Image Search Rant
    I have pics of wedge sandals on some portions of one of my blogs.

I get annoyed when a Google image search reveals the sandal and then has a big link underneath that says More selections at shoeseller.com
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Write them and tell them about it, they're misrepresenting your pic so you never know, you might even get a response.

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by jeremymgp
    Write them and tell them about it, they're misrepresenting your pic so you never know, you might even get a response.

Cheers,
    Jeremy
    Write Google?

I don't think I'm the only one who has this problem. Anybody else?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

where is the image hosted and where did it come from?

ABW Ambassador
    Writing Google won't do anything. All a webmaster can do is put images into a separate /images/ directory and disallow the directory from being crawled by Google, or by all search engines altogether.

They generally give the URL of where the image actually resides, and show the page they found it on. The page it's on is what's in the framed part in image search. I've had hits from image search and when I looked it was the merchant's site listed as the source of the image with my page underneath.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I get many jacked images from searches and so do my webmaster clients. Nice every now and then to see my clients product photos within #1 listings front and center on Google SERP searches. Then they disappear but do get some extra traffic.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by mrbshouse
    where is the image hosted and where did it come from?
    This has happened to me with both Linkshare & CJ.

I use one of their images for a product.

Someone searches Google Images for the product and lo and behold the product picture is there & my site is indicated (but this time it didn't go back to the blog page where the product had been showcased, the link pointed to the beginning of that particular blog which most likely frustrated the person doing the search). The problem is that there is a larger and bolder link going back to the merchant.

The particular picture was a generated product image but I want the link to go specifically to where it should be on my site.

This often happens when I put generated product images throughout one of my blogs, but the same problem of highlighting the merchant instead of one of my pages occurs during a search of a product that would appear on one of my static web pages.

That is a problem with product images:

Find more widgets at Merchant X
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    I get many jacked images from searches and so do my webmaster clients. Nice every now and then to see my clients product photos within #1 listings front and center on Google SERP searches. Then they disappear but do get some extra traffic.
    My problem is that the traffic should come to one of my pages but it goes to Merchant X
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Out of curiosity, does Merchant X ever = the merchant you are affiliated with?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    Out of curiosity, does Merchant X ever = the merchant you are affiliated with?
    True -- one of my affiliates.

It would be similar this situation:

Let's say I write a small review about a certain type of Bonsai Tree in one of my blogs (as far as I know, it's okay to sell products in blogs) and then someone searches Bonsai Trees in Google Images in order to choose the exact type desired. There is a picture of the most desirable Bonsai Tree in my blog (now in the archives, I wrote about it last week) but Google decides not to link to the archive page but to link to my current page which has jokes about current events and eulogies to rock stars.

The person goes back to the Google Image search page and sees the convenient big blue link:

More Bonsai Trees at Big Bonsai City -- Our Prices are the Bomb

Google's search navigation bar at the top of my Blogger blog has never worked, so I have a Google Search device below and I have some other search thingy -- but where will the customer go? Huh?

This situation occurs in my blogs and also in my static pages.

Take a wild guess: how do you think I feel?

Any advice?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread