prior posting history), so while some may miss the capability, people do have a right to their privacy.

Some sites (whichever software they use) don't even show who's online, either for privacy or for security reasons - both perfectly valid reasons. It can be a matter of looking at it as the glass being half empty or half full.

Do you like the Rolling Stones' song?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

http://forum.abestweb.com/index.php?
    and scroll down to the bottom.
    Never used that page myself.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

ABW Ambassador
    Mr. Dawg, you can see who's online, but you can't see what they're looking at at the moment. That's what isn't available; it's something that's set by permissions in the software.

Rhia that isn't my fave Stones song (though I do love Jagger), it's way down on the list from George Thorogood's "Bad to the Bone" and "Boom, Boom" by John Lee Hooker. And "Back Door Man" - that one's a real goodie.

Prior to joining ABW I've been very active with the FreeWebspace.net Community that has a very helpful Currently Active Users PHP List

I don't think it's a big privacy concern -- especially since many members of this board endorsed the idea of RFID chips into their skin. If they go for the RFID under their skin, then looking at a who's current PHP thing is not going to rock their world or threaten their privacy in a major way. RFID chips pose BIG privacy questions.

If you want to see what I'm look for when I go to the search key, be my guest, but the minute anyone tries to insert a RFIF chip under my skin I'll put up a fight.

Anyone's track record is easy to see in the archives with or without a PHP who's online deal.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    that has a very helpful Currently Active Users PHP List
    Any idea why they made that list viewable only to registered members?

Prior to joining ABW I've been very active with the FreeWebspace.net Community
    Well darlin', it's time to welcome you to the real world of grown-ups, serious webmasters and web professionals! It's a different world entirely. Clue: the words FREE and PROFESSIONAL or SERIOUS WEBMASTER don't go together - unless it's to be part of a seriously thought out "link network" and that type not only wouldn't take chips under their skin, many wouldn't even let their own mothers know the URLs of their websites.

Also, you've quoted from and linked there and linked to articles posted there, and from reading posts over there, a lot of what you've posted here about things like Adsense seems to come from there.

1 Corinthians 13:11, NASB:

11 When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things.
    There comes a time for everyone. And in the real world, privacy and security definitely are issues.

I would like to see how many un-signed-in visitors we have at any moment, if only as a reminder of why we shouldn't post certain things.

When school is out I'm sure the number will climb by at least 500 this summer. Each day. Kiddiecoders looking for shortcuts.

ABW Ambassador
    Some forum software has a capability to show how many users signed in or not. It looks something like this:

Currently Active Users: 310 (21 members and 296 guests)
    And guests always outnumber members like that, by many multiples.

ABW (at the time of this posting): 130 members and 1413 guests.

Heh, but that's Yahoo mostly, with scattered guests.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread