Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Question Bonsai Tree Growers?
    Hi All

Anyone here collect and grow Bonsai Trees? I'm thinking about kicking off a new hobby, I've always liked Bonsai trees but never had chance to learn more till now.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Don't ask me. I've only manager to kill a couple of them. One I got ready grown but didn't take care of it too well. They need proper attention. Another one I grew from seed I was quite proud of that got to a decent size, but went the way of the first one. Maybe 3rd time lucky for the next one.

Bonsai Trees are beautiful but all mine have ended up in the morgue
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

My brother loves Bonsai Trees. He's got at least 10-15 of them and treats them like his children. He grooms them all the time and keeps them outside under the sun as often as possible. They aren't indoor plants, so don't make that mistake. They need good sunlight and require a lot of care. They're pretty neat though!

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hi Scott,

Your brother isn't on ABW If you don't mind could you ask him what he recommends as a "starter" tree

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

I fancied growing some bonsai trees many years ago, so I went around gathering seed which I sowed and grew to small trees.

It then came to the first step of the bonsai pruning and I just couldn't bring myself to do the harsh treatment needed to keep the trees small and stunted. I ended up growing them on and planting them in the garden. We moved from that house a long time ago, but it's near where my Dad lives still and they are getting to be pretty good looking maturing trees - proper size.

I just couldn't bring myself to do the harsh treatment needed to keep the trees small and stunted.
    Ouch! You make it sound like it's on list of things that are evil to do, right under keeping the kids in a cupboard!

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Smile
    Hey Chris,

Long time no speak! Hope all is well with you and yours.

So bonsai, ehhhhhhh?

I actually, coincidentally was searching for something completely unrelated yesterday and came across this site: http://www.bonsaiboy.com

I have no idea as to the credibility of this guy's business or his program so if anyone has beef please don't jump on me - but he has a basic FAQ that you might be interested in Chris, so thought I'd pass it on.

Have a good one and happy bonsai-ing!

Cheers,
    Liz Gazer

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Chris you'll love this life changing hobby. I started with some Bonsai trees I bought from a nursery in Fla. Attended a few Bonsai Club monthly workshops and was amazed at how easy it was to make your own trees from nursery stock plants or gatheringy them from the wild or neighborhoods. You'll never not notice tree structures the rest of your life while driving or walking once your hooked on this hobby.

My ex-wife and I traveled to a Bonsai experts house who had trees ranging from 2 year old stock to 120 year old fantastic living heirlooms of all types. You can get indoor and outdoor trees suitable for any area in the world. At one point we had over 50 trees and loved watering -pruning and shaping them to simulate old age. Hell we went moss hunting for layering over the Bonsai soil. Start at www.ecomcity.com/bonsai.htm and get some books , basic tools and look over some indoor and outdoor specimens from those BonsaiBoy links. My bonsai links page has clubs listed from all over the world. Buy the first trees locally as USA shipping to your location would be too expensive.

Try it your love this 2000 year old hobby or living art form. I've been pissed for years that supplier gets 100 clicks a day form those pages and barely closes 10 sales per year. What a waste of EcomCity targeted traffic as no referral isn't looking for Bonsai trees or related honny supplies.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

The following are also a good choice, very forgiving plants, can't do much wrong:

http://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/artificial.html

Still, I know people who could even kill those...

Cheers, Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Chris - AMWSO
    Hi Scott,

Your brother isn't on ABW If you don't mind could you ask him what he recommends as a "starter" tree
    Chris,

I just talked to my brother and he recommends the Chinese Elm. He told me it's easy to maintain and transplant. It takes a lot of sunlight like most Bonsai, but it should be a great starter.

Enjoy!
    - Scott

Hi Scott,

Chris lives in Bangkok, there are no seasons there and it's just hot and humid all year round. The Chinese Elm is grown in North America and is subject to cold winters. Some trees need cold spells to do well. Would the BKK climate make it difficult for the plant to grow?

I'm asking because I may want to try it myself, and our climate is very similar to BKK.

Cheers, Frank
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by LearnAbout
    Hi Scott,

Chris lives in Bangkok, there are no seasons there and it's just hot and humid all year round. The Chinese Elm is grown in North America and is subject to cold winters. Some trees need cold spells to do well. Would the BKK climate make it difficult for the plant to grow?

I'm asking because I may want to try it myself, and our climate is very similar to BKK.

Cheers, Frank
    The climate in California is very similar to that in asia. We don't really have 4 seasons here and the weather or fairly warm all year round. The main difference is the humidity. I think it should do fine out there. Maybe start with an inexpensive one and work from there.

- Scott

Also, BBNY doesn't ship internationally, but they do have a section on starter trees.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I have killed 4 bonsai in 5 years I keep trying though (although I haven't had one in 10 months) I probably should think about it the concentration would keep me from spending too much time wondering when my aff application will finally be approved

A Fabulous Gift for Friends and Relatives
    I realized that bonsai trees is an awesome gift for friends and relatives. I have found a site: http://4bonsai.com and started inquiring about stuff related to bonsai such as: Japanese Juniper Bonsai, Authentic Bonsai, Imported Bonsai, Authentic Bonsai Trees and Imported Bonsai Trees. I ordered a nice Bonsai Tree and my friends received their Bonsai tree on Wednesday, where the Bonsai shipped to California for only two days, and they were thrilled!

It was the gift they never imagined. They made it a point to tell me how well it was packaged. I was thrilled to make them happy. I am a little skeptical about ordering on the Internet for obvious reasons. I sensed that the site http://4bonsai.com do have professionals who are passionate about what they do. When I get good vibrations I usually follow up. They are great! I will create opportunities to suggest bonsai trees for gifts just so that I can recommend them to other friends. They can consider me as a satisfied customer. Wishing them continued success and prosperity.
    Keep up the good work.

Animal Lover
    Bonsai is NOT for low maintenance gardeners...it's pretty high maintenance if you want it to look good and grow well - it's more like an obsession...

As for choice of plants - try visiting bonsai society sites (this one's the Singapore one) - really gorgeous pics of years of hard work and diligence...

http:// www .bonsai.org.sg/photo.htm

Good luck
    Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread