Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Coming Out Of Supplemental
    Just noticed some traffic for terms that I used to get traffic for before Google threw a lot of my pages into supplemental, figured it might have been a bug or something. It was odd because it threw most of my site into supplemental and the pages that it didn't were doing great, some page 1 for what I wanted them to be. Anybody else seeing this?

Trust,
    What does supplemental mean?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

ABW Ambassador
    There's a little info here:

http://www.google.com/webmasters/faq.html

There were some big threads about this at Webmasterworld:
    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum30/33594.htm

I have read FAQ in Google about supplemental index. They have clearly mentioned that supplemental sites are part of Google's auxiliary index. The number of parameters in a URL might exclude a site from being crawled for inclusion in our main index; however, it could still be crawled and added to our supplemental index.
    Burhan Tanweer
    Marketing Manager
    sales/at/awebhosts.com
    [URL=http://www.awebhosts.com]www.awebhosts.com [/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    Burhan, so you're saying what?

I have highlighted the keywords that a webmaster should be concerned about. The reason that your pages go in supplemental index is that it has a large number of parameters in the URL. When google crawls all the pages in a website and chops off the url upto certain length. It will see different content on the page but the same url will put these pages in Google's auxiliary index.
    Burhan Tanweer
    Marketing Manager
    sales/at/awebhosts.com
    [URL=http://www.awebhosts.com]www.awebhosts.com [/URL]

ABW Ambassador
    "The reason that your pages go in supplemental index is that it has a large number of parameters in the URL."

Nope, not the reason my pages went supplemental. I gave you a link where you can read some more about it. And it's not sites that go supplemental, not in my case. Just some pages and it had nothing to do with parameters in the url.

Now - how do I know which of my pages are in supplemental? Is there an easy way to tell?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure if there are other ways but i just put this into Google:
    site:yoursite.com

and it will say Supplemental Result at the end of your url if it's Supplemental

The easiest way to see the pages in your site that have been tossed into the Supplemental Results database is to use the site query command to list all the pages that Google has indexed.

In a Google search box enter site:yourdomainname.com (no spaces and use your domain name).

Each page that was trashed into Supplemental Results will indicate "Supplemental Result" just to the right of the URL. Your pages have probably been moved to Supplemental Results due to a duplicate content penalty or a "thin affiliate" penalty. Pages in Supplemental Results will not rank well. Google is on a vendetta to identify and penalize affiliate marketing sites that do not add any value for the user. I've also seen good sites with original content thrown into Supplemental Results recently due to the presence of affiliate links.

It can be extremely difficult to get a site out of Supplemental Results because Google frequently stops indexing these pages.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    I'm leaning more towards a bug or something. I make my pages pretty much the same and some are supplemental and some not and had nice rankings. Those that were supplemental are coming back now. It's like for years Google like them, month or so supplemental, ok we like them again. Same pages. So who knows. And I've also seen sites/pages with no affiliate links go supplemental too.

There was talk of a supplimental bug a few weeks back. I believe Matt Cutts may have addressed it on his blog even, but i thought that had been ironed out a bit ago.

Maybe your seeing some residual effects from that?
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

ABW Ambassador
    Could be. I still have some that are supplemental but it looks like a big chunk lost the Supplemental tag today and am seeing some more traffic because of it.

I thought "Supplemental Result" indicated Cached and Similar pages?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    Not sure if there are other ways but i just put this into Google:
    site:yoursite.com

and it will say Supplemental Result at the end of your url if it's Supplemental
    Cool - never checked this before. Glad to see none of my pages are so tagged. Thanks for the info on how to check this out!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    trust I have seen a bunch of pages I watch come out of the supplemental index recently, too..

It could be a bug, but you could also be seeing results from different data centers. They used to be in synch, but are not any more. I see four differnt data centers in my area that randomly change throughout the day. Each has a differnt number of pages in their index and sometimes different ranking results.

You can tell which data center you are viewing by cicking on the Cached link for a Google listing. The IP address in the URL identifies the data center.

Google is not "one big database". There are more than 50 data centers scattered around the planet.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

ABW Ambassador
    That's true, what I was telling Roland in this thead:

"There's just not 1 datacenter for the main Google anymore."
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=71411

So I think in the other datacenters, my pages are coming out of supplemental too. This morning had some more new traffic and checked the terms and couldn't find them in Google because of the above.

a few weeks ago Matt mentioned in his blog that supplemental pages got crawled, but much less frequently.

Yeah I'm seen a few pages being resurrected -- didn't think I'd see those pop up again. I was getting the impression with Big Daddy things wouldn't fluctuate so much.

Also when checking cache for different data centers it seems for me now when ever I check the big daddy dc is the only one that comes up.
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

Cool
    you may have to find one of those sites that lists many of the IP numbers for google and hit them that way . . .

ABW Ambassador
    Damn, the pages coming out of supplemental keep going up and up. Seeing more traffic again for pages I thought were gone. So I have some extra work to do to freshen them up

So if you're supplemental here and there, there is still hope.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I posted about this on WebproWorld but thought I'd mention it here also.
    The supp pages are either in or out of a site search depending on what you search. The pages do still exist in the index, they're just not visible sometimes with the site command.

On a side note, is anyone else finding it taking a very long time to get new pages indexed and exiting pages to be updated? Maybe related to the Supp Index fiasco?

Jack, I'm seeing a lot of what you are seeing. Some new sites get indexed pretty quickly, but others are sitting with just the home page in Google's index for quite some time. Once GoogleBot starts moving through a site, it appears to be doing it much slower than it has in the past.

I've also seen the Supplemtal results come and go, depending upon which datacenter is serving a geographic area at any given time.

On the other hand, MSN seems to be much more agressive than it has been in the past. I'm seeing regular visits from MSNbot on a wide range of sites.

O.K. Read this. This explains just about every question and suspicion posed in this thread. Great info from Matt Cutts blog especially about the supplimental issue:

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/indexing-timeline/
    Suz~~GearGirl~~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast