Thumbs down WQ Affiliate Program Feedback
    The other day I noticed I got a sale at like 10:30 PM from WedQuarters and almost immediately it was VOIDED. The reason was "Other - Affiliate Offers Incentives + Referral Website Not Disclosed Sale". I contacted the merchant and this was their reply:

------------
    Hello David,

Thank you for your email.

We consider an incentive to be anything prompting the user to click on our link, and this included labeling our banners with the words: "Deal", "Promotion", "Discount", "Savings", "Coupon", etc.

Thank you for your understanding,

Jason
    WedQuarters Support Team
    -----------

My site doesn't offer incentives (i.e. offering users credits to click on ads). It just lists the deals as "blablah promotion". It's not even labeled as a coupon. People click on the banners because of the MESSAGE/PICTURE ON THE BANNERS.

This sounds to me like a creative way to take commissions away from affiliates after the sale, and I strongly urge those out there to stay away from this merchant. You can do better w/ other merchants who aren't monitoring their sales 24/7 for the purpose of looking for excuses to void affiliate commissions. I've contacted Sharasale but they say there's nothing they can do because specifically word "promotion" is one of the prohibited "incentivizing" terms in the merchant's Terms of Agreement (TOA). That's scary because apparently it means that on Sharesale whatever merchants put in their TOA goes, as long as it's not ambiguous. So I suppose that if in the TOA it specifically says that "commas and periods MUST not be used more than 3 times on your webpage" that makes it a valid excuse to rip off affiliates?

Just my 2 cents.

David

David,

Thanks for letting everyone know about this. If I were you I would only work for programs that look for excuses to PAY you a commission. I have a few in mind but Im sure you can find them on your own LOL.
    David Carter
    MagazinesQuick.com

You should cantact them again and ask them to log in to remove themselves from your program, as you do not promote de-incentivized merchants..

Quote Originally Posted by David Carter
    David,

Thanks for letting everyone know about this. If I were you I would only work for programs that look for excuses to PAY you a commission. I have a few in mind but Im sure you can find them on your own LOL.
    Yeah seriously- you'd think they'd be happy that I made my first sale for them. That would've been something encouraging & positive that that made me promote their program more.

Accoridng to their TOA:

...WedQuarters affiliates may not offer rewards, discounts or any other incentives for visitors to click on a WedQuarters affiliate link or banner.
    This includes labeling banners with any of the following terms: "Deal", "Promotion", "Discount", "Savings", "Coupon", etc. WedQuarters reserves the right to reject or remove all merchants who fail to comply with these provisions....

It doesn't say that they can void commissions that are already earned- it says they can "reject or remove all merchants who fail to comply". So what right do they have to take away the commission? Maybe I'm being paranoid but it seems like it's a trap- they know that your site violate their TOA by having the word "deal" or "promotion", they accept you into their program anyway, and once you make the sale they void your commission. To further prove my point, they didn't even bother removing me from their program- probably in the hopes that I didn't notice the VOID and leave their banner up so that they can do more voiding in the future.

David

Internet Cowboy
    We consider an incentive to be anything prompting the user to click on our link
    That's great. Put their links on your site but encourage your customers not to click on them. What an idiotic merchant.

Send them a link to this thread. They need an education.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I don't want to speak for the merchant or their intent, so I will speak in general terms...

It is not that uncommon for a merchant (specifically one who does not provide coupons/discounts/etc... or one who sells very high end or high end brand merchandise) to discourage and restrict the use of specific words in ad copy... such as "Discount", "Coupon", etc....

One of the possible reasons for this is that is a person is shopping on their site, then searches for the words "Their Merchant Name", and "Coupon" (or other similar word) ... they don't want the consumer finding results because in reality, there isn't any such coupon.

Some retailers need to restrict this as well because their actual vendors do not allow for their brands to be associated with words such as "Discount" because all retailers sell the product at the same price, etc...

Now - while I will agree that wording such as Uncle Scooter quoted above is a little odd especially when taken out of the complete context of their entire TOA, if I were to guess - this merchant has policies similar to what I outlined above... specific questions about their program or TOA, however, should be addressed to them if you are a prospective or current affiliate, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    It is not that uncommon for a merchant (specifically one who does not provide coupons/discounts/etc... or one who sells very high end or high end brand merchandise) to discourage and restrict the use of specific words in ad copy... such as "Discount", "Coupon", etc....

One of the possible reasons for this is that is a person is shopping on their site, then searches for the words "Their Merchant Name", and "Coupon" (or other similar word) ... they don't want the consumer finding results because in reality, there isn't any such coupon.
    True- but all I did was is put "merchant name" + the word "promotion" or "offer" next to their banner. I mean how else am I supposed to describe the banner- call it "merchant name" + uh, "banner"? I did not label their banner a "coupon" or a "discount".

But what I find disturbing is that commissions can be voided at the discreption of the merchant, even though no where in their TOA does it say that they can do that. It says that they can remove affiliates but it doesn't say they can cancel commissions.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    For this merchant, the word "Promotion" was specifically listed in the TOA not to be used - and by your own admission that was the word that you used...

Generating commissions through practices that are against a merchant TOA or a network TOA is what makes this or any other commission voidable. I'm not sure I understand your point on that... if you generate commissions against the rules, what should a merchant do?
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    They have nothing on their site about specials or promotions, they probably don't offer them, just their flat rate prices.

It's a nice site, the only problem I have with it, even though the links to the pages aren't very obvious and are probably more for spider bait, is that their link page and all their articles pages are running Adsense very prominently.

Wow- somebody went and changed the title of this thread that I started back in April. The original title to the thread was something like "Avoid WedQuarters & their TOA", now it's been changed by someone to "WQ Affiliate Program Feedback". That's scary that there are people around here who can go and change title of threads to make them more inconspicuous and less searchable.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread