Smile Targetting customers by geography
    Hi,

I am new to the board and need to ask a few " dumb " questions. I have a businesss which will be online in july. I am based in Australia and will be doing off line advertsing in Aust.

I have a range of products not easily found in Oz ( niche market ) and have partnered with two boutique Canadian and US compnaies to stock their products. Although they do ship world wide shipping single items is cost prohibitive so I am picking up the slack for them.

My products can be shipped worldwide but primarily I am looking to make a mark in the local market. How can I attract affilaites from Aust and NZ specifically? I know how frustrating it can be to find what you want online only to be told at checkout the company ships to US/Canada only? I don't want to frustrate potential customers and because I cannot stock all the products I would like will be referring my site visitors to a few merchants I am an affilaite with but want to be sure they will ship to Aust. Will this make affiliates view me as a " leaky" site?

With share - a - sale how can I find merchants who will ship worldwide ( or Aust /NZ only ) is this the info being conveyed by the flag icons?

Wow .. I think I'm finished ( sorry I know it is a world wide web by Australia Post charges an arm and a leg for international postage).

Susan

ABW Ambassador
    Getting affiliates mainly from Australia and NZ - Well, there are a couple of affiliate networks in Australia which would help you achieve this. I forget the names but a Google search for 'australia affiliate networks' should find them. I do know that Clixgalore.com has a strong presence in that part of the world, though.

However, what does it matter where the affiliates themselves come from ? Providing your affiliates make it clear that your products are priced in AUS Dollars, they can come from anywhere.

I would like will be referring my site visitors to a few merchants I am an affilaite with but want to be sure they will ship to Aust. Will this make affiliates view me as a " leaky" site?
    Yup, fraid so.

Austrailian geographic targeting
    It's the science typically called "Demographics." (targeting by geography, age, gender, profession, taste etc. Years ago it was a task. It's a sinche (mad easy) today, with the internet.
    I'm speaking of using Google and search engines as such. They usually ask for geographic preference as well as time zone, when setting up a pay per click account.
    Google allows you to target your pay per click campaign. Thus you may enter keywords that connect with your topic and solicit only Australians if you wish. The same goes for eBay's auction resources (the last time I checked.) It's the modern trend for search engines to have targeting facility. I'm starting to do niche marketing in "other than my native NewYork." and would like to hear what others have to say about this. What do you all think about pay per click search engines with geographic targeting?

Success Is Yours,
    Glen Jon

P. S. I'm a native Newyorker and prefer marketing abroad. You can experience many examples of my marketing technique at:
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; April 27th, 2006 at 02:50 AM. Reason: SPAM removed

Wink Targetting affiliates or do they self select anyway?
    Thanks jon,

I understand demographics and Googles regional specific ads etc.

That's fine but I am looking for - or targetting affiliates who will also be reaching the demographic I am looking for ( working the system backwards in effect ) that way we both have a better chance of making money.

I will happily accept affiliates from anywhere in the world but for someone who is already speaking to my demographic, by a blog on gardening, golf or a website relating to my product, the rewards will be much greater than for someone say, who's web visitors only like to buy made in the USA, when most of my products are made in Australia and many Aussies like to buy Australian made ( hard to find now in the apparel industry- most products come from China ). My product is definitely not regional specific but the competitive edge I have is, amongst other things, being able to offer these items and good local service.

I guess what I am really thinking is that I would prefer my affiliates to integrate links to my site in text that is contextual - some thing along the lines of if you are looking for ... X has a great range and will ship anywhere in the world... an advertorial with a personal touch ( seeking the 39-55 female demographic etc. etc.. )

Any suggestions from affiliates who use such methods would be really appreciated , does this bring sales for you? Do you shy away from merchants who like to tell you how to do your job?
    Last edited by begabloomers; April 27th, 2006 at 12:43 AM. Reason: misspelling

Quote Originally Posted by begabloomers

I will happily accept affilaites from anywhere in the world but for someone who is already speaking to my demographic, by a blog on gardening, golf or a website relating to my product...

I guess what I am really thinking is that I would prefer my affiliates to integrate links to my site in text that is contextual ...

Any suggestions from affilaites who use such methods would be really appreciated , does this bring sales for you? Do you shy away from merchants who like to tell you how to do your job?
    I shy away from merchants who e-mail me with "Super coupons, put them up NOW because they'll expire in 24 hours"

I'm not a coupon site, although I will list some (provided the promotions last for at least 2 weeks). I just made a joke but I do get bombarded with e-mails urging me to put up coupons that are so ephemeral why should I bother?

I am from New York but during my early years on the web people thought I was from Australia because I have many Aussie Web Pals and I linked to them and gave tribute to one who created many graphics for me at the time.

I like to display generated image product links that I picked out and I use contextual links as well in my reviews which can at times be quite short or which can take up half a page (depending on what I promote).

I get traffic from the United States, UK, Europe, Canada and Australia.
    Since I have some (UK) merchants who only want to deliver within the UK, I've made a special section of my site where I repeatedly type within whatever I am writing the geographic area (UK). I've named the section with the geographic location too. So far I've focused on the UK, but I could do this for other geographic locations as well.

Someone suggested that I might want a domain with "co.uk" in it -- I might consider that at another time, but right now I know that my stats indicate traffic from all over for my current site & I'm working with that presently.

I welcome merchants' suggestions if the suggestions are reasonable.
    I know that it is not always easy for a merchant to e-mail me specifically, but if one does I'll take note
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Brilliant
    Thanks Rhia7,

that helps me a lot. I won't be in the coupon issuing business to all and sundry. But.. is it ok to offer coupon's to affiates say who have been bringing sales in ( and not to others ? in share a sale ). Is this unethical or just a way of rewarding good performers by maybe generating more sales for them.

I'm not looking to capture the bargain hunter's market - I just couldn't compete there but want to generate the "person service" touch albeit remotely. e.g so an afilliate could say in text something along the lines of - x merchant has offered my reader's a special 10% off or free shipping or a free item with the purcahse of 5 etc. for the month of XYZ to help me celebrate my new release of my gardening underwater photography series ( or what ever the site is about ).

Can I , or should, i make specific deals with affiliates through a program such as share a sale? Would you respond as an affiliate favourably to such an offer?

Susan ( sorry I wish I could see your post while I am typing my reply)

Thanks Rhia7,

that helps me a lot. I won't be in the coupon issuing business to all and sundry. But.. is it ok to offer coupon's to affiates say who have been bringing sales in ( and not to others ? in share a sale ). Is this unethical or just a way of rewarding good performers by maybe generating more sales for them.

Can I , or should, i make specific deals with affiliates through a program such as share a sale? Would you respond as an affiliate favourably to such an offer?

Susan ( sorry I wish I could see your post while I am typing my reply)
    If you would like to see a post you are responding to, hit the quote button. The quote button will copy the entire quote of the person you are responding to and you can delete the sections that are not pertinent to your point/conversation.

My complaints are from merchants who include me in mass mailings usually about an offer that will expire prior to my ability to put the special links up

I guess you could make special deals with affiliates making good sales but I would warn you about some pitfalls.

Special deals should be precise and done in such a manner that your other affiliates won't catch on.

I would encourage a new marketer to try to be fair to all the affiliates.

All I have to do is search for a product in Google and I can figure out who sells what.

Be careful with your favoritism or some affiliates will drop you.

Ofcourse, if one affiliate is raking in the then contact that affiliate personally via e-mail etc...
    Often a deal is made in commission percentages.

I'm sure others will have suggestions. I hope mine helps
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Hi,

My products can be shipped worldwide but primarily I am looking to make a mark in the local market. How can I attract affilaites from Aust and NZ specifically?
    Susan
    Susan, are you a merchant who wants to sell products and you need an Affiliate Merchant? Are you looking for AMs to handle the online deals?

Or are you an AM already as well?

You can always be specific in your TOS, your Terms of Service.

The UK merchants I deal with specified in their TOS that they are only interested in shipping within the UK.

I live in the US but my sites generate traffic from countries I've already mentioned. I often will weave a product link (image) and a contextual one in a paragraph or within the sentences I'm writing to "pitch the product" and I will write that the particular product can only be shipped within the UK.

I decided to create a special section of one of my sites because one merchant was selling widgets that would really go with my site but the only difference is that those items must be shipped within the UK, so I started to put UK only special type of widgets on one page and I had enough to go onto another page...

If a product would go nicely in one of my blogs I'll put it into the blog and I'll note that this is special for people who live in [name the geographic area]

That's one example that shows a way an affiliate can deal with the shipping situation.

In terms of getting a Affiliate Merchant, I would think you could get anyone but you would have to make it clear in the TOS that your products are for Australia & New Zealand only (or wherever).
    Last edited by Rhia7; April 27th, 2006 at 02:16 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread