Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Need Help (fast) Locating Files for WebMerge to Work
    I worked all day yesterday trying to get this to work (because I'm only half way computer literate). I have a Garden site and would like to get the Nature Hills Nursery feed into it quickly.

Anyway, I want to set up a 4-tier system, I'm using Franks tutorial to do this. I have the first tier coded, but it is not putting the Database info into the web-site. Here's what I think is the problem:

I use XSite Pro to build the site, and the software has a local file that it puts all of the files into before it loads to the Web. I believe WebMerge cannot get into this local file -- even though it's not password protected. I experimented by putting the feed in the file and trying to get it to build pages, and it did not find it, which is why I have this theory.

HOW do you map to actual files on your web?

Evelyn

When learning Webmerge, it is much easier to practice with running an index and detail page before taking on a 4-tiered page.

Have you been able to set up a template and run webmerge with just an index and detail page?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

My first step was to try to get the Categories to show uo on the Index page. I put the code in as follows:

[WM-RECORD][WM-IndexLabel: CATEGORY]
    [WM-FIELD: CATEGORY]
    [/WM-IndexLabel][/WM-Record]

Only the code is showing up on the page. Shouldn't this be populating with the Category info if it was working correctly?

One thing that has worked for me when I've had problems is to use the code generator the Webmerge has. That way there are no typos. You might also try building a trial template using the very basic of code (like you just posted) and putting it into notepad instead of your html editor you are using. That can also show you were the problem lies.

-Christopher Morley

I tested the simpler file as you suggested, and it did import, but it's running everything together, and showing http addresses. This is on the Index page:

Yucca filamentosa ***us Grandifolia Carya laciniosa Prunus angustifolia Polystichum acrostichoides with yellow-green foliage. It will repeat its bloom again later in the season." Osmunda cinnamonea Picea Pungens melting flesh. It has an outstanding flavor. The Comice is not self-pollinating and requires a pollinator. Grow these and put them in your own gift boxes.The giant Abies concolor Gardening Accessories light green in color with a yellow tinge when ripe. Anjou pears have exceptional keeping qualities.

It seems like it's running a bunch of stuff together. I have it downloaded in Excel CSV, so it's separated in the file.

Then, on the detail page, it looks like this (it has an image file, but the http code is showing:

<http://www.shareasale.com/m-pr.cfm?merchantID=4742&userID=157857&productID=453144347>

Click picture for details.

Shrubs: Other

Adams Needle

Our Price: $8.36 <http://www.shareasale.com/m-pr.cfm?merchantID=4742&userID=157857&productID=453144347>

Click Here for details <http://www.shareasale.com/m-pr.cfm?merchantID=4742&userID=157857&productID=453144347>

Any advice?

Oh and, I appreciate getting this far, it's nice to see that something imported and that my original thoughts were incorrect. . .

I spoke too soon. The preview in Webmerge shows the above, but when I put the page up, it only has code in it, hum. . .

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Evelynb1
    I spoke too soon. The preview in Webmerge shows the above, but when I put the page up, it only has code in it, hum. . .
    If it looks good locally but not when uploaded, then it seems that WebMerge is doing its job well but the problem is that the images cannot be found in the same relative location on the server.

Where do the images reside, locally or on the vendor's site? If locally, have they been uploaded to your server?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

With DataFeeds, isn't everything linked to the Vendor's site? In preview, I do see the images, but the I can also see the tags (as shown above).

I asked WebMerge to upload the files to my site after they were created, but it looks like they are not there. They are also not in my Software file. I guess this is the problem, but now I don't know where they went. If I could find out where they are stored, maybe I could manually FTP them.?

Oops, forgot I changed my password this morning, since this is a new test site.

Look at it now, the Index is all on one line, but if you click on any of the links, you'll see the problem.

http://www.heartfullofgifts.com

OK, me again, I'm determined to figure this out.

I just uploaded the files, and it made a path on my server to C://XsitePro/program files/28/56, or something like that. This is the path I told it to put the files in; it is the path where the software files reside before I export them to the web.

So, I'm back to my original problem. How do I tell it to put them directly in the public_html file, I can't type in that field, so I'm not sure how to get the info in. . .

From what you've said so far, I think you may be doing it wrong.

Webmerge won't upload the files or pictures to your server - you'll have to do that yourself. You will need to tell Webmerge to put the files it makes into a folder on your computer. You then upload the files to your server.

-Christopher Morley

Quote Originally Posted by zimmy
    When learning Webmerge, it is much easier to practice with running an index and detail page before taking on a 4-tiered page.

Have you been able to set up a template and run webmerge with just an index and detail page?
    Exactly!

Evelyn,

One of my first Webmerge sites was Nature Hills, and just like Zimmy says, it is much easier to practice with running an index and detail page before taking on a 4-tiered page, and while by now I have learned more ways than one to make any new site with any datafeed using Webmerge or with my new acquired knowledge of Php/MySql, I will tell you this personal secret........ the first pages that I made to Nature Hills with Webmerge, are the ones that this month are getting the most hits on SAS.

Don't ask me about the conversion rate or about details about that program, because I won't tell you.

The main purpose of my reply here is to tell you that you can make any worthwhile website using Webmerge, and with a decent merchant datafeed, but the results that you will get may different if you don't keep an eye on things.

Fwiw, with merchants that have less than 1000 products, I used to make just one index page, and then one detail page for every product while using Webmerge and I got good results before, but after G went on the shoot first, ask question later, I have seen many of those sites gone to the G hell hole, not every site, but the ones that were making me more before.

And while I am talking about this, it's too bad that Nature Hills doesn't convert any better, because Nature Hills is one of my favoryte merchants, and I am still sending them a lot of hits with some of my first Webmerge generated pages. (But, don't tell any one that I just spilled the beans, my beans.)

Sal.

Thanks for the info Sal. I'm getting more than a little frustrated with the whole thing. It's day 2, and today I've been trying for the simple site as suggested, but still not there.

I've got the fles in the right place now, but the Index page is repeating the Categories, and I still have code in the detail page.

Is this due to a bad file, or my user error. . .

P.S. Does Webmerge work on a CMS web (like Joomla).

Practice Site is at http://www.heartfullofgifts.com/

Any help in fixing is greatly appreciated -- sigh. . .

Did You Resolve This Issue ...
    Thanks for the info Sal. I'm getting more than a little frustrated with the whole thing. It's day 2, and today I've been trying for the simple site as suggested, but still not there.

I've got the fles in the right place now, but the Index page is repeating the Categories, and I still have code in the detail page.

Is this due to a bad file, or my user error. . .

P.S. Does Webmerge work on a CMS web (like Joomla).

Practice Site is at http://www.heartfullofgifts.com/

Any help in fixing is greatly appreciated -- sigh. . .
    I myself am having this problem with Webmerge and Xsite. I am looking into Joomla alternatives and have found a component that is suppose to work with feeds but am having problems getting that to work. Le me know if you make any progress and I'll do the same.

Action Jackson - King of the World
    does your url code look like this in your template?:

<a href="[WM-Field Product_URL raw]&afsrc=1" title="[WM-Field Product_Name raw]" target="_blank">

I'm ALMOST there. Thank you Zimmy and Sal and Richard for all your help!

I think I fixed the double links on the Index page by sorting the Feed file by Category -- either that or the extra line break after the code did the trick -- I've done so much troubleshooting I can't remember. . .

Jackson was right on with the reply. I copied/pasted the code from Franks tutorial into my pages directly from the template. However, there are a-href codes that need to be there in order for the links to work as links and not as text -- DUH!

Reaper: Make sure all of your template files and detail pages are located with you other XSite files. My XSite program stored itself in C:/program files/xsitepro/sites/25/48. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a special folder for the Detail pages (I can make the folder, but WebMerge isn't recognizing it so far), If I can't, it will just have to upload to the public_html file (eek, 2000 files there!). I haven't gotten back to my Joomla site yet, because I wanted to finish my garden site before Spring is over. I should have it done today if all goes well. If you find something that works with CMS sites, let me know.

I believe the only unresolved issue I have now is that when I try to automatically run the WebMerg file, it gets stuck. Is this because I still have the test version? It gives me the "you can only run 20 files" message, and then the "processing 20 pages of 20" screen where the blue line looks like it's done, but it doesn't give me the option to preview the site. All of the sites run fine by themselves though.

If you want to check into the site tomorrow and see my handiwork, it's going to be at www.squarefootgardeningtips.com

Thanks again everyone!

You're right - the trial version will only let you process 20 files. Once you purchase, it will run all of the files.

-Christopher Morley

In this case, I'm only trying to run 20 files and it's not completing. I don't have the entire DF in the file yet, only 18 lines. I just bought the full program, so I'll see if that works.

I'm ALMOST there. Thank you Zimmy and Sal and Richard for all your help!

I think I fixed the double links on the Index page by sorting the Feed file by Category -- either that or the extra line break after the code did the trick -- I've done so much troubleshooting I can't remember. . .

Jackson was right on with the reply. I copied/pasted the code from Franks tutorial into my pages directly from the template. However, there are a-href codes that need to be there in order for the links to work as links and not as text -- DUH!

Reaper: Make sure all of your template files and detail pages are located with you other XSite files. My XSite program stored itself in C:/program files/xsitepro/sites/25/48. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a special folder for the Detail pages (I can make the folder, but WebMerge isn't recognizing it so far), If I can't, it will just have to upload to the public_html file (eek, 2000 files there!). I haven't gotten back to my Joomla site yet, because I wanted to finish my garden site before Spring is over. I should have it done today if all goes well. If you find something that works with CMS sites, let me know.

I believe the only unresolved issue I have now is that when I try to automatically run the WebMerg file, it gets stuck. Is this because I still have the test version? It gives me the "you can only run 20 files" message, and then the "processing 20 pages of 20" screen where the blue line looks like it's done, but it doesn't give me the option to preview the site. All of the sites run fine by themselves though.

If you want to check into the site tomorrow and see my handiwork, it's going to be at www.squarefootgardeningtips.com

Thanks again everyone!
    Ouch all those files turned loose on a server without a seperate folder.
    I am still figuring out on one of my test sites how to insert the webmerge into xsite and contain it in a seperate folder. I may mess with it in a subdomain to not have to deal so much with it. I have found a free joomla component that will work with a feed if your interested I could PM you. The component I am still having issues with but someone else giving it a try may not. Let me know.

Thanks Reaper. If you want to PM me with the Joomla feed file that would be great. I found one also, the test version is free, but I haven't had time to test it yet. . .

Anyway, I bought the license for Webmerge, and that solved the problem with the Auto Run. I think everything is fine now, although I may not post all the files until I do a little more research on adding a separate file for the data. I really hate to see all those files "turned loose" as you say.

Thanks again (again) everyone!

Evelyn

It looks like I've got the full program running, most of the problems have been resolved, but I still have one issue that is WebMerge related, I think the file issue is XSite Pro related, because WebMerge is making separate files for the Detail pages, Xsite Pro is just not recognizing the template files.

Anyway, when I first create the WebMerge file and upload it, it goes up nicely and makes the Product page with the information on it. However, if I then go into XSite Pro and make changes to the Web, and then upload XSite pro again, the WebMerge product file becomes blank.

Will I have to re-run WebMerge and re-upload all of the files every time I update the site?

reaper,
    I'd also like to know the joomla componet for dealing with datafeeds. I'm just starting with joomla but see promise there if it will work with feeds. Please reply with the url where you got the componet or email me,
    Thanks

Affiliate Manager
    ...when I first create the WebMerge file and upload it, it goes up nicely and makes the Product page with the information on it. However, if I then go into XSite Pro and make changes to the Web, and then upload XSite pro again, the WebMerge product file becomes blank.

Will I have to re-run WebMerge and re-upload all of the files every time I update the site?
    Good question for the folks who make XSite. It would be a poor design decision if their product disallowed using any other standard HTML pages on XSite-managed sites, and given their product's good reputation I would doubt that's the case. Perhaps a brief note to that vendor will reveal what's needed for it to integrate gracefully with other standard HTML pages on your server.
    Richard Gaskin

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by reaper
    I am still figuring out on one of my test sites how to insert the webmerge into xsite and contain it in a seperate folder. I may mess with it in a subdomain to not have to deal so much with it.
    What exactly is XSite doing that prevents other standard HTML pages from being left alone on the site? Doesn't XSite allow the user to control what XSite manages and what it doesn't?
    Richard Gaskin

Yes, You can tell XSite not to export something, and it won't touch it again, it also doesn't touch anything that is not on its local file, but that's not the problem.

When I upload all of the files to my public_html file, everything uploads and works great. However, when I make separate files for the data (i.e. public_html/data), everything is uploaded to the file OK, but the template formatting is not recognized, I just get the text bars. For example, I'll get the Text that says "garding tips and tricks", and the data from the feed, but I do not get the banner picture, and the links on the left side are just links, and not enclosed in the banner format of the site (even if I move the template files into public_html/templates.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast