32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Website

24 75.00%
  • Web Site

8 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Internet Cowboy
    Grammar Poll...common question
    I am a webmaster, so today I will build a new ____________.

Is it website or web site? One word or two? I see it both ways often.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I avoid the issue altogether and just call it a "site"

If pressed, I use two words because it looks better to me than one. But, I think I read somewhere that it's actually supposed to be Website. Not only one word, but capitalized to boot!

A quick check of G for "website" shows Microsoft has it like this: "Web site". Capitalized, but two words.
    On the other hand, when I searched for it as two words, G asked "Did you mean: website?"
    Other sites use every permutation imaginable. Two words, one word, capitalized and not. And, of course, plain "site."
    So who knows.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter
    I am a webmaster, so today I will build a new ____________.

Is it website or web site? One word or two? I see it both ways often.
    I don't know the correct grammatical rules about that one, because that word was not created before the 70's, so I use both of them when the page is targeted to webmasters.

Btw,

I don't know the correct grammatical rules about webmaster neither, but I use both too.

Is it webmaster or web master?

I'd say "Web site" would be my first preference. Being a linguist, I love dictionaries, and Webster has an entry on this here advising to spell it as "Web site". Webopedia supports the same spelling [see here]. However, any linguist will tell you that most fun in studying languages consists in the fact that most languages on the earth are live languages (apart from Latin, Ancient Greek, and languages of extinct tribes and peoples). Every language develops and changes as time goes by; especially in an industry as fast-paced as the online world! So. NetLingo will accept both spellings [see here], and this is the wisest thing to do. Because, as you said, Scoot, we "see it both ways often", and if webmasters (or web masters) call it both ways then it is totally acceptable to call them both ways. Because web-masters know it much better than the good ole Webster [that - as we all know - regardless of his seemingly "web"-related name had no connection to the Web whatsoever ] could.

Geno

PS: Point of clarification: your question is an orthography question (not grammar). Orthography is the field that focuses on the spelling, punctuation, and capitalization rules. Grammar is a slightly different, and much wider field of linguistics.

Token "Canadian" Cool Guy Ryan@MB's Avatar
    I spell it website... not web site. I think it all depends on where in the World you live. Things are spelt different in different counrties. For example, up here in Canada we spell center as centre, or meter as metre.

So, in one part of the World it could be website and in another it could be web site.
    Ryan MacWha
    Merchant Manager
    [b]We’ll help you build your affiliate program[/b]
    [b][URL="http://www.maxbounty.com"]MaxBounty 2.0[/URL][/b]

ABW Ambassador
    They talk about it here some:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Website

I use website, although I would think web site would be more accurate. It's not schoolteacher, rather it's school teacher. Or Googleemployee. You're an employee of Google, a teacher of the school (or at the school), it's a site on the web (or of the web). The web is it's own entity, a site is it's own entity.

That's the way I've always thought of it, although the explanation sucks.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    My husband is an editor, so I ask him when I get confused or conflicted about these types of things. His reply to this question, "It depends." What it depends on is which editor's guide you use. Apparently either is correct, according to various editor's guides.

My personal preference is website. Might be because I'm half German. (Some of you will get this and some of you won't.)

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Funny, I've milled this so many times in my mind:

website, site, web site, Web site, Website.. hehe.

Since 'Internet' is suppose to be capitalized (at least that use to be the standard), I would always tend to capitalize 'Website' or 'Web site' ..but who the heck knows.

I am going to go read that wiki page on it

Call it an Internet Portal. Sounds classy.
    [font=verdana][b][size=3][color=red]Are you familiar with [URL]MaxBounty.com[/URL] yet?[/color][/b][/size][/font][font=verdana][b][size=1][color=black]
    • Over 120 merchants with CPA/CPS programs seeking affiliates
    • Over 4500 network publishers seeking programs to advertise
    • Earn $100 per merchant and 5% per affiliate on the second tier [/b][/color][/size][/font]

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    s.

Btw,

I don't know the correct grammatical rules about webmaster neither, but I use both too.

Is it webmaster or web master?
    Shuld "neither" be "either"?

"too" is good. A lot of "peepole" forget the second "O" for certain uses of "to"

Capitals are for first word in a sentence and for proper names.

Web site is a place on the web. Website is a thing, such as, store, mall, restaurant,shirt, shoe, etc

Best products for realtors is "a bridge" and "ocean front property in Arizona"

On a serious note, doesn't the "mispeling" of a word get Googles attention?
    By the way "spelt" is "spelled".

IF IT WORKS, DO IT.

I am just a poor little ole mountain boy trying to make it in a cold harsh world.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

From the Oxford Dictionary site:

http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexper.../usage/website

It always takes a little time for new words to settle to a standardized form. Our most recent dictionary, the revised 11th edition of the Concise Oxford Dictionary, published in July 2004, shows website as the standard form, and future dictionaries will reflect this.

We recommend capital initials for Internet, World Wide Web, the Web, but not for individual sites.
    What I thought was most interesting was that instead saying "websites" or "Web sites" at the end of their recommendation (which I highlighted), they just said "sites". They're saying one thing, but doing another.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    My husband is an editor, so I ask him when I get confused or conflicted about these types of things. His reply to this question, "It depends." What it depends on is which editor's guide you use. Apparently either is correct, according to various editor's guides.

My personal preference is website. Might be because I'm half German. (Some of you will get this and some of you won't.)
    As an editor (and being surrounded by editors here) ... Web site, with "W" capatlized.

@ Karl, what's up with the capitalization of Web and Internet?! What's the justification for it?
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Muwahahaha! I love catching editors' typos. Don't you?

Karl wrote:
    As an editor (and being surrounded by editors here) ... Web site, with "W" capatlized.
    (Ed.: Emphasis mine.)

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    @ Karl, what's up with the capitalization of Web and Internet?! What's the justification for it?
    "Most stylebooks and dictionaries agree that the words "Internet" and "Web" (when referring to the World Wide Web) should always be capitalized because they are proper nouns. There is only one Internet and only one World Wide Web.

However, not everyone agrees on other Internet terminology. According to the Associated Press (AP) Stylebook, "Web site" is always two words, but there are others who spell it as "Website," "website," or even "web site." Some consider it acceptable still to use "website" only when writing informally."
    [full version of the "Internet Grammar Concerns"]

Both or either. My preference is for 'website', which is a composite noun. But 'web site' is also okay - in this case 'web' is an adjective.

Upper or lower case? The convention with Internet seems to be to capitalize words.

Final analysis... it doesn't matter. People know what you're talking about.

Pride of lions - gaggle of geese --- is the collective for 'pickers of nit' - a forum?

Charles

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    web site - it's 2 words, not one. a WEB site = a site on the WWW.

I capitalize Internet and the WWW is supposed to be all caps, too. (As Geno said, they're proper nouns)

These "rules" have been culled from using spell check religiously and being edited mercilessly by a newspaper editor friend when I first started writing articles online. I learned a lot from her.

I'm freakish about perfect grammar, spelling and punctualization, although without spell check, I'd look like a complete idiot.

OK, now since we're on the subject, there are a few words (or misspellings) that drive me crazy. I see it all the time online, on ABW and on other people's sites. So that my ABW friends don't look like idiots in the world, I'll share my two pet peeves:

ALOT - WTF is THAT?! It's NOT a word. It's A LOT (2 words!)

And another one commonly misspelled is "their" and "there" -

THEIR is for someones something: Their web site

THERE is for a place: Going over THERE to post.

If I think of more, I'll post them. I believe it's vital to use correct spelling and grammar on our sites. after spell checking this rant, I found 5 goofs all fixed now) ... *sigh*
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Internet Cowboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    THEIR is for someones something: Their web site

THERE is for a place: Going over THERE to post.

If I think of more, I'll post them. I believe it's vital to use correct spelling and grammar on our sites. after spell checking this rant, I found 5 goofs all fixed now) ... *sigh*
    AMEN Rexanne. There, Their and They're drive me crazy when misused.

Also...then and than.
    "You have more then I do." WRONG!
    "Put on your socks, then put on your shoes." CORRECT!

There is a SAS merchant who has a banner in his program that says:
    "More shirts then a department store" I find this completely unbelievable!!

Don't mean to divert the thread, but if we have a statement like "I shop at ABC store because there prices are the best." on our site, a certain number of people will immediately go back and continue on in their search. I might be wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleScooter

Don't mean to divert the thread, but if we have a statement like "I shop at ABC store because there prices are the best." on our site, a certain number of people will immediately go back and continue on in their search. I might be wrong...
    I Agree 100% - I'd rather have a savvy shopper on my site, one who is well educated. Maybe they would spend more. LOL - But we are WRITERS if we have web sites. And writers do not publish anything in the real world that hasn't been checked by an editor. And some editors are idiots, too. I am seeing "ALOT" in published books I'm reading which makes me nuts. It's become such a common misspelled word that it passes editor scrutiny. Arghhhhhh

Since we're on the subject, here's another one we all need to watch out for:

TOO and TO

TOO means ALSO (I bought the other book, too. or I got my payment, too.)

TO is going TO a place, talking TO a person ... (I'm going to Dave's house. Or: I'm talking to the AM ...)

This is another very common mistake which is glaringly apparent to an educated individual ... one who just might be shopping on our sites with CC in hand. ;-)

I suggest running everything you're writing on your sites through spell check. If in doubt, run it through a word processor like WORD that will also alert you to bad grammar and punctuation.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

And some editors are idiots, too. I am seeing "ALOT" in published books I'm reading which makes me nuts. It's become such a common misspelled word that it passes editor scrutiny.
    That's not the only one!

The object of my loathing:
    Lose/loose
    It belongs like this:

Many Americans could stand to LOSE some weight.

The dog got LOOSE!

AAARRGGHHH!

Tax Paying Member
    I would venture to say that most of us who understand the meaning and spelling of these words waded through high school 20 (no offense) or more years ago.

Just making a statement .......an observation .......not making a judgement.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

My understanding is
    Web Site = page on the web
    Web-Site = lazy way for people to write world wide web
    website = the computer a web site is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    I would venture to say that most of us who understand the meaning and spelling of these words waded through high school 20 (no offense) or more years ago.

Just making a statement .......an observation .......not making a judgement.
    And 20 years ago we were educated better than now? Might be ... I went to a British high school ... we were drawn and quartered if we didn't speak or write English properly so might not be as accurate a reflection of the state of American education. My kids have learned to spell use proper grammar and punctuate properly. No complaints here. They are also in private schools so again, maybe not an accurate reflection.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast