What incentives do affiliates most want to see?
    So what kind of incentives do affiliates want to see to get them to give me fast posting of my banners links and prime real estate on their web pages? Is CASH king, so a cash bonus for new members? OR what about an increase in % for the first few that get me some sales? OR a cash bonus for reaching a certain goal?

I've seen all of them listed here....what's the favorite?

PS...I posted an annoucement about our program, but still waiting for it to be approved!

Three things are important:

1) Good selection at good prices
    2) Reliable tracking of sales
    3) Reliable payment of commissions

Everything else is just fluff. Maybe others have a different take on the matter, but when I hear "activation bonus" and other such things, I see "desperation" and it undermines my confidence in the merchant.

Instant CAH rules.

Geno

Talking
    I pretty much agree with No Wires

I've been known to put up a banner for an instant cash bonus though. )

what Really floats my boat is when I find an aff. merchant who is selling stuff that is'nt already available at 1000's of sites on the web...

nice topic. I have not yet tried any bonus campaign planning on kick starting one off for mother's day. Lets see how it goes!
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

Unhappy
    No Mother's Day campaign i hope affiliates are satisfied with good conversion and good comission :|
    [B][URL=http://ablogfullofgames.blogspot.com/]Blog Games[/URL]
    [URL="http://fractalenlightenment.blogspot.com"][COLOR="Red"]Our Blog[/COLOR][/URL][/B]

At Andy's Affiliate Manager Training Seminar, he shares he secrets for high affiliate activation. It's not any one thing. It's a combination of things. You can pick most of it up by watching what he does here and applying to one or two of his programs, but you would really need to go to one of his seminars (or spend several years learning them yourself) to find out all the different strategies that improve activation. One of the central aspects to it is the instant cash bonus, as Geno pointed out. But there's much more to it than just that.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    Three things are important:

1) Good selection at good prices
    2) Reliable tracking of sales
    3) Reliable payment of commissions

Everything else is just fluff. Maybe others have a different take on the matter, but when I hear "activation bonus" and other such things, I see "desperation" and it undermines my confidence in the merchant.
    I don't think activation incentives are "desperation", they are meant to encourage partners to put the links up now instead of putting it off for something mroe important. Any experienced AM will tell you that many or most affiliates who join don't put up links right away or even ever. The activation incentives are designed to prompt them put the links up so they don't put it off or never "get around to it". I'm sure there are times when it's desperation but I think any new program should offer these incentives to encourage such activity.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I agree with Michael, it's best to develop a quiver of recruiting tools because we're all so different out here. And Andy's seminar offers a very quick path to learning the one's that are proven to work best.

Personally, I've grown my biz enough where I now base my partner choices mainly on relationships. And those that know me, know I'm a pain to get on board because I'm cautious and busy - but once I climb on, I'm the fungus you can't get rid of!

The candy that catches my eye beyond that is - situations that show obvious signs of a strong ethical slant - SAS Exclusive Merchants on AutoDeposit, AndyR managed programs, an AM like ChuckH posting here at ABW about purging bad players, ABW straight-shooting AM club (AMs that post openly and honestly at ABW), etc...

Ethics matter, but just as important to me (and proven through experience), is that my chance of my success in these situations is very high.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    \Ethics matter, but just as important to me (and proven through experience), is that my chance of my success in these situations is very high.

I LOVE hearing that. That is soooo important to in my business (and my life)

Thanks for the thoughtful insights. Where can I find Andy that eveyone is talking about? I agree that it is probably a well rounded program that will attract the best affiliates and keep them happy. So that is what I'm trying to work on doing. I'm wanting to make the best of the affiliate relationship for all involved by learning as much as I can and asking Q's from the experts...YOU!

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

"Any experienced AM will tell you that many or most affiliates who join don't put up links right away or even ever."

Any affiliate who is not motivated enough to promote a particular program without a "nudge" is not likely to actively promote it much further than the minimum initial effort required to collect the 'nudge'.

Rather than offering, say, $10 each to anybody and everybody who will put up a link and wave their hand, why not seek out the top 5 percent of producers who are already promoting in your vertical, and offer them $200 each?

You can buy 100 affiliates for $1,000, but you can't buy producers. Producers didn't become producers by chasing every free lunch that comes down the pike.

Thanks for the link to Andy...woah. Great info.

I like the idea of the top people getting a bonus. I have so much to learn. I'm off to ask Andy about his services! I've gotten this far in business realizing I can't do it ALL.

Quote Originally Posted by NoWires
    Rather than offering, say, $10 each to anybody and everybody who will put up a link and wave their hand, why not seek out the top 5 percent of producers who are already promoting in your vertical, and offer them $200 each?

You can buy 100 affiliates for $1,000, but you can't buy producers. Producers didn't become producers by chasing every free lunch that comes down the pike.
    Well... Problem is: you may miss the next top producer if you don't motivate him/her from the outset... Also: keep in mind that cash is not given to just anyone. I have these banner farms sticking my links among other links, other sites putting my banner in rotation with some crap, etc, etc... Everything is monitored for QUALITY prior to giveing away $5, $10, $20, whatever.

Geno

An activation incentive isn't the "be all to end all" but is just one way to help increase sales or performance. I've had partners go from no clicks to good performers just by reaching out to them and starting a dialogue. Talking to them didn't make them good performers, they were good performers before and were performing well for other merchants. Now, they perform well for my clients. Activation incentives are just another tool and won't appeal to everyone.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Outsourced Program Manager
    Incentives
    I have tried them all,

To get the affiliates to get a link up giving them a cash bonus but only after the third sale NOT just for getting a link up. I am not going to pay affiliates for links. You need to wait until the third sale to make sure the traffic is real not an affiliate buying something for himself.
    Results About 5% of the non active got the link up, less than 5% of those got the bonus,,,

I believe in rewarding the affiliates that produce with higher commissions and bonus's as well. Run monthly highest affiliate sales earns a $50 bonus or... To make sure that all the preforming affiliates get a chance at the bonus I make it that you can only earn the bonus once every 6 months or so.

I also reward the first sales totalling over a certain amount with an increase in commisisons ( from 10%-12%). This is a great incentive as its the gift thta keeps on giving.

So many ways to motivate but it only works for the affiliates that are truly interested in making your site work for them. Those are the guys I want
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    Results About 5% of the non active got the link up, less than 5% of those got the bonus,,,
    Very interesting stats. Thank you for sharing it, Richard.

How did you get the 5% of the non-actives to get the link up? Do they know it from the outset that it is only after the third sale that they will get any monetary reward or do they get at least something for putting the link up?

Geno

From an affiliate point of view the following is also a good way to get affiliate's attention. This competiton was derived after good feedback by Trust and others in a different thread (which I can't find right now):
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=71425

Edited: found the underlying thread: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=71227
    [URL=http://www.golfbeginnerguide.com/]Golf Beginner Guide[/URL] ; [URL=http://www.ladygolfersguide.com/]Lady Golfers Guide[/URL]

Outsourced Program Manager
    I track the affiliates by sales. And I tell them right up front that they get the bonus on the third sale.

Like I said I am not going to reward an affiliate to get a link up. He joined the program so to make use of what I have to offer, now it is to his benefit to get the link on his site.

Merchants would go broke rewarding affiliates to just place a link on their site.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by Richard - AMWSO
    Merchants would go broke rewarding affiliates to just place a link on their site.
    Not of every link is verified by the AM for eligibility (which should be defined up front in the activation incentive e-mail) to get their activation bounty.

Geno

Incentives for activity % (clicks, sales etc.) would be good.

Someone stated payment to those who already sell for you for the top sellers, this is a good idea, but have found companies to do that in the past and when they did, places like Google etc. were top sellers and the smaller man had absolutely no chance in achieving that goal.

Some people over at linkshare offer $30 etc. for selling certain amounts like $500 to $1000 in sales etc. you get a bonus. I like that idea the best and has worked well for us.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread