ABW Ambassador
    Going back to school...
    ...for a "web applications developer" associates of applied science. One foot in the employment grave. It will help me deploy sales pages faster, though.

Between credit by waiver (employer wrote a nice letter detailing my skills) and transfer credits from my two years partying at UNL, I'm halfway through the program.

To the school's credit, I did learn a few things in my Logic Design/OOP class last quarter.

I'm taking a web page fundamentals class. They're teaching XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

Transitional = allows the use of deprecated tags.

I used the font tag on my first assignment, since it was required. I included a comment that the Font tag is being phased out (and is sloppy), and asked if I could use CSS instead. I'll find out at my next class meeting.

Font tag = too much typing.

/rant

hey, the learning process is a healthy thing. I'd like to go back to my school but the certification course is now almost 30K.

Sounds like fun!

Most of my computer science study was theory. It was great and interesting, but there really wasn't enough about web development. I took one database class that I enjoyed. We were to implement a db administration tool similar to phpmyadmin. The class was taught with JSP and mySQL, but they allowed me to do everything in PHP. It was a fun little project.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Herb, Learning process may be healthy, but this is like being taught how to tie your shoes.

Snib, this is more "vocational" than "academic". Kinda like being taught how to weld, as opposed to being taught about the molecular-level bonding of two metal pieces when introduced to huge amounts of electricity and how much electricity it takes to make those molecules bond.

I have to come up with a 4-page site for a business, either real or fictional. I might actually use pictures of some "toys" I've built in my garage for products. I need three products.

Quote Originally Posted by weisinator
    Snib, this is more "vocational" than "academic". Kinda like being taught how to weld, as opposed to being taught about the molecular-level bonding of two metal pieces when introduced to huge amounts of electricity and how much electricity it takes to make those molecules bond.
    Practical skills can't hurt. Everything I've used in my business career was learned outside of college. All I learned in academia was how to party hard and socialize.

Might be interesting to keep us posted on your assignments. It's interesting to hear about how web development is being taught. Are you going to get into any server side scripting languages like JSP, PHP or ASP?

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Weisinator,

My son is a freshman at UNO (sister college of UNL for those not familiar) and is a computer science major. I think it is great as I don't have to go back to school and he is loves to show me what he learned.

Plus, he is a real asset every time the home network crashes.

Sounds like you are having fun with it. Keep us updated.
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

Got my computer science degrees years ago (way far outdated now) and used very little of it past the first 3 years. All practical things were learned on my own afterwards.

Ain't gots no needs for book lurnin...

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread