Question Brian, do you want us to report them?
    Brian,

Would it help if we let you know which affiliates' e-mails bounce back? After all, SaS is only one having access to their files, and -theoretically - having an ability to fix these things...

If it would, it'd be good to have a form within the merchant account for reporting things like this.

Geno

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    In a perfect world, what would you want me to do with the info...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    Dam Brian,

You're a good man, you just posted the right answer, and while I may, or may not agree with that answer, I have to agree that there is no easy way to respond to that question, since there are too many details that can go one way or the other to the question that Geno have posted.

Is there anyway to put that into a script that checks for a few days to see if it's a server error or something. If it is in fault for a few days, then maybe some flag could be added to the first page the affiliate sees when logging in.

An affiliate you can't reach is a problem waiting to happen if they are active at all and it's not like anyone has time to call these people...right? How many AM would even take the time to report this?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I get and send SAS merchant e-mails. Just the one's hiding from me like Bonsai Boys of NY don't reply worried my thousand clicks in the last month to them, with zero sales, might cease if they run out of excuses. SAS occassionally Test purchasing those pinged reporting tags would be a nice feature.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

In a perfect world, I'd like to know that when I hit that "Submit" button on the newsletter page, my e-mail is actually getting to people. My do-you-want-us-to-report-them question was not so much about the "do you" or "do you not" as about what can we as merchants do to help straighten the records of invalid/bouncing e-mail addresses within SaS. I know, you will not have the time to go call every one of them, but I'm sure things can be done (like the one proposed by mrbshouse, for example) to make life easier for both the merchants that get these bounce-backs, and the affiliates whose e-mails bounce-back (as they might not even know it)... Out of 400+ e-mails that were sent out by RL yesterday (with a very attractive offer to those who have not activated their account with us yet), close to 10% (!) bounced back. No wonder why they are inactive. They don't even know what they are missing...

On a separate note, one of the e-mails sent out replied back:

-----------------------------------------
    Thank you for your website submission.
    get your Australian Domain Name
    $30 year
    http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com.au
    Web Design
    http://www.xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

SEO ranking top 40
    http://www.*****businessdirectory.com

***** Business Directory is currently ranking 2-6 in all search engines.
    The stats are 60,000 visits monthly & growing.
    We are trying very hard to get it right. Keeping up with the latest Hi-tech Software.
    The site will be going under a major update. Going on 6 years. time for new colors, content.
    We receive over 1,000 url request weekly. We assure your link will be added within 7 days guarantee!

If your website requires higher ranking positioning we are offeringSEO $350 guarantee top 30. Normal fee $2000 our fee $350 same service
    We guarantee to get your site in the Top 40 or higher or 50% refund. To date not one refund has been requested.
    5 page Basic Website Design$350
    5 pg Classic Website Design $650
    10 pg Business Website $850 w/ intro flash
    500 MB web hosting $15 month
    1500 Mb web hosting$30 month

Australian Domain Names $30 1 year
    2 years registration required ABN/ACN

NO SET UP FEES NO HIDDEN COST>>>
    if you just need to ask a question please email us..
    Very Kind regards,
    Support ***** Business Directory

-----------------------------------------

Hmmmmmmmm... I thought I was sending a Activation Incentive Newsletter. Turned out I was submitting my site into some Australian business directory...

Geno

Geno, this should be an auto-responder.

I prefer to manage newsletters by myself it helps to sort it: returned / read / blocked. 10% of bounced back seems too much..

Every time Geno has a newsletter bouncing thread, I know that I have again missed out on an email. I wish I knew the answer to this problem, since I get all the other emails and my email address is NOT invalid. This is the stuff that makes me crazy.

mrbshouse,

in general, the POP3 protocol will handle this on its own if a server is down or delayed...the message will be re-attempted several times. A bounce occurs during a fatal error such as a mailbox not found, quota filled, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

in general, the POP3 protocol will handle this on its own if a server is down or delayed...the message will be re-attempted several times. A bounce occurs during a fatal error such as a mailbox not found, quota filled, etc...
    Right. But a flag on the affiliate account - for the affiliate to see when he/she logs in - will still communicate there is a problem.

Judi,

You get other emails from ShareASale just not the ones from Geno's account? Or you don't get any from ShareASale....?
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

I got that one from you a month or so ago and I get things from Carolyn but I never get anything Geno sends to the group until he mentions bounces here and then sends it to me direct. At that point, I don't know how it's traveling, whether through the system or not.

Judi,

My guess is that your spam filter is catching emails from ShareASale@ShareASale.com then... do you know which spam filter you have in use?
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

ummmmmmmmmm no.

I use Outlook Express to download, but I don't know what the server has on it. Whatever it is, it lets plenty of spam through. I don't have any kind of separate Spam filter that I installed.

I'll make sure the address above is in my address book. That might help, right?

hmm. well, if you send me your userId I can send you a test message and see what is showing up for us.... if your server uses spam protection it might be rejecting back to us with a message.

Outlook Express does have some Junk Filtering that it has, depending on which version you have and what settings you have turned on... do you see a "Junk" or "Spam" folder on your version?
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

No junk or spam folders. I set up some of my own, but I know what you're talking about. I'll send you my user ID for a test message. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    Brian,

Would it help if we let you know which affiliates' e-mails bounce back?

Geno
    I've used the same ISP POP3 e-mail address for 10 years *but* it might change if I were to upgrade my system.

My ISP has a DSL option (I believe) but if I were to upgrade, I'd be tempted to switch everything (phones, tv,internet) to Optimum Cable. If I were to do that, I'd lose my beloved e-mail address of 10 years.

I still have dial-up.

I was just responding to your query with a valid reason why an affiliate's e-mail might bounce (change of ISP providers etc.). Sometimes there could be a valid reason but submission to a directory would not be valid.

I love my e-mail address so much I have stayed with "the same" (or whoever bought out my ISP's domain) for 10 years -- I am still in a dial-up format because I am not sure which direction I should go.

I imagine the confusion that could be caused if I switched to another company.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Outsourced Program Manager
    I found that many of my newletters that went to aol users did not make it.
    I have no idea why an affiliate use a aol or hotmail account and does not use the email for that website when he signs up as an affiliate with a merchant.

If he doesn't want the newletter, write me and tell me BUT what happens if its important information? How do I tell him?

I have found that the majority of non-delievered email's were to non or poor preforming affiliates so no great loss.:-)
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    I have found that the majority of non-delievered email's were to non or poor preforming affiliates so no great loss.:-)
    Well... It is a weird situation when you specifically send out an e-mail, making the activation sweet, but they do not even get it. Like I said: I am sorry that they will never know what they have missed (and this whole thread was started out with one desire - to make it possible for those that missed the offer know that they missed one).

Geno

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread