I have rebuilt the free games area of my site into its own separate site with its own domain and I do expect a lot of traffic.

I have one GOOD converting banner on the entry page and I have made a page for gaming magazines to load behind. I would like to throw in a few pop-ups with contests or such that are timed to only pop-up after the user has had a bit of time at the site. How often would it be reasonable to have them pop-up?

Is this a good plan?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Well, popups are annoying but some have reported good results with them.

Not remembering what the page in question is like, I will say that:

If the viewer is likely to be doing something else (like trying to play a game!), forget it, no gamer wants their game interfered with by having to X a popup, or their score wrecked by a popup. One of the things that drove me away from playing at PrizeGames was their infernal popups, which wrecked my games!!!

If your games page is basically trying to get people to sign up for games at other sites (in other words, it's a bunch of ads), then a few more ads shouldn't hurt anything.

Well, they will basically be downloading games in zip files. There is a Java games area, however. I guess, the question isn't whether I am going to use pop-ups because I no doubt will, but at what point should I use them and how often on a site where people will be hanging around downloading games.

Thanks for your answer. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Point well taken about when they are playing games!

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

I don't play games but the kids do. And they said the same thing about them messing up the game.

I never read popups. I just delete them before they ever load. Maybe though you could have one when they enter and one when they leave the site.

Good Luck with your new site!!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

SSanf,

On a game site I would go with a pop behind on on exit. Just don't do anything to screw up a player playing or a download in progress.

Ray

Do you like pop-ups are your site? I hate them!!The fact of the matter is in a recent article in our local paper, viewers hate pop-ups as they are annoying. It also said pop-ups are are the way out. You decide!
    Gerry

I've tried using pop-ups and pop-unders on affiliate and adult sites with very little success... they waste bandwidth and everyone hates them... basically, text links sell

I'm going to use them but I am also going to try to make them as non-intrusive and also as interesting and relevant as I can. They seem to be earning a bit of money currently, so I guess that is the answer.

Thank you for your input. It gave me more insight into the needs of my visitors and what I need to change in order to not put them off.

If I do it right, they may accept the pop-ups as part of what I am giving them for free. You know, present it like a part of the service. "Thanks for coming. We hope you had fun. Before you leave, here are some more great places to get free games. (Insert advertisers)"

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: SSanf ]

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread