Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Is this really happening?
    I've been hearing this from a number of sources and it's disturbing although I thought I'd come here to find out the reality before I get my gut twisted over it. I'm imagining a FEE to have our sites load at all if this is an accurate assessment of what's going on:

"Internet providers like AT&T and Verizon are lobbying Congress hard to gut Network Neutrality, the Internet's First Amendment. Net Neutrality prevents AT&T from choosing which websites open most easily for you based on which site pays AT&T more."

From this site where there is a petition to congress to try to stop this craziness: http://www.civic.moveon.org/save_the_internet
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

That and AOL's idea to charge for e-mail really tops the cake
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Internet Cowboy
    I have heard this too, Rexanne. I think it is little more than paranoia at this moment. There will always be one company that does not do this and that will be the company that gets the lion's share of customers, so I think the laws of economics will keep this from becoming too large of a problem. I hope so anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    Wouldn't worry about any of it.

It's a scary thought ... Kind of like all of a sudden having to pay RENT to have our sites online. I'll relax about it now. Thanks guys!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Freedumb to deliver
    I've been visiting Moveon.org since a friend turned me on to it...it looks like they are going to try to bleed both ends of the connection...pay for connection (isp) and pay for delivery (site owners advertisers etc) to avoid site blocking or service degradation.

http://commerce.senate.gov/hearings/...05&wit_id=3971 transcripts of the hearing from feb 7th on Net Neutrality

2ND campaign on email delivery
    Aol is looking for a new profit center in email delivery, based on spamm filters. Boil it all down and that sounds like pay for play in freedom of speech doesn't it? Based on other campaigns I've seen go through MoveOn, the powers to be are trying to limit freedom of speech to what you can deliver by voice or print, unless your willing to pay. Let's just start to call this "Freedumb to deliver"
    http://civic.moveon.org/emailtax/

ATT&T and Verizon both want websites that deliver Media contents such as download sites to pay for using their network. SBC and AT&T have been saying they want it the most and Verizon followed suit.

But as soon as they realize that websites are what brings people to the internet and not just email they will abandon the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    ATT&T and Verizon both want websites that deliver Media contents such as download sites to pay for using their network. SBC and AT&T have been saying they want it the most and Verizon followed suit.

But as soon as they realize that websites are what brings people to the internet and not just email they will abandon the idea.
    So, they want to be like AOL with their ads and promo at the top of any page that loads? I suppose they're all wanting a piece of OUR action. - Let's all start posting that we're not making any money. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Thats a crazy thing to do.......the internet was the only place where everyone around the world has equal opportunity. With a decision like this its as good as the monolply big companies have over small enterpreuners in our day to day lives offline.
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Talk about not focusing on the customer.

I'm sorry "ms. customer", I know that the information that you are looking for is very important to you, but the website that provides the best information isn't paying us, so we're going to direct you to some garbage site that doesn't give a crap about you and isn't providing quality content, because they are smarmy and pay us a lot of money to do so.

Geez.

OOOPS just realized was an old POST, LOL GethsemeneRose's Avatar
    I understand this has been in the works for over 5 years and still not being done so I wouldn't work myself up about it. Remember the CUSTOMER always wants faster and if the service provider (like at&t) offers SLOWER service who is going to buy it? someone else will just offer a workaround and offer faster service.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread