Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Sometimes, It's So Hard To Be Good
    Lol, noticed yet another fellow linking to one of my pictures for 50 or so of his ebay auctions. That is just so tacky, stealing a pic off my site to help him sell products in my niche.

I was just so tempted to change that image to a booby pic, but I refrained and simply replaced the image with the words, "This image stolen from......" etc...

Gosh, it's JUST SO HARD to not screw with him, hehe.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    You are such a nice guy.. Lol I would have put something really wicked up there..

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    Lol, noticed yet another fellow linking to one of my pictures for 50 or so of his ebay auctions. That is just so tacky, stealing a pic off my site to help him sell products in my niche.

I was just so tempted to change that image to a booby pic, but I refrained and simply replaced the image with the words, "This image stolen from......" etc...

Gosh, it's JUST SO HARD to not screw with him, hehe.
    Either way is satisfaction but putting a naughty picture in it's place is way more fun.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by elbowcreek
    I was just so tempted to change that image to a booby pic
    If you had put up a "booby pic" his CTR would have jumped LOL

ABW Ambassador
    I think the smilie thing from here that looks like butt-cheeks (I think Poopie uses it sometimes) would be absolutely perfect.

I'd be tempted to use an htaccess redirect when that image is called and redirect all his traffic else where. Then let him wonder why he's getting no bids. No one can stay on the page so long as the image is redirecting them.

Oh, hey, just got an email back saying, "Gosh, sorry, I didn't realize I was doing anything wrong."

Have I got sucker written on my forehead or something? Right now, the only other person using some of my images seems to be a teenager posting at Xanga. Hmmmm, maybe the butt emoticon would be appropriate....

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I hear ya on being tempted to put a "booby pic" up instead of the original!

Yesterday I was looking at my GoodBulbs log files, and noticed that someone had decided to hotlink to one of my pics.

My first thought was, "Now they're gonna get it! I'll switch the pic to something nasty!" Muaa haa haa!

But my business side kicked in (also there's sure to be some affs with that item still up even though it's discontinued and has been for months), and...

Looks like I'm gonna be showing at least 1000 FREE imps/day of the branding-ad box I whipped up for the occasion. It's a MySpace site, but since the imps are FREE, I can go ahead and wait until one of those kids mentions my site to someone who has a CC with some credit on it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

How do you know if someone is hotlinking to your images?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

It turns out some idget linked to one of my product images from a template or layout they made at Xanga which is now being used by dozens of people.... so that particular layout now sports an image of my domain name and a sales pitch.

On my tulip site, I am seeing a large amount of hits coming from myspace, but unfortunately my stats package for that domain is not giving me a specific url to check out, just that it is 'myspace', which does me no good at all.

zimmy....to answer your question, I just look in my stats page, and it shows me the links from external pages. I go to those pages, and I can see they are using my image to, say, describe a product they are selling on ebay. The Xanga guy used the picture to make his layout look nice, but you couldn't tell the pic was not located on his site until you did a 'view source'

After reading this thread, it sent me on a mission to find out if anyone is linking directly to my images. Well to my surprise, I found that there are many sites directly linking to at least 10 of my images. Most of them from myspace.

I like Leaderís idea about the marketing angle, but messing with them would also be fun, or I could just make it so people canít directly link to my images, but doing that would also cancel the traffic brought in by Google and Yahoo image searches. Which may be or may not matter, because Iím not sure how many sales or leads are brought in from that traffic. But Iím sure some are, somewhere along the way.

Should I mess with them, market to them, or just end it altogether?
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    After reading this thread, it sent me on a mission to find out if anyone is linking directly to my images. Well to my surprise, I found that there are many sites directly linking to at least 10 of my images. Most of them from myspace.

I like Leaderís idea about the marketing angle, but messing with them would also be fun, or I could just make it so people canít directly link to my images, but doing that would also cancel the traffic brought in by Google and Yahoo image searches. Which may be or may not matter, because Iím not sure how many sales or leads are brought in from that traffic. But Iím sure some are, somewhere along the way.

Should I mess with them, market to them, or just end it altogether?
    The question of whether or not image searchers convert into worthwhile traffic is a good one and wasn't really answered in the other thread about it. If someone has done any stats or research for this, we'd love to know.

Meanwhile, my first instinct is to say: "market to them!!" But the satisfaction of removing image linking is really good and the ultimate high of having a really nasty picture pop up on their pages is, for me, the best reward (probably for the hilarity factor). So you have 3 choices:

1) Market and get potential buying traffic, plus piss off the thief. (Both would feel good and one might even make you money).

2) Pull the ability to link and save bandwidth and help stamp out image thievery (noble, at best)

3) Exchange image with a picture of your dog licking his privates or of something else just as likely to make YOU crack up every time you load their page to get your jollies.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I would of put up a vagina pic. Emailed ebay saying the auction was offensive
    and had the auction removed.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I would of put up a vagina pic. Emailed ebay saying the auction was offensive
    and had the auction removed.
    Are vaginas offensive?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

ABW Ambassador
    You can, btw, prevent any images from being accessed from off your own domain - that's the best remedy of all. But...

Hmmmm, maybe the butt emoticon would be appropriate....
    Of course! and run it off a domain selling butt-wipes. See if the domain is available, and it there's a suitable program to sign up with.

ABW Ambassador
    "Are vaginas offensive? "

nope

I disabled all direct linking of images, but than I changed it back and let them keep their links for now.

I got to thinking, dose all those direct image links count as one way links back to my site?
    Could it be the reason G is giving me more traffic lately?
    I only checked recent todayís traffic and found 10 one way direct images links from myspace, a highly ranked site.

Dose anyone know if those links count the same as regular ones?
    Just a squirrel trying to get a nut, in the Internet jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Trying to Win
    I disabled all direct linking of images, but than I changed it back and let them keep their links for now.

I got to thinking, dose all those direct image links count as one way links back to my site?
    Could it be the reason G is giving me more traffic lately?
    I only checked recent todayís traffic and found 10 one way direct images links from myspace, a highly ranked site.

Dose anyone know if those links count the same as regular ones?
    GOOD question!

Maybe that's why Goog loves me? All the teeny boppers stealing my bandwidth? Kewl! LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Are vaginas offensive?
    Only if you are gay LOL

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    if you posted something offensive and it ended up on some 14 year olds site and the FEDS looked at it wouldn't you be liable and end up in prison? Why not replace with a rotating gif that includes a means to "Buy this" at www."yourstore".c0m or werever your image is (I sell graphics on t-shirts and stuff so that is what I would do)

I ended up just modifying the image to say "Buy products at domain X".....

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread