Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question How can I customize a datafeed?
    Hi, I got the datafeed from CJ and when I got it it was missing (what I thought anyway) information. In my case, I am selling shoes, but the datafeed didn't have any sizes. I asked CJ and they said the datafeeds just came the way they gave them, but that they could be customized by referring to their manual. I look at the manual and did a search for "custom*" and couldn't find how to do it. Does anyone know how to customize a CJ datafeed? Thank you for any help.

Hi Johnny,

You have got the datafeed from CJ but don't know how to customize it. We can help you upload data in your database and customize it according to your need. If you need assisstance, please let me know. You can simply send us data file and the manual. We will figure it out for you. We are specialized in data feed hosting. If you need hosting for your site, we can also provide hosting at an affordable rate.
    Burhan Tanweer
    Marketing Manager
    sales/at/awebhosts.com
    [URL=http://www.awebhosts.com]www.awebhosts.com [/URL]

Really? and how do you do that Burhan?
    The customization I mean.

hmmmm?
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

>>>we can also provide hosting at an affordable rate<<<

you seem like a nice person but this could possibly be construed as

possibly?
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!

Hi johnnyWebAffiliate,

Download the free program openoffice and use the spreadsheet utilty... Download it here at: http://www.openoffice.org/ .

Also get free program CSVed, download it here at: http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/software/software.htm .

I was able to do pretty much whatever I wanted with these to progs.

Love You,
    HumbleFish
    Last edited by HumbleFish; April 25th, 2006 at 02:36 PM. Reason: format

I may be reading the original poster wrong, but it sounds like he may be asking about how to get specific data from the merchant(s)? as in being able to customize the data feed he receives.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleFish
    Hi johnnyWebAffiliate,

Download the free program openoffice and use the spreadsheet utilty... Download it here at: http://www.openoffice.org/ .

Also get free program CSVed, download it here at: http://home.hccnet.nl/s.j.francke/software/software.htm .

I was able to do pretty much whatever I wanted with these to progs.

Love You,
    HumbleFish
    Both great tools Humble, but he may need advice on what to do to make it more customizable.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    Both great tools Humble, but he may need advice on what to do to make it more customizable.

Yes. All I need is a size column. People often search by size. but the tools look nice thanks.

You can add any "column" you like.

Not so sure how much (or how long) you will like cross-referencing each item on the merchant's site to see what sizes to type in there.

You can try contacting their affiliate manager. Sometimes I've had luck getting merchants to add fields to their datafeed. It's not easy and most merchants aren't very open to it, but it's worth a try. Otherwise you can have somebody write you a site scraper that reads the merchant site for the available sizes. This is a sloppier solution, but it'll get the job done.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    You can try contacting their affiliate manager. Sometimes I've had luck getting merchants to add fields to their datafeed. It's not easy and most merchants aren't very open to it, but it's worth a try. Otherwise you can have somebody write you a site scraper that reads the merchant site for the available sizes. This is a sloppier solution, but it'll get the job done.

- Scott
    Then how are affiliates supposed to market items that clearly need sizes? Why would they produce a datafeed for shoes with no sizes? It makes no sense to me. No wonder it's such a bonus if a company offers a good feed with the appropriate columns. Thanks for your help. It is what I was looking for.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood, please forgive.

Love You,
    HumbleFish

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyWebAffiliate
    Then how are affiliates supposed to market items that clearly need sizes? Why would they produce a datafeed for shoes with no sizes? It makes no sense to me. No wonder it's such a bonus if a company offers a good feed with the appropriate columns. Thanks for your help. It is what I was looking for.
    Perhaps it's because I'm new, but our affiliate sites aren't necessarily the be all and end all. Yes, size is an important option, but really, if someone likes the shoes, they proceed to the merchant site to make the purchase, where they are then given the choice of sizes and colors...?

My $0.02 at least...

Quote Originally Posted by Talus
    Perhaps it's because I'm new, but our affiliate sites aren't necessarily the be all and end all. Yes, size is an important option, but really, if someone likes the shoes, they proceed to the merchant site to make the purchase, where they are then given the choice of sizes and colors...?

My $0.02 at least...
    I think the best way to do a shoe site is to ask for the shopper's size up front then only show the shoes that are available to them. This avoids them the trouble of finding a shoe they like to realize it's not available in their size. I agree that the sizes are extremely important in a shoe datafeed.

- Scott

I think the best way to do a shoe site is to ask for the shopper's size up front then only show the shoes that are available to them. This avoids them the trouble of finding a shoe they like to realize it's not available in their size. I agree that the sizes are extremely important in a shoe datafeed.

- Scott
    Well, I guess I am out of luck and $200. Size is not an available column for shoes. Unbelievable. I guess I should sell something else.

Well, I guess I am out of luck and $200. Size is not an available column for shoes. Unbelievable. I guess I should sell something else.
    Don't let it discourage you. You can always scrape for the information. It would give you a very competitive edge and surely help your sales. You can always ask the merchant to offer an external feed with the additional information. Although I don't see any reason why they can't include it in the CJ feed. There must be place for it.

- Scott

Don't let it discourage you. You can always scrape for the information. It would give you a very competitive edge and surely help your sales. You can always ask the merchant to offer an external feed with the additional information. Although I don't see any reason why they can't include it in the CJ feed. There must be place for it.

- Scott
    Thanks for the encouragement. I will ask the merchant, but I'm not sure I want screen scrape 134,000 shoes. I'd rather sell something else. One of the merchants does have a free datafeed with sizes, but the angle of the site was a comparison engine. There are lots of folks that sell shoes and most that have more than one merchant they are an affiliate of. But there were very few that had real comparison engines, searchable databases of shoes. There are the big sites and froogle, of course. I was going to leverage my programming ability and attempt to sell the one item I had ever sold. I really don't know anything about shoes anyway. Maybe I should sell something else. I can tell you that I wish I would have known this before the CJ datafeed fee.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will ask the merchant, but I'm not sure I want screen scrape 134,000 shoes. I'd rather sell something else. One of the merchants does have a free datafeed with sizes, but the angle of the site was a comparison engine. There are lots of folks that sell shoes and most that have more than one merchant they are an affiliate of. But there were very few that had real comparison engines, searchable databases of shoes. There are the big sites and froogle, of course. I was going to leverage my programming ability and attempt to sell the one item I had ever sold. I really don't know anything about shoes anyway. Maybe I should sell something else. I can tell you that I wish I would have known this before the CJ datafeed fee.
    If you want to flex those programming muscles just write a scraper. It shouldn't take longer than a few hours to write and you can put it on the crontab. I'd ask for the merchant's permission first of course, but I don't see why they would have a problem with this.

- Scott

ABW Ambassador
    The merchant has the sizes on the site, which is quite enough. They also keep the current inventory, which you couldn't keep up with, not being tied into their database. Maybe that's why the size isn't in the feed, which is a very good reason.

People don't look for exact sizes of shoes - just gender or narrow or wide where size is concerned. Where did you get the idea that people search and find pages by shoe size - have you seen it in server logs or stats?

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    The merchant has the sizes on the site, which is quite enough. They also keep the current inventory, which you couldn't keep up with, not being tied into their database. Maybe that's why the size isn't in the feed, which is a very good reason.

People don't look for exact sizes of shoes - just gender or narrow or wide where size is concerned. Where did you get the idea that people search and find pages by shoe size - have you seen it in server logs or stats?
    I do not want people to find my site from a search engine based upon size. I want them to return to my site because they can search based upon size. I do not expect someone to put in "size 9 heels" in Google. I expect them to put in shoes, high heels, or some brand and make it to my site. But when they get to my site, they expect to be able to do that. Who wants to see a bunch of shoes, constantly clicking, going to the merchant's site only to find out they don't have their size.

Quote Originally Posted by webworker
    They also keep the current inventory, which you couldn't keep up with, not being tied into their database. Maybe that's why the size isn't in the feed, which is a very good reason.
    If he were to update the prices daily I'm sure that's sufficient. CJ even lets you receive daily updates on each of your datafeeds. The price and size updating can be fully automated.

- Scott

If he were to update the prices daily I'm sure that's sufficient. CJ even lets you receive daily updates on each of your datafeeds. The price and size updating can be fully automated.

- Scott
    I can agree on one thing: The cumbersome-ness of relying on CJ to set up a feed, the $200, and the lack of fields is not worth the money.

seems to me that 1/2 of the time the availability with one merchant will be close to the other, if it's a comapirison site throw it up so that the shoes that have the sizes are listed and the ones that don't ...don't

see IF there is a difference for sizes listed vs not listed. Your going to be correct more times than you'll be wrong and you might find that size is less important than you think.

If your looking for size on the SEO side of things avoid putting size options in a drop down option format, unless you know a trick i don't ;-)

I can agree on one thing: The cumbersome-ness of relying on CJ to set up a feed, the $200, and the lack of fields is not worth the money.
    I don't find it very cumbersome. CJ is great about adding new feeds and keeping everything up to date. The $200 is well worth the investment if you want to go that route, but you don't need to pay if you do over $10,000 in sales over a single month. All-in-all CJ does a great job with the datafeeds.

- Scott

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast